A Diabetes Discovery

CarlinAnnArbor

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
It might help a few of you.

I did an experiment today.

At 1 pm I took my blood sugar. It was 119.

I ate a medium/large raw potato with the experiment in mind. I ate nothing else.

An hour later, just a few minutes ago, I took my blood sugar again. It was 102!

As a diabetic I wasn't expecting these results! But I had heard that "cold" starches are processed differently by the body.

I think I'll start adding slices of potato to my diet.

The closer we eat to the natural, God given diet, the better off we'd all be

Next I'll try baked steak fries

I did find this:
If you are adventurous enough to try eating raw potato, consuming too much at once can cause gastrointestinal distress like vomiting, bloating and diarrhea due to the indigestible resistant starch and other compounds like lectins and solanine.Jul 23, 2023

I ate a medium/large raw potato with the experiment in mind. I ate nothing else.

As a diabetic I wasn't expecting these results! But I had heard that "cold" starches are processed differently by the body.

Interesting. I don't know much about diabetes but isn't a big part of the problem being overweight?

sweet potatoes are better....

Depends on which type you have. I grew up with a kid who was diabetic and he was skinny as a rail.
An old girlfriend who always looked thin and fit got herself diabetes by drinking at least a 2 liter Coke everyday.

Mine was caused by a tumor removed from my pancreas. The surgeon told me my chances of diabetes was 50/50 after the surgery

I'm still learning what I can and can't eat. Apparently the searches are locked in raw potatoes, making them hard to digest. Cooking starches makes it easier for the body to access the starches

Interesting. I don't know much about diabetes but isn't a big part of the problem being overweight?

There are two main kinds of diabetes.

Type 1, also known as “juvenile onset diabetes”, is caused by the direct destruction or failure of the pancreas. I understand that Type 1s tend to be thin and frail.

Type 2, also known as “adult onset diabetes”, which I have, is more complex, and not completely well understood. It involves some chemical issue that interferes with the body's ability to use insulin. Type 2s tend to be fat and sluggish, and being fat and sluggish tends to aggravate the condition. It's a nasty feedback loop. I'm a rather rare exception, in that I am Type 2, but I still have a tendency toward being underweight rather than overweight.

Depends on which type you have. I grew up with a kid who was diabetic and he was skinny as a rail.

Almost certainly a Type 1. Type 1 usually (but not always) hits very early in life, hence it's other name, “juvenile onset diabetes”. If you're going to be a Type 1, then it will most likely manifest while you're a young child.

And Type 1s tend to be thin, unlike Type 2s, that tend to be fat.

An old girlfriend who always looked thin and fit got herself diabetes by drinking at least a 2 liter Coke everyday.

You don't get diabetes by eating too much sugar. Too much sugar is bad for anyone, but if you don't have the genetic predisposition, for it, and no other underlying cause, you won't get diabetes just by taking in too much sugar. Nor, if you do have the predisposition, are you likely to avoid diabetes entirely buy limiting your sugar intake.

I have type 2 diabetes and my Doc prescribed Ozempic.
It's a once a week shot.
I've lost over 25 lbs and my appetite has crashed.
To be honest I'd rather have my appetite back.
On the plus side my hip has been feeling better and I feel like the weight loss is why.
A lot of Hollywood actors are taking it and losing weight.... I hear the side affects are bad... The bartender at the club has lost 50 pounds with it... but he had some bad side affects in the beginning...

Forum List

Back