75% Don't meet state reading standards

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere

75% of black California boys don’t meet state reading standards

"Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters."

"As early as fourth grade, for example, nearly 80 percent of black boys failed to meet state reading standards."

What Governor Moonbeam needs to do right away is to give all teachers in California a raise then lower the reading standards. Just to prove he supports teachers and he's not a racist. It's the progressive way.

Last edited:
Hmm. It's almost as if there is a natural trend of sub-average intelligence amongst certain populations that is resistant to trillions of dollars in government spending.

Nah, can't be. Right guys? Our feelings say so!

• Banned
I don't see it as a race issue. It's a culture issue. A culture of accepting failure in public schools with teachers totally unaccountable for their "work". And a culture that produces fatherless homes. Boys growing up without a strong male role model.

I don't see it as a race issue. It's a culture issue. A culture of accepting failure in public schools with teachers totally unaccountable for their "work". And a culture that produces fatherless homes. Boys growing up without a strong male role model.

Correct. I could never understand why most kids couldn't read by the time they went to 1st grade. From my experience, kids were taught to read by mothers, fathers or older siblings before 1st grade. They could tell time and do simple math problems. They learned cursive writing in the 3d grade and now they can't even read it. Schools need more money to teach kids.

• Banned
This part cracked me up:

“Part of this may be structural, in having texts that aren’t relevant to the experiences and legacy of African-American boys,” said Chris Chatmon, founding executive director of the African-American Male Achievement program at the Oakland Unified School District. “When a lot of the curriculum you have access to isn’t familiar, or doesn’t acknowledge your past or your present, you have a tendency not to be engaged with it or want to read it."

I don't remember my 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Breidenbacher, giving me an option of reading only what I found "relevant to the experiences and legacy" of my heritage. You read the books the school gave you and that was final. Refusing was not an option.

When did the educational system and teachers fold under the whims of children? If you give a child a choice, of course they're going to take the easy way out. They're children. They need firm guidance. That's a huge part of what school used to be about. Take that away and push fathers out of the home and of course you're going to see 75% fall below standards.

Last edited:

"Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters."

"As early as fourth grade, for example, nearly 80 percent of black boys failed to meet state reading standards."

What Governor Moonbeam needs to do right away is to give all teachers in California a raise then lower the reading standards. Just to prove he supports teachers and he's not a racist. It's the progressive way.

And thus Private Schools flourish.

You do not advance until you do it.

If it was gang graffiti they would ace it.

What do you expect with all the illegals attending the schools there. Most of the big starts send their kids to pvt school.

Hmm. It's almost as if there is a natural trend of sub-average intelligence amongst certain populations that is resistant to trillions of dollars in government spending. Nah, can't be. Right guys? Our feelings say so!
And you demonstrate it, StrongBad.

Stuck on Stupid

We've heard that denial of the Bell Curve for decades. Your excuses haven't shown any results. It's about time we changed that tune and never listen to what the know-it-all nobodies tell us again, no matter how much they try to direct the debate from their perch in the golden birdcage.

Why do three out of four black boys don't get enough reading standards?

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk
36_7_21.gif
18_8_41.gif

Teachers unaccountable?

When was the last time you saw a teacher unscrew the top of a kid's head and pour reading in?

That's how some people think it is as easy as doing.

I had 22% of my geometry students fail this past year. Of that number, a full 80% were hardly ever in class.

Forum List

Back