78th Anniversary of D-Day

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Gid bless and thank you to the brave soldiers who fought a terrible evil and many of whom paid the ultimate price.

1654521272506.png

These three uniforms are in my personal collection.

DSC_0757.jpg

This T5 Ike Jacket belonged to a member of ADSEC, a part of the U.S. Army that was involved in the planning, logistics and aftermath of D-Day. On the ETO ribbon bar, a small arrowhead shaped insignia is attached, indicating that whoever wore this jacket served in a unit that made a combat landing.

DSC_0763.jpg

This Ike jacket belonged to a man named Donald Vincent Poplar, who joined Company A, 347th Engineers General Service Regiment in 1943. He saw service in Normandy a few days after the landings, France and the Rhineland. In Normandy, (and after the breakout) it was his job to help the Company repair blown up rail lines, clear pillboxes and dragons teeth, and to clear the streets. He was a trombone player in the regimental band.

DSC_0801.jpg

The 9th AAF was tasked with softening up the Normandy coast line before the landings. B-26 bombers pounded Omaha, Utah, Sword, Juno, and Gold beaches, and the towns and gun positions beyond. Wave after wave pounded the coastline throughout the night, paving way for the landing forces.

Gid bless and thank you to the brave soldiers who fought a terrible evil and many of whom paid the ultimate price.

View attachment 654548

Yesterday, as I settled in to watch my NYRangers in Tampa Bay, the announcer introduced the national anthem with this glaring error:
He reminded of the significance of June 6th, saying : "....the 78th anniversary of the United State's entry into World War ll...."

WHAT?????

Yesterday, as I settled in to watch my NYRangers in Tampa Bay, the announcer introduced the national anthem with this glaring error:
He reminded of the significance of June 6th, saying : "....the 78th anniversary of the United State's entry into World War ll...."

WHAT?????

Probably attended a public school

I've always wondered why the Normandy landing is considered more significant and is remembered a lot more than some of the other battles that were actually bigger during WW2? America lost more people in Okinawa and Iwo Jima, and more people were involved in Leyte Gulf.

I wonder the Republicans had nominated MacArthur instead of Ike in 1952, things would have been different as MacArthur wasn't directly involved in the European campaign.

My father landed on D Day. Not on the initial assault but in the afternoon after the beach breakthrough.

He fought in the hedgerow battles and the Hurtgen Forest shitshow and the Battle of the Bulge.

Never talked to me much about it until I returned from Vietnam..

My father landed on D Day. Not on the initial assault but in the afternoon after the beach breakthrough.

He fought in the hedgerow battles and the Hurtgen Forest shitshow and the Battle of the Bulge.

Never talked to me much about it until I returned from Vietnam..

Thank you both you and your father for your service

Forum List

Back