8 Million Online Students Registered

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Ever heard of Coursera? :eusa_whistle: Or Moocs? :eusa_whistle:

I hadn't until I ran across this piece on BBS online whete Trinidad and Tobago are setting up a system to help students get advanced training.

_75159800_467967153.jpg

What a nice campus. Anyhow, read the story @ BBC News - Trinidad pioneers online 'knowledge network'

I hadn't until I ran across this piece on BBS online whete Trinidad and Tobago are setting up a system to help students get advanced training.

_75159800_467967153.jpg

What a nice campus. Anyhow, read the story @ BBC News - Trinidad pioneers online 'knowledge network'

To longknife: Sounds like an update of the old correspondence school educations from a bygone era.
Yeah, it does. But, with the speed of the internet, it provides for faster teacher-student interaction and allows one to complete courses faster.

Yeah, it does. But, with the speed of the internet, it provides for faster teacher-student interaction and allows one to complete courses faster.

To longknife: And pay faster, too, irrespective of what the article you linked says. Somebody is paying Coursera or they wouldn’t be doing it. Nobody works for free.

Incidentally, correspondence schools used to advertise on matchbooks and the back covers of cheesy magazines. The Internet does not make the concept less sleazy.

_75159800_467967153.jpg

To longknife: Sounds like an update of the old correspondence school educations from a bygone era.

The difference is the power of the internet, asshole. A student can see, hear and enjoy the environment of a class room in their own room. People like you want to destroy everything...Go fuck a goat!

To longknife: And pay faster, too, irrespective of what the article you linked says. Somebody is paying Coursera or they wouldn’t be doing it. Nobody works for free.

Incidentally, correspondence schools used to advertise on matchbooks and the back covers of cheesy magazines. The Internet does not make the concept less sleazy.

OK. As a student, let me tell you what the internet does.

Now finishing my final course of Calculus. The project assignment was on Fourier Series. Not being a natural at mathematics, I went on line to see what I could find. For free, and I emphasize that, there were lectures from MIT, the Khan Academy, and far more sources than I could ever look at.

For any subject at any level, there is more online for free than you could possibly use. To me, at 70, this is the wonder of this age.

Can a Pashtun goat herder get an online degree from Harvard?

No, but he could learn enough to prepare him to take an entrance exam for Harvard. The word here is oppertunity. Oppertunity to learn at a speed that is commensurate with your educational background and intellectual ability. An oppertunity that can be taken advantage of anywhere that you can connect to the net. There has never been a time in the world before where there was more oppertunty for everyone to become educated.

_75159800_467967153.jpg

The difference is the power of the internet, asshole. A student can see, hear and enjoy the environment of a class room in their own room. People like you want to destroy everything...Go fuck a goat!

Hey people want voice command tvs so they don't have to lift their fat fingers. They want cars that drive themselves because steering is so exhausting. Of course going to school without having to get your fat ass out of a chair is appealing.

Obvious facts aside I have no problem with it. Online school have been around for years.

Can a Pashtun goat herder get an online degree from Harvard?

No, but he could learn enough to prepare him to take an entrance exam for Harvard. The word here is oppertunity. Oppertunity to learn at a speed that is commensurate with your educational background and intellectual ability. An oppertunity that can be taken advantage of anywhere that you can connect to the net. There has never been a time in the world before where there was more oppertunty for everyone to become educated.

You could even learn how to spell words in English!

OK. As a student, let me tell you what the internet does.

Now finishing my final course of Calculus. The project assignment was on Fourier Series. Not being a natural at mathematics, I went on line to see what I could find. For free, and I emphasize that, there were lectures from MIT, the Khan Academy, and far more sources than I could ever look at.

For any subject at any level, there is more online for free than you could possibly use. To me, at 70, this is the wonder of this age.

I just started Khan academy biology videos. I'm a year behind you at age 69. Fewer excuses to not learn now with internet. I remember in school frustrated with homework sometimes not being able to get to library to look something up in encyclopedia.

Forum List

Back