A man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American'

A man harasses a woman for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt, saying it's 'un-American' - CNN
(CNN)An Illinois park is investigating after a woman accused one of its police officers of standing by as a man harassed her for wearing a shirt with the Puerto Rican flag, saying it was un-American.

Mia Irizarry says she was trying to celebrate her 24th birthday in the Forest Preserves of Cook County last month when the man approached her asking her why she was wearing the sleeveless Puerto Rico flag shirt, which also had "Puerto Rico" written below the V neckline.

Irizarry recorded the encounter on her phone, saying she felt threatened, and posted the video to Facebook.

On Monday, Forest Preserves of Cook County tweeted that it was aware of the June 14 incident and video.

‏"After the incident, we immediately launched an investigation pursuant to our personnel policies into the response of our officer," it said, in a series of posts on Twitter.

"The investigation is ongoing and the officer involved has been assigned to desk duty pending the outcome. The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.​

So my only question is since Puerto Rico is a part of "America" anyone convinced that this wasn't "racism"?

That's just typical of these people. They don't understand things, but they think they know it all.
Typical of their ignorance and hate.

Yet the threads you post are very selective.
You're not outraged by some abuses, but you are outraged by abuses against your "protected classes."
Are you male or female?
It is unamerican to have protected classes. We don't have classes, and we ate ALL supposed to be treated equally under the law.
I know we all are supposed to be treated equally but since discrimination was written into our laws it was kind of difficult for many people to actually implement equality therefore the laws had to be changed. It had to be spelled out that discrimination was unlawful and that those who continued to engage in unlawful discriminatory behavior could be sued. Part of that new law was the creation of what is referred to as protected classes which only means that it is unlawful to discriminate against any member of this class due to their protected status.

You're not outraged by some abuses, but you are outraged by abuses against your "protected classes."
Are you male or female?
It is unamerican to have protected classes. We don't have classes, and we ate ALL supposed to be treated equally under the law.
I know we all are supposed to be treated equally but since discrimination was written into our laws it was kind of difficult for many people to actually implement equality therefore the laws had to be changed. It had to be spelled out that discrimination was unlawful and that those who continued to engage in unlawful discriminatory behavior could be sued. Part of that new law was the creation of what is referred to as protected classes which only means that it is unlawful to discriminate against any member of this class due to their protected status.

Well, that's not necessarily true. For example, firing someone for being a member of a protected class may be against the law, but firing them for being a member of an unprotected class may be perfectly legal. That has come up regarding homosexuals in recent time, both in the media and the legal system. Civil Rights Act covers LGBT workplace discrimination, federal appeals court rules

So protected classes do seem to have protections that others do not, at least in some circumstances. Rather than making things equal, they seem to sometimes swing the pendulum to the other side, so to speak. I do agree, however, that the impetus behind such laws was to prevent poor or unequal treatment.

Are you male or female?

Well, that's not necessarily true. For example, firing someone for being a member of a protected class may be against the law, but firing them for being a member of an unprotected class may be perfectly legal. That has come up regarding homosexuals in recent time, both in the media and the legal system. Civil Rights Act covers LGBT workplace discrimination, federal appeals court rules

So protected classes do seem to have protections that others do not, at least in some circumstances. Rather than making things equal, they seem to sometimes swing the pendulum to the other side, so to speak. I do agree, however, that the impetus behind such laws was to prevent poor or unequal treatment.
You can't fire someone for being white -- I know white folks like you really want to pretend you are being oppressed but you are not...and I also see you don't know what protected class truly means...

So I will ask you to name me ANY law that was historically designed to disenfranchise white men -- and affirmative action isnt one, sorry to disappoint you...

Are you male or female?

You can't fire someone for being white -- I know white folks like you really want to pretend you are being oppressed but you are not...and I also see you don't know what protected class truly means...

So I will ask you to name me ANY law that was historically designed to disenfranchise white men -- and affirmative action isnt one, sorry to disappoint you...

What in the actual fuck are you going on about? When did I say anything about, or even hint about, white folks being oppressed? When did I even hint that a law was designed to disenfranchise white men?

If you didn't realize it, race is a protected class. One of the first, along with religion, national origin, and sex.

Please take your straw men and play with them somewhere else. ;)

Forum List

Back