7.8 Earrthquake in Turkey (Tweeted videos linked below)

Epicentre compared to the landmass of Germany, extraordinary chain of events

FoTZPDiWAAAleFJ

FoTKahpWAAMGEF1

FoSGOauWAAALVVC

I couldn't feel worse for the Turkish and Syrian people. This is going to hit five digits, an absolute catastrophe.

It makes me very thankful for rigid construction standards, for high-tech earthquake-minimizing tech we have in places such as California, and that I don't live anywhere near a fault line.

Living on a fault line makes this possible, but living on an active fault line makes this probable. This is the 6th major earthquake in the past 22 years, which is a very high level of seismic activity in one region with this level of intensity. Alaska has periodic earthquakes, but not at this magnitude.

The footage is devastating. It seems their buildings were not at all built to withstand this. Horrible.
Fortunately for Turkey, they aren't burdened by regulations and all that crap when it comes to how their buildings are constructed.

But I am sure some will start crying about the need to have stronger regulations moving forward....commie libs are always demanding regulations...

i was awake at 3AM here in lebanon and watching the grammys when i felt the bed shaking, i woke up my mom and hugged her, i was very scared, i really thought the building would collapse. i usually don't get scared, but this is the 1st time i did. we dodged a bullet!

i was awake at 3AM here in lebanon and watching the grammys when i felt the bed shaking, i woke up my mom and hugged her, i was very scared, i really thought the building would collapse. i usually don't get scared, but this is the 1st time i did. we dodged a bullet!
Never been in one. Live near where a tornado that wiped out a nearby town, but people can survive them because there is shelter they can run to, in an earthquake, you just don't have that option. There are no options.

Last edited:
Never been in one. Live near where a tornado that wiped out a nearby town, but people can survive them because there is shelter they can run to, in an earthquake, you just don't have that option. There are no options.
there is one option: you can flee the house and go in your car to an area where there are no houses. we considered doing that

This region of the world will become the most uninhabitable place on earth. How can you rebuild anywhere in this region? What war has not destroyed in this quake zone, the earthquake has come and finished it. This area is now a wasteland of smashed buildings and dire poverty. How many refugees from Syria were already in Turkey? Millions, I believe. Now more will flee as what little was there is gone.

Forum List

Back