A man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American'

Doesn't the same hold true for people trying to eat their supper in a restaurant?
I would say so but the problem that they ran into if you're referring to Hucklebee is that they were eating on the private property of the person who didn't want them there. If someone tried to enter the restaurant where they were having dinner to protest them or harassment, then they could have simply been legally removed from the property.

You don't get to "have the last word" in a random discussion/argument as this gal did by having them arrested. It's an argument/disagreement/debate or whatever you want to call it. She engaged him, and case in point, he /did/ step back when she requested it, if he /hadn't/ then he wouldn't be on the far side of the shot at the end of her recording.

He's a dick, no doubt about it, but being a dick is not illegal. He did /not/ threaten her, he argued with her, that's it.
So they arrested him for no reason then?

You don't get to "have the last word" in a random discussion/argument as this gal did by having them arrested. It's an argument/disagreement/debate or whatever you want to call it. She engaged him, and case in point, he /did/ step back when she requested it, if he /hadn't/ then he wouldn't be on the far side of the shot at the end of her recording.

He's a dick, no doubt about it, but being a dick is not illegal. He did /not/ threaten her, he argued with her, that's it.

Fairly sure he was arrested for "assault" because he laid hands upon the young man at the end (the two of them were in a small pushing contest if you watch close enough)

. However, I disagree with arresting him for engaging in an active debate - aka she was discussing with him vs just ignoring him - is not something one gets arrested for.

To argue that he should be arrested merely for being a dick and "making her uncomfortable" would get half the fucking nation arrested because quite frankly I get screamed at and put in "potential" physical danger every time I drive lol

Wow! Are you really serious? She didnt invite him to a debate. He approached her in a threatening manner. She should broken his kneecaps when he got close enough.

You know, for once I thought you men out there would not be on this asshole's side when he was clearly harassing this woman and especially when his dumbass didn't even know that PR was a US territory and theose born there were indeed US citizens. I guess I should have known better.

Oh, and that deal about not touching her is no reason to "stand your ground." There are plenty of instances where it was used when people who weren't touched did just that. It doesn't say you have to be touched, it just says you have to fear for your safety. He was clearly threatening to her and she did fear for her safety because she kept calling for that do nothing cop who probably was on the attackers side.
One more time and I'll type real slow for you.

Find someone who supports the Second Amendment who has said it was okay to shoot someone who hasn't touched you?

BTW....simply pointing out your hypocrisy is in no way an endorsement of this clowns behavior. Get that through your head right from the start.
You know we're obviously looking at this from different perspectives. As a female you don't want irrate and drunk men getting too close to you particularly since she told him to stop bothering her and to get away from her and he wouldn't.

From an armed defensive perspective, if he's close enough to touch her after being told to cease his behavior or advance, then he's already too close because he's also close enough to take the weapon.
No. Here is the perspective I am looking at with regard to this whole ordeal.

If this had been a drunk liberal doing this to a conservative woman, there would not be a fucking peep from any left-leaning imbecile on this forum. Not a one.

In fact, I would put real money on the fact that at least three posters here would say that it was appropriate to attack a conservative woman because of her beliefs.

So, you'll have to pardon Me if I don't get all riled up by the faux outrage by anyone on this forum.

The man is an idiot and if he had managed to get his ass kicked for doing this, I would expect the cop and any other person to look away and chalk it up to 'he deserved that'.

But when you have leftists throwing wine and other liquids on conservatives in restaurants, chasing them out of public places by getting into their personal space and screaming at them like this guy did, and NONE OF YOU SAY ANYTHING.....then I could not care less what you think of this guy.

Fairly sure he was arrested for "assault" because he laid hands upon the young man at the end (the two of them were in a small pushing contest if you watch close enough)

According to the video in this article, the officer in the video was actually there for another call about the drunk man. Caught on video: Man harangues woman in park for wearing Puerto Rico shirt; police officer does little to help

The other call is also mentioned here: 'Are you a citizen?' Man harasses woman wearing Puerto Rico T-shirt

Maybe there are charges related to the other incident? :dunno:

Meh he was a dick, no denying that. However, I disagree with arresting him for engaging in an active debate - aka she was discussing with him vs just ignoring him - is not something one gets arrested for. He was almost certainly arrested for the physical altercation with the other guy; they were pushing each other. As I gather the drunk got belligerent with the officer when asked to settle down and back off. That was his "crime," not engaging in debate with the young woman.

To argue that he should be arrested merely for being a dick and "making her uncomfortable" would get half the fucking nation arrested because quite frankly I get screamed at and put in "potential" physical danger every time I drive lol
Just because a person converses with someone else doesn't mean they have to continue with the conversation or that they don't have the right to terminate it and further contact with the person if during the course of the conversation they become verbally abusive or threatening. The fact that she essentially told him to back off and that what he was doing was making her uncomfortable and he wouldn't means that he knew that his continued verbal assault was unwanted and was therefore at that point intentional.

People who are drunk & disorderly and acting like an ass get arrested all of the time.

Assault and/or battery laws are not relevant to street harassment in every state, but when they are, you will find them listed under the "Verbal Harassment" or "Groping" sections of those states.
In many states, assault and battery are considered two separate crimes.

Assault
In general, a person commits an assault when, by word or action, s/he places another
person in fear of receiving a battery.

Battery
A person commits a battery when s/he intentionally touches, strikes, or injures another
person without that person’s consent.

When assault and battery are defined as separate crimes, one can take place without the other.
For example, someone can verbally assault you but the situation might not escalate to battery.
Alternatively, in many states groping is considered battery because it is nonconsensual touching.

Someone might commit battery by groping, but it needn’t be preceded or followed by an
assault.

We usually hear of assault and battery together because acts of violence such as fights
are often preceded by verbal assault. However, in the case of street harassment, it may be just as likely that assault or battery happen independently of one another.
http://www.stopstreetharassment.org...ourRights-StreetHarassmentandtheLaw-20131.pdf

He did not step back when requested. At the end of the recording there is a clear break in the video. I hear her ask him to step back 4 times, in groupings of 2. The second grouping of 2, she appears to step away from him, not the other way around. The man obviously eventually moves away from her. From the video, it seems to happen when he goes to speak to the officer.

Meh he was a dick, no denying that. However, I disagree with arresting him for engaging in an active debate - aka she was discussing with him vs just ignoring him - is not something one gets arrested for. He was almost certainly arrested for the physical altercation with the other guy; they were pushing each other. As I gather the drunk got belligerent with the officer when asked to settle down and back off. That was his "crime," not engaging in debate with the young woman.

Just because a person converses with someone else doesn't mean they have to continue with the conversation or that they don't have the right to terminate it and further contact with the person if during the course of the conversation they become verbally abusive or threatening. The fact that she essentially told him to back off and that what he was doing was making her uncomfortable and he wouldn't means that he knew that his continued verbal assault was unwanted and was therefore at that point intentional.

People who are drunk & disorderly and acting like an ass get arrested all of the time.

Assault and/or battery laws are not relevant to street harassment in every state, but when they are, you will find them listed under the "Verbal Harassment" or "Groping" sections of those states.
In many states, assault and battery are considered two separate crimes.

Assault
In general, a person commits an assault when, by word or action, s/he places another
person in fear of receiving a battery.

Battery
A person commits a battery when s/he intentionally touches, strikes, or injures another
person without that person’s consent.

When assault and battery are defined as separate crimes, one can take place without the other.
For example, someone can verbally assault you but the situation might not escalate to battery.
Alternatively, in many states groping is considered battery because it is nonconsensual touching.

Someone might commit battery by groping, but it needn’t be preceded or followed by an
assault.

We usually hear of assault and battery together because acts of violence such as fights
are often preceded by verbal assault. However, in the case of street harassment, it may be just as likely that assault or battery happen independently of one another.
http://www.stopstreetharassment.org...ourRights-StreetHarassmentandtheLaw-20131.pdf
EXACTLY! This was harassment, not debate. And you are right about your definition of assault.

A while back I was the "victim" of a road rage incident. The guy was pissed because he passed me on the right on a city street with curbs coming up on him fast. I was in the lane I was supposed to be in but he thought I should hit my brakes and let him in ahead of me before he hit the curb.

He passed me like a madman and slammed on his breaks, AND GOT OUT OF HIS TRUCK. I didn't, I just recorded. I also called the police. The police arrived, and arrested him for ASSAULT.

The threatening act of getting out of his car and approaching me, was ASSAULT.

Whatever may have happened before the video we see, is irrelevant. The man should have been arrested. But then, so should THOUSANDS of Antifa RIOTERS who confuse rioting and harassment with peaceful protest.

No. Here is the perspective I am looking at with regard to this whole ordeal.

If this had been a drunk liberal doing this to a conservative woman, there would not be a fucking peep from any left-leaning imbecile on this forum. Not a one.
What is wrong with looking at the situation without the labels (conservative/liberal)? If something is unlawful it is no more or less unlawful due to the leanings of the perpetrator versus the victim.

A man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American' - CNN
(CNN)An Illinois park is investigating after a woman accused one of its police officers of standing by as a man harassed her for wearing a shirt with the Puerto Rican flag, saying it was un-American.

Mia Irizarry says she was trying to celebrate her 24th birthday in the Forest Preserves of Cook County last month when the man approached her asking her why she was wearing the sleeveless Puerto Rico flag shirt, which also had "Puerto Rico" written below the V neckline.

Irizarry recorded the encounter on her phone, saying she felt threatened, and posted the video to Facebook.

On Monday, Forest Preserves of Cook County tweeted that it was aware of the June 14 incident and video.

‏"After the incident, we immediately launched an investigation pursuant to our personnel policies into the response of our officer," it said, in a series of posts on Twitter.

"The investigation is ongoing and the officer involved has been assigned to desk duty pending the outcome. The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.​

So my only question is since Puerto Rico is a part of "America" anyone convinced that this wasn't "racism"?

Just a typical right winger out for a day of harassing other's who don't look like him.

I just saw on the news that the drunk in this video has been charged with 2 felony hate crimes, the officer involved has resigned but I believe is still under investigation. The PD has also indicated that they plan on using this video as a training tool (on what not to do I'm guessing)

It would be wonderful if this incident served as a deterrent to others. I guess only time will tell.

I just saw on the news that the drunk in this video has been charged with 2 felony hate crimes, the officer involved has resigned but I believe is still under investigation. The PD has also indicated that they plan on using this video as a training tool (on what not to do I'm guessing)

It would be wonderful if this incident served as a deterrent to others. I guess only time will tell.

I hope there is more involved in those charges than the little I see in the video.

A man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American' - CNN
(CNN)An Illinois park is investigating after a woman accused one of its police officers of standing by as a man harassed her for wearing a shirt with the Puerto Rican flag, saying it was un-American.

Mia Irizarry says she was trying to celebrate her 24th birthday in the Forest Preserves of Cook County last month when the man approached her asking her why she was wearing the sleeveless Puerto Rico flag shirt, which also had "Puerto Rico" written below the V neckline.

Irizarry recorded the encounter on her phone, saying she felt threatened, and posted the video to Facebook.

On Monday, Forest Preserves of Cook County tweeted that it was aware of the June 14 incident and video.

‏"After the incident, we immediately launched an investigation pursuant to our personnel policies into the response of our officer," it said, in a series of posts on Twitter.

"The investigation is ongoing and the officer involved has been assigned to desk duty pending the outcome. The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.​

So my only question is since Puerto Rico is a part of "America" anyone convinced that this wasn't "racism"?

Just a typical right winger out for a day of harassing other's who don't look like him.

There is likely more to the story than your simple mind can comprehend.

Besides, honest people understand PR is not really the United States.

"Honest people"? Puerto Rico is, and has been for over 100 years, a part of the US. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Do you also not think that Guam, Samoa, or the US Virgin Islands are part of the US? Not being a state doesn't mean Puerto Rico isn't part of the US.

"Honest people"? Puerto Rico is, and has been for over 100 years, a part of the US. Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Do you also not think that Guam, Samoa, or the US Virgin Islands are part of the US? Not being a state doesn't mean Puerto Rico isn't part of the US.
No. They are not REALLY Americans.

No. They are not REALLY Americans.

Maybe by your personal opinion, but by US law, they certainly are.

Forum List

Back