A New Constitution

As so many people pointed out on an earlier thread of mine, compromise in Washington is just a pipe dream. In other words, America is sunk. If I were to rewrite the constitution, it would look something like this:
1. Consul- Serves for 5 year terms and can run unlimited times. Presides over Supreme Court, High Council, and Senate.
2. Court- 9 judges. Works close to how the current one does, except the judges are appointed by the individual Houses that make up the Senate, ie each house has three judges.
3. High Council- Sort of like the Cabinet. Made of however many Counsellors needed. Elected by the people. MUST be one of the foremost minds in that respective field. Is NOT allowed to interfere with work of any other Counsellor, except with special permission from the Consul. High Council members introduce laws, bills, regulations, etc related to their particular area.
4. Senate- Composed of 3 Houses: Upper, Middle, and Lower.
Upper- 50 members. 1 from each state. Elected ONLY by the wealthy (those making over 250k a year) in that respective state.
Middle- 200 members. 4 from each state. Elected ONLY by the middle class (those making 249k-21k) in that respective state.
Lower- 50 members. 1 from each state. Elected ONLY by the poor (those making less than 21k a year) in that respective state.
Senate must pass a budget in conjunction with Consul and Counsellor of Economics by the first of each year, for that year, else they forfeit ALL paychecks that shall NOT be paid until a budget that turns a surplus for the nation is approved by an 80% majority. Laws are passed with a 60% majority from the senate, featuring at least 30% support from each of the Houses. People of all nations, creeds, and faiths may vote in the elections, so long as they are a citizen of the nation. Senatorial elections are for three years in all three Houses. High Counsellors may be removed at any time as long as approved by a basic majority in the Senate and moved by the Consul.

I've even created a new name for the country with this constitution: the Free and Independent States of America (FISA, for short).

Any thoughts or changes anybody would make to this constitution?

What a hoot.

We're already not obeying the Constitution we have.

And your solution is to make another?

Where do you get the idea that will change anything? :cuckoo:

Because the people who put this into motion will have been tired of people (politicians) breaking Constitutional rules. It will be a Constitution for the people, by the people. Why I'm putting it here on Forums for the "people" to have an input on what goes in it.

Here's a simple, but fundamental "tweak": All new legislation requires a two-thirds majority to pass. But all existing legislation can be repealed with a simple majority.

I like the two-thirds majority, but not the simple repealing. How about 55-60%?

Easy repeal is essential. It prevents us from getting mired in laws and policies that don't have broad support

Here's a simple, but fundamental "tweak": All new legislation requires a two-thirds majority to pass. But all existing legislation can be repealed with a simple majority.

I like the two-thirds majority, but not the simple repealing. How about 55-60%?

Easy repeal is essential. It prevents us from getting mired in laws and policies that don't have broad support

Fine, 55% minimum, though.

Even Madison implied that majority rule is the Republican principle. Appeal to a larger legislative body, perhaps all the state legislatures could take the place of a filibuster, after all,the intent of the framers to have around one representative per 30,000 citizens has been long left behind. A somewhat similar proposal is being made for California.

Ben Franklin wanted only a one-house legislature. Perhaps breaking up some of the larger states into smaller ones would be a half-way point to that. Texas upon coming into the union maintained the right to split into 5 states, it should do so. Then NewYork and California would probably want to follow suit.

Forum List

Back