81% of Americans under 45 would fail basic ‘US citizenship test’

You have to change society first! You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.
Ah, the old teachers don’t get paid enough bullshit.

That’s why 300 qualified applicants apply for one teachers job.

Oh, the old bullshit claim with our any proof! I left a school 3 years ago and they still have not found anyone that will stay in the job.
Two years ago my high school district had one opening for a teacher. After weeding thru the applications they had over 300 qualified teachers applying.

Another district has a teacher who calls in sick every Monday. Every Monday. They can’t fire her.

Teaching is just another non productive government job. Hell, kids can’t even read or write cursive or read a watch with hands. The other day I saw a document from the Revolutionary war were the locals signed an oath to the cause. And each signature was in perfect handwriting, over 300 backwoods Virginians in 1777.

I cannot believe you used that incredibly stupid anecdote. You should be ashamed. A high school where I substituted had two long term substitutes because they could not find a qualified math teacher for over a year! No one wants to work in a high stress environment for chicken feed.

Why would you fire someone for calling in sick? The district probably does not compensate teachers for unused sick days at retirement and they are just burning them up. I once used a lot of sick time just like that because I had a medical appointment once per week for several weeks in a row. The norm is about 10 sick days allowed per year. Can you say with any certainty that you have all the facts or are you just parroting the education basher talking points?

Cursive is useless. Other than writing my signature, I have not written anything cursive in about 40 years. Cursive is hard to write, and hard to read, especially when you can't penalize students for poor penmanship.

Reading an analog clock is still taught, but not retained. Why? Most have a digital watch or cell phone. Why is this so hard for an adult like yourself to understand? If you don't use it, you lose it! I happen to know that it is taught because I have three grandkids ages 8 to 12. Just FYI, there is not a single analog clock in my home other than some old wristwatches I have stuck in a drawer.

As to your Revolutionary War document, no 300 "backwoodsmen" would have the ability to even read and write in the 1700s, so stop displaying your ignorance. There were very few schools back then and the literacy rate for southern states in the Revolutionary period might have topped 60%. One of the struggles this country overcame during WWI and WWII was a vastly uneducated populace.

Good for him! It is amazing what kids can do to overcome a stupid parent!
Home schooled kids run circles around publk edjewkated kidz

You would think they would, but why do so many parents use home schooling as a way to skirt mandatory attendance laws so they can raise morons? Home school supporters always seem to forget those students.
I personally know over two dozen home schooled kids. All of them run circles intellectually, morally and socially than the other kids.

How many millions do you not know?

As a teacher in Florida, I had numerous students who were taken out of public schools in their freshman or sophomore year, many with learning disabilities who simply struggled in school. How many of those students do you think actually completed their high school diploma?

How many kids are being homeschooled by parents who either dropped out of high school or attained a GED?

The lack of data on this topic lies right at the feet of homeschools because they have fought any and all accountability for their actions.

If you can homeschool and be successful, more power to you! I just hate seeing all of the homeschoolers with their arms in slings because they hurt themselves patting themselves on the back!

My own daughter-in-law homeschooled my granddaughter for a short time with my full support. She has a BA degree, and was one of the best students I ever had! It worked for its purpose and then my granddaughter returned to public school when her classmates grew up and started treating her disability as something not to laugh at.
Ah, the old blame it on stupid kids rant.

Funny how recently a school district learned that giving kids extra recess time (wearing them out) resulted in significant test score improvements.

Public education is a disgrace. Time to bust all teacher unions.

Mostly stupid parents who do not give a crap about education

And it still does to this day.

No not really - ....

Yes, really, it works just fine.

No document in the world can stand the test of 250 years time.
Go ahead - make a rule of some sort just for fun and put it in a time capsule.
Instruct your heirs to open for a good laugh around 2270

YOu libs claim to care about civil rights, but constantly attack the very document that protect them.
You are so dishonest, words cannot describe it.

Civil rights? Those have been trashed by SCOTUS and they'll now be eroded even further.
And you are so dumb, you'll think it's great ... UNTIL they come for YOU.

Are you aware the bill of rights is part of the Constitution? That you were just attacking?

Good for him! It is amazing what kids can do to overcome a stupid parent!
Home schooled kids run circles around publk edjewkated kidz

You would think they would, but why do so many parents use home schooling as a way to skirt mandatory attendance laws so they can raise morons? Home school supporters always seem to forget those students.
I personally know over two dozen home schooled kids. All of them run circles intellectually, morally and socially than the other kids.

How many millions do you not know?

As a teacher in Florida, I had numerous students who were taken out of public schools in their freshman or sophomore year, many with learning disabilities who simply struggled in school. How many of those students do you think actually completed their high school diploma?

How many kids are being homeschooled by parents who either dropped out of high school or attained a GED?

The lack of data on this topic lies right at the feet of homeschools because they have fought any and all accountability for their actions.

If you can homeschool and be successful, more power to you! I just hate seeing all of the homeschoolers with their arms in slings because they hurt themselves patting themselves on the back!

My own daughter-in-law homeschooled my granddaughter for a short time with my full support. She has a BA degree, and was one of the best students I ever had! It worked for its purpose and then my granddaughter returned to public school when her classmates grew up and started treating her disability as something not to laugh at.
Ah, the old blame it on stupid kids rant.

Funny how recently a school district learned that giving kids extra recess time (wearing them out) resulted in significant test score improvements.

Public education is a disgrace. Time to bust all teacher unions.

How did I blame it on the kids? I was talking about parents! Maybe you need remedial reading.

Will you please explain WTF teacher's unions have got to do with this topic? Are you just so dead set on showing how ignorant you are? Unions do not get involved in the teaching side of education despite all of the education basher fantasies. No one in my participation in any message board has been able to answer that question honestly. On second thought, don't try! You will fail miserably because it simply is not true.

Every one of you education bashers have the same M.O.! It's obviously the fault of the teacher's unions, right?

My discontent with education is government involvement in it.

Do you teach the unconstitutionality of government involvement where it lacks authority to be involved in History and Civics class? Serious question.
Education is a function of government

A free public school education is a great equalizer in our society

What is that suppose to mean, come on tell us how the United States would of got the slave states to join with out the Electoral college???

The Constitution worked just fine -------- WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN

No not really - ....

The Bible

Every one of you education bashers have the same M.O.! It's obviously the fault of the teacher's unions, right?

Do you teach the unconstitutionality of government involvement where it lacks authority to be involved in History and Civics class? Serious question.

A free public school education is a great equalizer in our society

It’s supposed to be, but there are limits to that.

No not really - ....

The Bible

Yes - The Old Testament is definitely fodder for a good laugh.

Yes

No not really - ....

The Bible

Billions disagree with you.

Education is a function of humanity, and the purview of family first and foremost.

Government lacks constitutional authority to be involved in education.

And the Department of Education, like everything else the government inserts itself in, is a complete failure. Abolish it.

No not really - ....

The Bible

Billions? :lol:
Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God

The Bible

Billions? :lol:
Record Few Americans Believe Bible Is Literal Word of God

Yes, billions.

Education is a function of humanity, and the purview of family first and foremost.

That's well said. Agreed.

Personally, I'd rather encourage homeschooling and private schooling. Let the parents write it off. As well, teachers could be given a tax write off as a means of raising their salaries. There's some good, creative teachers at the local level.

Parents have to get cotrol of education again, that's true. It's important. It used to be that parents had control of it via local school boards. Now it's the Executive branch and the judicial system who has control of it. It's become a bureaucracy that wants to control everything and it should be predictable that the quality of education goes down as a consequence of that bureaucracy control. All of the money goes to the bureaucrats instead of the actual education system.

Shameless plug: RonPaulCurriculum.com

If we're gonna homeschool em, may as well do so from a liberty perspective. Teach em how to build and run a business. The program has been very successful.

Government lacks constitutional authority to be involved in education.

And the Department of Education, like everything else the government inserts itself in, is a complete failure. Abolish it.

Of course they do
Free Public School Education has been available since before our nation was formed. It was when public schools became available to everyone, we became a great nation

The Federal Government provides only ten percent of the funding for our schools, the rest comes from state and local governments

Other than to insist on certain standards, the Federal Government has little influence on your local school

What is that suppose to mean, come on tell us how the United States would of got the slave states to join with out the Electoral college???

No not really - ....

Worlds best selling document has for over 3,000 years.

39B759F6-B827-4D34-A006-5489486109E6.jpeg

No not really - ....

YOu libs claim to care about civil rights, but constantly attack the very document that protect them.
You are so dishonest, words cannot describe it.

Civil rights? Those have been trashed by SCOTUS and they'll now be eroded even further.
And you are so dumb, you'll think it's great ... UNTIL they come for YOU.
Tell the class what Civil Rights you think you’ve lost, Snowflake.

Yes. For starters, stop mixing all levels of abilities. Academics have their own classes. Those not academically inclined go to vocational classes. Those who have special needs go to special needs classes. Those who are unmotivated and cause a disturbance go to the disturbed school. ESL students go to ESL classes until their English becomes proficient enough to attend the above mentioned regular classes.

Just for starters. This is how it was done when I was in school. At that time, America was ranked #1 in the world.

Mixing levels of abilities? Then why are you demanding such high performance out of kids? That ranking is not going to improve is some kids only take Math of Dummies instead of the Algebra II currently required in most states. Also, last time I checked, vocational classes involved some fairly complicated math such as geometry and algebra.

Who are you going to get to teach these juvenile delinquents in training? Teachers don't get paid enough already and now you want them to put up with classes comprised of derelicts?

If you want ESL students taken care of, tell that to Congress who thinks they should be fluent in English in only two years when all research says it takes a good 7 years. If we do as you propose, the students will not learn any other subjects until they master English? Great plan!

Why don't you run for your local school board with that plan and see how far you get? You might get one vote if you vote for yourself. I doubt your family and friends are that dumb.
Ah, the old teachers don’t get paid enough bullshit.

That’s why 300 qualified applicants apply for one teachers job.

Oh, the old bullshit claim with our any proof! I left a school 3 years ago and they still have not found anyone that will stay in the job.
Two years ago my high school district had one opening for a teacher. After weeding thru the applications they had over 300 qualified teachers applying.

Another district has a teacher who calls in sick every Monday. Every Monday. They can’t fire her.

Teaching is just another non productive government job. Hell, kids can’t even read or write cursive or read a watch with hands. The other day I saw a document from the Revolutionary war were the locals signed an oath to the cause. And each signature was in perfect handwriting, over 300 backwoods Virginians in 1777.

I cannot believe you used that incredibly stupid anecdote. You should be ashamed. A high school where I substituted had two long term substitutes because they could not find a qualified math teacher for over a year! No one wants to work in a high stress environment for chicken feed.

Why would you fire someone for calling in sick? The district probably does not compensate teachers for unused sick days at retirement and they are just burning them up. I once used a lot of sick time just like that because I had a medical appointment once per week for several weeks in a row. The norm is about 10 sick days allowed per year. Can you say with any certainty that you have all the facts or are you just parroting the education basher talking points?

Cursive is useless. Other than writing my signature, I have not written anything cursive in about 40 years. Cursive is hard to write, and hard to read, especially when you can't penalize students for poor penmanship.

Reading an analog clock is still taught, but not retained. Why? Most have a digital watch or cell phone. Why is this so hard for an adult like yourself to understand? If you don't use it, you lose it! I happen to know that it is taught because I have three grandkids ages 8 to 12. Just FYI, there is not a single analog clock in my home other than some old wristwatches I have stuck in a drawer.

As to your Revolutionary War document, no 300 "backwoodsmen" would have the ability to even read and write in the 1700s, so stop displaying your ignorance. There were very few schools back then and the literacy rate for southern states in the Revolutionary period might have topped 60%. One of the struggles this country overcame during WWI and WWII was a vastly uneducated populace.
That’s the story the brass told you that couldn’t find a replacement.

Most likely they were saving money by not hiring a replacement and spending it on fluff

Forum List

Back