81% of Americans under 45 would fail basic ‘US citizenship test’

The Constitution worked just fine -------- WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN

And it still does to this day.

No not really - ....

Yes, really, it works just fine.

No document in the world can stand the test of 250 years time.
Go ahead - make a rule of some sort just for fun and put it in a time capsule.
Instruct your heirs to open for a good laugh around 2270

Worlds best selling document has for over 3,000 years.

View attachment 221257

Are you too a 24%-er? Figures :rolleyes:
Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God

Every one of you education bashers have the same M.O.! It's obviously the fault of the teacher's unions, right?

My discontent with education is government involvement in it.

Do you teach the unconstitutionality of government involvement where it lacks authority to be involved in History and Civics class? Serious question.
Education is a function of government

A free public school education is a great equalizer in our society

Indeed that was the idea, but as it stands now it is merely leaving everyone equally ignorant.

Of course they do
Free Public School Education has been available since before our nation was formed. It was when public schools became available to everyone, we became a great nation

The Federal Government provides only ten percent of the funding for our schools, the rest comes from state and local governments

Other than to insist on certain standards, the Federal Government has little influence on your local school

My main gripe with it is the constitutionality of it. It's my moral and political nature.

So long as home schooling remains a practical alternative for families, I'm rather docile about it.

Home schoolers did get a tax break last week in that recent tax bill the GOP just put out. Of course, they're still paying school taxes, even though they aren't using public education. They got a little break anyway.

Of course they do
Free Public School Education has been available since before our nation was formed. It was when public schools became available to everyone, we became a great nation

The Federal Government provides only ten percent of the funding for our schools, the rest comes from state and local governments

Other than to insist on certain standards, the Federal Government has little influence on your local school

My main gripe with it is the constitutionality of it. It's my moral and political nature.

So long as home schooling remains a practical alternative for families, I'm rather docile about it.

Home schoolers did get a tax break last week in that recent tax bill the GOP just put out. Of course, they're still paying school taxes, even though they aren't using public education. They got a little break anyway.
Home schooling is not a practical alternative to most families

No not really - ....

View attachment 221257

That's interesting! Are you too ignorant to realize that this is 2018, so parts of the Bible were written less than that many years ago? Please tell me you did not homeschool your kids!

No not really - ....

View attachment 221257

God is this guy fucking stupid ., Lol...

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.
Ah, the old teachers don’t get paid enough bullshit.

That’s why 300 qualified applicants apply for one teachers job.

Oh, the old bullshit claim with our any proof! I left a school 3 years ago and they still have not found anyone that will stay in the job.
Two years ago my high school district had one opening for a teacher. After weeding thru the applications they had over 300 qualified teachers applying.

Another district has a teacher who calls in sick every Monday. Every Monday. They can’t fire her.

Teaching is just another non productive government job. Hell, kids can’t even read or write cursive or read a watch with hands. The other day I saw a document from the Revolutionary war were the locals signed an oath to the cause. And each signature was in perfect handwriting, over 300 backwoods Virginians in 1777.

I cannot believe you used that incredibly stupid anecdote. You should be ashamed. A high school where I substituted had two long term substitutes because they could not find a qualified math teacher for over a year! No one wants to work in a high stress environment for chicken feed.

Why would you fire someone for calling in sick? The district probably does not compensate teachers for unused sick days at retirement and they are just burning them up. I once used a lot of sick time just like that because I had a medical appointment once per week for several weeks in a row. The norm is about 10 sick days allowed per year. Can you say with any certainty that you have all the facts or are you just parroting the education basher talking points?

Cursive is useless. Other than writing my signature, I have not written anything cursive in about 40 years. Cursive is hard to write, and hard to read, especially when you can't penalize students for poor penmanship.

Reading an analog clock is still taught, but not retained. Why? Most have a digital watch or cell phone. Why is this so hard for an adult like yourself to understand? If you don't use it, you lose it! I happen to know that it is taught because I have three grandkids ages 8 to 12. Just FYI, there is not a single analog clock in my home other than some old wristwatches I have stuck in a drawer.

As to your Revolutionary War document, no 300 "backwoodsmen" would have the ability to even read and write in the 1700s, so stop displaying your ignorance. There were very few schools back then and the literacy rate for southern states in the Revolutionary period might have topped 60%. One of the struggles this country overcame during WWI and WWII was a vastly uneducated populace.
That’s the story the brass told you that couldn’t find a replacement.

Most likely they were saving money by not hiring a replacement and spending it on fluff

Since, I was one of those subs, I can assure you this was not true. The district could not hire me because of a Catch 22 where my contract at a small district was not renewed because they found a cheaper replacement. I would have been hired in a heartbeat at the beginning of this year by several schools, but I chose to retire and go to work for a defense contractor.

No not really - ....

View attachment 221257

That's interesting! Are you too ignorant to realize that this is 2018, so parts of the Bible were written less than that many years ago? Please tell me you did not homeschool your kids!

Which Bible we talking about?

Every one of you education bashers have the same M.O.! It's obviously the fault of the teacher's unions, right?

Do you teach the unconstitutionality of government involvement where it lacks authority to be involved in History and Civics class? Serious question.

Indeed that was the idea, but as it stands now it is merely leaving everyone equally ignorant.

Why is it that many of my students receive an education that was far superior to any that anyone in my generation received? My kids are all very successful. If the system is as bad as you claim, how is that possible?

It is because you are simply full of shit!

Why is it that many of my students receive an education that was far superior to any that anyone in my generation received?

What generation are you?

Why is it that many of my students receive an education that was far superior to any that anyone in my generation received?

What generation are you?

Older than dirt it feels like.

Guess what, dumbass! You don't have time for that! You practically cannot require homework anymore because conservatives and liberal parents rebelled and the school boards have made it a living hell for teachers to meet the goals without the resources to make it happen. That is why teachers burn out early and leave the profession.

You make my point for me. It's time for changes to the system right across the board.

You have to change society first! You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/why-americas-teacher-shortage-is-going-to-get-worse/

America's new education crisis: A teacher shortage

Many US States Struggle with Teacher Shortages

Such a drama queen

Drama queen my butt, you prove it that the left only cares about themselves and not some Bible thumper in Oklahoma..

You sound like Bill Maher last night bitching why Wyoming is even a state and gets two senators .

I don't care for any bible thumpers and why oh why does Wyoming get 2 Senators? They should get one, and CA take the second. They are overly represented.

Because big states were not supposed to be able to push little states around. It was part of the deal from the beginning.

You would think that anyone with even a rudimentary education would know that.

MOre important than exact dates of events, important principles and ideas like that, are, imo, what a student should retain long term.

All of it is important.

You make my point for me. It's time for changes to the system right across the board.

You have to change society first! You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/why-americas-teacher-shortage-is-going-to-get-worse/

America's new education crisis: A teacher shortage

Many US States Struggle with Teacher Shortages

Considering the responsibilities, teachers should be paid as professionals, not fry flippers. They should at least have Masters degrees in their chosen subjects.

Their work should also be judged at a professional level, by the product they produce. If they don't produce, out on their ass they go immediately following review.

Describe what good this boring information is to a young person studying for a profession. And we wonder why nobody knows it. No busy working americans really care. They are out making a dollar and don't have time to care.

Forum List

Back