A Liberal Video on Walmart and the Minimum Wage that Made Me Think

You can bash the concept before watching the video, which was my first reaction. However, the video points out that raising a Walmart employee at the minimum wage to the so-called "living wage" of $13.63 would cause Walmart to have to raise prices by $0.01!

Thoughts?

It then makes, what I believe is an erroneous claim, that if they raised the amount then people would go off of food stamps. I think it is erroneous, because I believe they still qualify at that low level.

So if Wal MArt could raise wages that much and only charge one penny more, why haven't they done that? Wouldn't they want to attract better workers, who will show up on time more and make fewer mistakes? Is Wal Mart, the most successful retailer in history, run by stupid people?

They haven't because Walmart's management is there to maximize profits. And the shareholders say who runs the company.

If Walmart Paid Its Employees a Living Wage, How Much Would Prices Go Up? - YouTube

You can bash the concept before watching the video, which was my first reaction. However, the video points out that raising a Walmart employee at the minimum wage to the so-called "living wage" of $13.63 would cause Walmart to have to raise prices by $0.01!

Thoughts?

It then makes, what I believe is an erroneous claim, that if they raised the amount then people would go off of food stamps. I think it is erroneous, because I believe they still qualify at that low level.

I just came back from Australia.

People there have a high minimum wage.

You know what that yields?

A happy country.

If Walmart Paid Its Employees a Living Wage, How Much Would Prices Go Up? - YouTube

Thoughts?

There is a wonderful quote from the comedian Chris Rock on this subject:
I used to work at McDonald's making minimum wage. You know what that means when someone pays you minimum wage? You know what your boss was trying to say? It's like, "Hey if I could pay you less, I would, but it's against the law."

Unfortunately, Walmart is not demonstrating the prescience of Henry Ford. More on this in a minute.

When one contracts a company to do work for them, does one not seek out the lowest bid? Or at least the lowest bid with the best reputation and quality? If one received two bids from fungible providers of services, would one not choose the lowest bid? Why should we expect more from any other human being?

It is, at least at first glance, to the advantage of the employer to pay the smallest amount possible in wages. An employee at Walmart is working at Walmart and making minimum wage because that person does not have easily marketable skills. Given the large supply of low skilled job seekers and a relatively low demand, the price for an hour or labor decreases. This is straight out of undergrad econ.

The problem is that there is a disparity in power. The employee at Walmart is next to powerless, unlike a lawyer who may not need your retainer. This is how labor unions are born: when a group of employees realize that in order to bargain for higher wages they must do so collectively. It is by way of their collective bargaining that they bring some economic power to the table.

As an alternative to picket lines and strike busters at our local Walmart superstore, our government could raise the minimum wage such that the employees at Walmart could actually afford to buy items at Walmart. This would have the added benefit of increasing spending across a wide population, which is good for our service-based national economy.

The devil is in the details. How much of a wage hike should we give? What is the correct answer? Has our current Congress demonstrated the necessary acumen, or even willpower, to determine that correct answer?

It would be better if Walmart and other low wage employers corrected this problem themselves. It would be advantageous to Walmart in many respects to find some creative reorganization to increase wages. They could implement new ranks with new pay grades, recognition of seniority, relatively substantial cash bonuses for star employees, etc... This would do wonders for their public image, greatly increase retention of the best employees, and might even result in a higher volume of sales.

Unfortunately, Walmart is not demonstrating the prescience of Henry Ford. There is a wonderful article in Forbes on this subject.
"Would Henry Ford Double His Workers' Wages Today?"

Unfortunately I'm new here and I don't think I can post links just yet.

Thoughts?

So if Wal MArt could raise wages that much and only charge one penny more, why haven't they done that? Wouldn't they want to attract better workers, who will show up on time more and make fewer mistakes? Is Wal Mart, the most successful retailer in history, run by stupid people?

They haven't because Walmart's management is there to maximize profits. And the shareholders say who runs the company.

And Costco is there to be charitable and a nice guy, right?
Geezus you're such a fucking retard it's hard to imagine people that stupid exist.

Thoughts?

There is a wonderful quote from the comedian Chris Rock on this subject:
I used to work at McDonald's making minimum wage. You know what that means when someone pays you minimum wage? You know what your boss was trying to say? It's like, "Hey if I could pay you less, I would, but it's against the law."

Unfortunately, Walmart is not demonstrating the prescience of Henry Ford. More on this in a minute.

When one contracts a company to do work for them, does one not seek out the lowest bid? Or at least the lowest bid with the best reputation and quality? If one received two bids from fungible providers of services, would one not choose the lowest bid? Why should we expect more from any other human being?

It is, at least at first glance, to the advantage of the employer to pay the smallest amount possible in wages. An employee at Walmart is working at Walmart and making minimum wage because that person does not have easily marketable skills. Given the large supply of low skilled job seekers and a relatively low demand, the price for an hour or labor decreases. This is straight out of undergrad econ.

The problem is that there is a disparity in power. The employee at Walmart is next to powerless, unlike a lawyer who may not need your retainer. This is how labor unions are born: when a group of employees realize that in order to bargain for higher wages they must do so collectively. It is by way of their collective bargaining that they bring some economic power to the table.

As an alternative to picket lines and strike busters at our local Walmart superstore, our government could raise the minimum wage such that the employees at Walmart could actually afford to buy items at Walmart. This would have the added benefit of increasing spending across a wide population, which is good for our service-based national economy.

The devil is in the details. How much of a wage hike should we give? What is the correct answer? Has our current Congress demonstrated the necessary acumen, or even willpower, to determine that correct answer?

It would be better if Walmart and other low wage employers corrected this problem themselves. It would be advantageous to Walmart in many respects to find some creative reorganization to increase wages. They could implement new ranks with new pay grades, recognition of seniority, relatively substantial cash bonuses for star employees, etc... This would do wonders for their public image, greatly increase retention of the best employees, and might even result in a higher volume of sales.

Unfortunately, Walmart is not demonstrating the prescience of Henry Ford. There is a wonderful article in Forbes on this subject.
"Would Henry Ford Double His Workers' Wages Today?"

Unfortunately I'm new here and I don't think I can post links just yet.

You need to go immediately to Bentonville and make a presentation to WalMart's executives on your brilliant plan: raise labor costs dramatically so their employees can buy WM products.
Where do you suppose WM employees shop today? The dumpster?
But damned are you one ignorant mo-fo.

Thoughts?

That isn't how business profit margins work.

It just isn't.

The whole, entire video looks it was made by someone with a 9 year-old's understanding of business.

Which is still higher than the average dimocrap's

Costco customers are incredibly loyal, thanks in part to the chain's commitment to signature offerings.

Given that about 75 percent of Costco's operating profit comes from membership fees alone, "literally every decision Costco makes comes down to what the member wants," Altukhaim wrote. And members are evidently happy: The warehouse chain has a renewal rate of nearly 90 percent.

Costco's Kirkland brand, which accounts for about 20 percent of the company's sales, according to Landes, is evidently one of the things customers want.
You posted a bunch of stuff and asserted a correlation. It doesn't work that way, changing fonts and colors doesn't help. Prove that WalMart's business model is based on government subsidies. In this state under $1,800 a month qualifies you for EBT benefits. Not just for WalMart employees. Lots of people qualify and have it so you could use your same rationale to make the same claim For Starbucks, Target, no doubt Costco and anyone else. Singling out one company is dishonest.

No, not every decision comes down to what members want. No business could survive that way. Not all prices are cheaper, as has been pointed out. I've been a member for many years and you have to know the difference. Most members probably don't. They are just going to get what they want and pay more since they are already there for the good deals, and there are good deals.

Costco has no competition around here. The closest thing would be WinCo, which is sort of a hybrid warehouse/retail grocery store. It's employee owned and a no frills type atmosphere, you bag your own stuff and like Costco they don't accept credit cards. That's a 3% gain over WallyWorld right there. I've been shopping less at Costco and more at WinCo since I don't want to buy such large sizes and there's a better selection.

Members no doubt would prefer more of a selection but Costco buys in massive bulk with a limited selection.

Threads fizzled fast when no one can attack the op lol.

No one even argued about the video...interesting

It is too difficult to explain to people like you, with the memory of a goldfish and the IQ of a Rhesus Monkey so I'm not even going to try.

Just tell me this.......

If it would only increase the cost of goods by an average of $.01 per item, then why doesn't a competitor cherry pick ALL of WalMarts best employees and put WalMart out of business?

Know what the difference is between one Corporation and another?

Of course not -- You're stupid.

The difference is simple -- People.

Not Business Models, not Profit Margins, not anything other than -- People.

People at the top making decisions, people in the middle doing the buying and marketing and people on the bottom greeting the customer with a smile instead of a frown.

But you're too stupid to know that.

Ask Sears what happens when you start to fuck with your employees. Ask them.

They went from the largest employer on Earth, the 4th biggest company on Earth, to barely being able to survive.

The people at WalMart are low-skill, low-ambition, low-stress-seeking types who AREN'T looking for a career. Just something to help pay for the Kids' College or to help make the Mortgage.

The ones at WalMart who ARE Career minded can find College Tuition help and positions upon completion of College.

But again, you're too stupid to know that

This is the same stupidity as the idiot post that Danish Workers make $21 an hour at McDonalds.

First, there is no minimum wage in Denmark, let's get that out of the way.

Second, $21 an hour in Denmark is SHIT wages. Shit.

Know what a McD Combo Meal costs in Denmark? $13 as opposed to $6.00 (or less) in this Country.

Oh, and I'm not done..... Denmark has a VAT (value added tax) of 25% (TWENTY FIVE PERCENT) on prepared meals, and on just about everything else.

Know something else? Taxes in Denmark are off the scale...

Taxation in Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not only is there a 25% VAT on everything from Toilet Paper to condoms, there is a Federal tax of 35% for an average earner, then there is a MUNICIPAL INCOME TAX of between 23% and 28%, plus a Local Health Tax of 5% and a Regional Tax of 3+%.

So not only are you paying TWICE as much for everything, even moderate wage earners are paying well over 50% in taxes PLUS a 25% VAT on virtually everything you purchase.

You people complaining about the American System? You're idiots. I live in Florida. I talk to people every day from literally all over the World.

ALL of them, I mean every single one of them from FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES, including Canadians, are AMAZED at how cheap everything here is. People from 3rd World Countries are another story altogether.

In Denmark, if you're making $20 and hour, you're paying somewhere around half what you earn in taxes, A 25% VAT and have to live on a frozen fucking rock.

People in this Country making MINIMUM WAGE have far more purchasing power than that idiot in Denmark making $20 an hour.

dimocraps are just stupid. They really, really are.

You people don't know how good you've got it.

You'd have to believe that WalMart is run by total retards to believe you know better how to run their business than they do. WM is the most successful retailer in history.

Even if true, what would also happen would be that all the $7.25 an hour employees would be fired and upgraded with better employees worth $13 plus an hour. So the people who would be "helped" would be unemployed. Liberal policies are always brought down by unintended consequences because liberals don't think them through.

Remember how Obamacare was going to make healthcare affordable? We were going to be able to keep our plans if we like them? LOL.

My thoughts are that you, ghook, have already made it clear that you wanted extended ue benefits because YOU needed them. So this "new" position doesn't surprise me

My question is why not raise it really high? We all know the answer, because I don't buy the 1 cent increase. every cashier making $3.00/hour more almost 50% more and they raise prices by a penny?

lets see these studies, because I'd love to see how they calculate this.

and shit, lets raise my salary to #200/hour, I'm game

This is exactly what never gets talked about while talking about increasing the MW. If the MW goes up $3 then My and most other employees working for higher than MW must be increased by $3 as I make a % over MW. I've worked my way up so I'm no longer cool with making $15 an hour if $15 is now MW..Now I need to be paid $18 and so it goes with everyone else.

I started a Min Wage job Many years ago making $2.75 an hour as a motel maid. That motel is Still there and there are maids Still cleaning those same rooms for MW of $10.10 an hour. What has changed?? Same place ~ Same job ~~~
At that time gas was less than a buck a gallon. My parents bought a home for $15,000. That same home is still exactly where it was but the price tag on that home is now about $450,000. Candy bars were a dime and you could get a Hamburger Fries and a coke for less than a dollar. Not so today. That same Hamburger Fries and coke is over 6 bucks...And it tastes Exactly the same as it did 35 years ago.

Bottom line is MW will always be just that...The Minimum Wage an employer is allowed to pay an employee. Am I still at that job even now that it pays way over what I started out.....NO...Because it was just a starter job to put on my next resume to a better job. I even got a reference to get the better paying job in a dry cleaner. Then on to better jobs & higher pay. But you can be sure if the MIN Wage goes up Everyone making more get's a COLA...It's how we got to this point where gas, food housing everything costs more.
Min Wage will never out pay an experienced worker...Only causes prices to increase across the board. MW is 15 bucks an hour I get a raise...MW is 20 bucks an hour I get an even bigger raise...My and every other employee income increases and prices rise to cover the cost MW going up. It's a viscous cycle....
The goal should be to get out of a MW position and into a higher paying position. Education, training and experience will get anyone out of a MW position.

And yeah you can increase MW to whatever and yes I'll someday be making $200 an hour but still nothing changes. I'm always going to make a % over MW because I'm not a MW worker....And the cycle continues...And prices continue to go up.

Last edited:
Costco Proves Walmart Wrong: Living Wage & Bigger Profits - YouTube

Now you have the other end of the spectrum.

Liberal always hold out Costco as the great example of an employer caring about their employees. Afterall they provide a starting wage of $11.50 and provide better than industry standard benefits. However, there is a catch. I believe there sales pitch is a mirage. They use a clever gimmick of of having you pay for membership in order to get great saving on products you have to buy bulk.

I have four kids so I do my grocery shopping based on the low price for the same product. My stops (i have it to a science) are Target (where I buy the bulk of my groceries), Mariano (crab cakes, milk etc), Walmart (soda, CHICKEN, bread), Meijer(various items) and Costco.

I find on nearly every occasion Costco is the highest. I eat a ton of chicken. It is always a $1.00 more per pound. The only items I pull their consistently are lettuce (they have very low prices), apple juice (I save a $1.00) and vitamins. So yes it has value to me, but on nearly everything else it's over-priced.

What is that cause by? Everyone who shops there has to pay a membership fee, so they get a revenue stream Walmart, Target and other grocery stores don't get. Could they have to charge more for the higher rates they pay their employees? I am pretty sure that is the reason. Are the cost a ton more? In make case YES. Take chicken. They charge $1.00 more per pound than Walmart. That is $1.99 vs $2.99 (note: Target, Marianos are typically $2.99 also). Buy 10 lb and you spent $10 extra dollars.

So we do lose purchase power to get those higher wages.

I recently went to a Costco. I'm not a member. I gave a member transport. Costco is a warehouse that sells stuff. Walmart is a store with salespeople, janitors, stockers. Restocking a Costco means driving in a pallet of stuff and parking it. Clothing is not on racks but piled on tables. There is no such thing as a try on.

Costco really can pay more because they have way fewer employees and no amenities.

are you implying that walmart has amenities?

are you implying that walmart has amenities?
Sure, they have stockers and floor people. They don't have pallets so goods are brought out to refill the store. Also they have many more items and types of items. I wish I could buy ammo at Costco. They have loss prevention and people monitoring. Costco gets around that by checking your stuff on the way out. You have to agree to it to be a member. Longer hours of operation, more employees per store.

I would be happy to pay an extra 1% on all purchases at Walmart if I knew the difference was going 100% to employee wages/benefits. A buck extra on a hundred dollar purchase.

Liberals being idiots have pushed the minimum wage up and up and up, then they complain about how expensive it is to eat, drive, etc.....yes they are that fucking stupid.

Compare the price of a Big Mac in the 80s with the minimum wage then to a Big Mac price and minimum wage today.

Liberals being idiots have pushed the minimum wage up and up and up, then they complain about how expensive it is to eat, drive, etc.....yes they are that fucking stupid.

Compare the price of a Big Mac in the 80s with the minimum wage then to a Big Mac price and minimum wage today.

You're the idiot. The minimum wage adjusted for inflation is lower now than it was in the 1960's.

Not up up up.

Forum List

Back