A Day In The Life........

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
Today we left the boonies to go to Tallahassee to buy a dishwasher and groceries. It was after lunch and the 60 mile journey saw what I would call moderate traffic, certainly not light. on the way to town we heard gov. Desantis was going to have us stay home starting Thursday night so good move on our part.we arrived to a parking lot at Lowe’s that was 2/3 full. We had heard rumors that they were only allowing one person of a group in the store at a time but that proved to be false. The store was fairly crowded and the only different takeaway was that people were wiping down pretty consistently and a significant amount of customers were wearing masks and some gloves. Service was good and the store seemed to be functioning normally. There are a lot of good deals to be had. 200 was knocked off dishwasher. At checkout there was a piece of plexiglass between clerk and customer, my wife wiped down the pen we used to write a check with and she thanked us. In a piece of dark humor she appeared to be the oldest person in store. On exiting the store I wondered how all these people got masks if they were in such short supply?

On to Publix. We went to a very busy Publix and very well run. Except for paper products all the shelves were full. No employees were wearing gloves or masks and no protective windows at checkout. Once again a lot of wiping down and maybe half of them wearing masks. It did seem like the older people were taking more precautions than younger ones, but business was brisk. Back out on the road and we stopped in at a northern tool store in a large strip mall that had about 80% closed businesses, including Ross, a big gym, and a half dozen restaurants. The tool store had a novel way of protecting their employees. They got two huge cardboard boxes at the counter that forced the customer to keep their distance from the clerk. Worked pretty well. Girl never touched the credit card. Man outside the door bummed 5 dollars from me.

on way home we stopped at what must be the worst run Walmart in the state. Not enough cashiers as usual, no precautions installed, and hopeless inventory. Granted this is in a county that has only single digit infection but this Walmart has always been just nasty.

all in all we were conscious of spacing and the wife had Clorox wipes ready at every turn. People were going about their business as usual with a heightened awareness, keeping their spacing at checkout counters. We are supplied for another week and so can practice staying at home like everyone else. It sure was nice to get out for awhile.

Today we left the boonies to go to Tallahassee to buy a dishwasher and groceries. It was after lunch and the 60 mile journey saw what I would call moderate traffic, certainly not light. on the way to town we heard gov. Desantis was going to have us stay home starting Thursday night so good move on our part.we arrived to a parking lot at Lowe’s that was 2/3 full. We had heard rumors that they were only allowing one person of a group in the store at a time but that proved to be false. The store was fairly crowded and the only different takeaway was that people were wiping down pretty consistently and a significant amount of customers were wearing masks and some gloves. Service was good and the store seemed to be functioning normally. There are a lot of good deals to be had. 200 was knocked off dishwasher. At checkout there was a piece of plexiglass between clerk and customer, my wife wiped down the pen we used to write a check with and she thanked us. In a piece of dark humor she appeared to be the oldest person in store. On exiting the store I wondered how all these people got masks if they were in such short supply?

On to Publix. We went to a very busy Publix and very well run. Except for paper products all the shelves were full. No employees were wearing gloves or masks and no protective windows at checkout. Once again a lot of wiping down and maybe half of them wearing masks. It did seem like the older people were taking more precautions than younger ones, but business was brisk. Back out on the road and we stopped in at a northern tool store in a large strip mall that had about 80% closed businesses, including Ross, a big gym, and a half dozen restaurants. The tool store had a novel way of protecting their employees. They got two huge cardboard boxes at the counter that forced the customer to keep their distance from the clerk. Worked pretty well. Girl never touched the credit card. Man outside the door bummed 5 dollars from me.

on way home we stopped at what must be the worst run Walmart in the state. Not enough cashiers as usual, no precautions installed, and hopeless inventory. Granted this is in a county that has only single digit infection but this Walmart has always been just nasty.

all in all we were conscious of spacing and the wife had Clorox wipes ready at every turn. People were going about their business as usual with a heightened awareness, keeping their spacing at checkout counters. We are supplied for another week and so can practice staying at home like everyone else. It sure was nice to get out for awhile.
Check out all the stay at home orders by your gov. They all got on the phone a couple days ago and it caused our gov to clamp down even further; I just hate it when she talks to other governors and gets big ideas. Depending on the size of the store, the number of customers allowed in at one time is down to 5 for convenience stores/gas stations; 200 for big stores like Lowe's, in between for drug stores, etc. We are still having scattered snow showers and it's gonna be fun waiting outside in line. So, good work getting your dishwasher when you did! The six feet between people waiting at the check outs is also going to be enforced. Fines will be imposed if stores are caught out of compliance, or could even get their license yanked.

I want to get through this as much as anyone but I have a growing concern that some of the remedies are setting precedents that are going to restrict our freedoms and liberties in the future. It is becoming a slippery slope.
How would that happen? Do you really think the government wants millions of people out of work? The Emergency Orders all expire -- ours is in 90 days. Yes, it can be extended, but only by our duly elected legislators.
So how would that happen?

My wife was lucky enough to find and buy a 3-pack of Great Value tissues 4 days ago. They must have been produced after the rush and some corners cut, because I have been using one box, and every tissue rips in half when you pull it out. It's not a big deal, but it is nicer to have a whole tissue.

I'm sure I have never seen that happen in all of my 59 years, and it's not a coincidence.

I want to get through this as much as anyone but I have a growing concern that some of the remedies are setting precedents that are going to restrict our freedoms and liberties in the future. It is becoming a slippery slope.
How would that happen? Do you really think the government wants millions of people out of work? The Emergency Orders all expire -- ours is in 90 days. Yes, it can be extended, but only by our duly elected legislators.
You are missing the point. If we are using the defense act to force companies to make certain products because of a crisis what is to stop a Bernie Sanders from using the same act to stop all the auto companies from making ice cars in order to make giant skate boards because global warming is an existential crisis in his opinion? Let’s ay there is a school shooting and the culprit cannot be found so the govt. says there is going to be an in-house lockdown and the national guard is going to go from house to house and confiscate all guns in a search for the criminal.

you may say that the examples are crazy and they might be but it is sort of like sex. Once you do it the first time it becomes easier and easier after that. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Who knew that shopping could be so adventuresome?

You are missing the point. If we are using the defense act to force companies to make certain products because of a crisis what is to stop a Bernie Sanders from using the same act to stop all the auto companies from making ice cars in order to make giant skate boards because global warming is an existential crisis in his opinion? Let’s ay there is a school shooting and the culprit cannot be found so the govt. says there is going to be an in-house lockdown and the national guard is going to go from house to house and confiscate all guns in a search for the criminal.

you may say that the examples are crazy and they might be but it is sort of like sex. Once you do it the first time it becomes easier and easier after that. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
The Defense Production Act has been used a lot since 1950. During World War II FDR used the War Production Board.

The WPB directed conversion of industries from peacetime work to war needs, allocated scarce materials, established priorities in the distribution of materials and services, and prohibited nonessential production.[3] It rationed such commodities as gasoline, heating oil, metals, rubber, paper[4] and plastics. It was dissolved shortly after the defeat of Japan in 1945, and was replaced by the Civilian Production Administration in late 1945.

I believe President Trump began the precedent of declaring a bogus "National Emergency" by using it on the Mexico border so he could take military funds to build his Wall. Maybe the next President will be a little less fuzzy on what an emergency is. We can only hope.

I agree with you, Shrimpbox, that what is going on right now feels horrible and strange. But in World War II even food and gasoline was rationed! This feels like USSR in 1980, and some of the grocery store shelves look it, too. But it will be over one day, and hopefully everyone you care about makes it through in one piece.

We haven't become a totalitarian state after 70 years of the Defense Production Act. We didn't become a totalitarian state after the War Production Board. I think we'll be okay.

Who knew that shopping could be so adventuresome?
I just wanted to do something besides get into senseless political pissing contests. It is just getting so tedious. As well a local report on the status around me is at least first hand news. Maybe others can give us a snapshot of their areas. I am also feeling guilty about not coming up with a good deed to help somebody, there have been so many heartwarming stories on tv, it is so awesome to see people coming together and helping each other. Those kids in front of their homes doing the pledge of allegiance brought tears to my eyes, or everyone thanking the first responders from the rooftops in New York at a certain time. It makes these haters on here seem like the smallest of people.

Forum List

Back