A Japanese Me-109

tony.osborne

Nov 5, 2014
The link below provides a rare photo of a Me-109 used by Japan, with the mark of the Rising Sun emblazoned on the fuselage. Does anyone know if Japan used German fighters in combat? The link also features a selection of photos unimaginable for the High Command of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of WW2, see their powerful Me-109 and Fw-190 fighters captured and tested with allied markings. To view all photos, visit the link below:

Avia o em Floripa Uma vis o incomum para a Luftwaffe

Cheers, Anthony.

The link below provides a rare photo of a Me-109 used by Japan, with the mark of the Rising Sun emblazoned on the fuselage. Does anyone know if Japan used German fighters in combat? The link also features a selection of photos unimaginable for the High Command of the Luftwaffe at the beginning of WW2, see their powerful Me-109 and Fw-190 fighters captured and tested with allied markings. To view all photos, visit the link below:

Avia o em Floripa Uma vis o incomum para a Luftwaffe

Cheers, Anthony.

Pretty cool! I want one of those in my back yard. :biggrin:

At first I thought you might be talking about the Kawasaki Ki-61 - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia, but you are correct.
Even though the article doesn't state that it was a copy - only that it used a license-built DB 601 engine - the design was close enough to that of the Bf-109 to confuse allied aircrews. Too close for coincidence, in my opinion.
I'm not sure if they ever used actual German fighters, but they did receive several that they built copies of (Bf-109, Me-262, Me-163, and possibly others).
As far as I know, the Ki-61 was the only one to see full production.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back