6 Police Officers Across the US Were Charged with Murder This Week, Proving Strength of Protests

[...]

I'm open to hear your view on why it would be less destructive to just legalize all of it, but I can't help but recall what a community looked like before and after it was flooded with drugs...and then removed.
"Removed?"

You can say you "removed" drugs from one place but, and I hope you realize this, what you did is move it from one place to another.

When you shut down dealer A, Dealer B is waiting in the wings to pick up his trade. Don't you know that? And if you do know that, what good are you doing by wasting the time, effort and money it takes to shut down Dealer A? Who benefits from it -- other than you?

Again: Recreational drugs are no less available today than they were when the drug war was initiated. That is the bottom line you need to focus on. What we are doing now, which is the law enforcement approach, obviously isn't working. So don't you think it's time to change direction?

What possible harm can it do?

You make a good point and I don't necessarily disagree. On a side note...I don't agree with the term "Gestapo tactics". For the flaws we may have in America....nothing and no one here is close to the Nazis.

Anyway...that said...yes I agree it's not working. I also think mental health is part of the problem. We treat mental illness with drugs and set them loose. Those folks stay addicted. They need mental health care.

I personally hate those 3 am no knock warrants. The Asian law enforcement take a drastically different approach. Undercover surveillance and they nab people when they walk outside. It's the American way of not being patient and thinking bigger and stronger means better. LE is not immune to that. There's a time for massive SWAT response. Drug warrants aren't that. I agree with you there.

If a medical approach would work...I'd 100% support it. I admit...having been a cop in a bad area...I'm pessimistic about it. BUT....if I knew it would work....it's absolutely the better approach.

I think the problem is, and I show some of it, is people are reluctant to change it. I think you'd find far more cops than you think who agree with you that the "drug war" isn't working. I just think it's pessimism from law enforcement combined with politicians who are reluctant to change. Not to mention....voters. Politicians think legalization of hard drugs (not weed) will lose votes.

I will say....civil discussions like ours is the first step. If the majority could discuss things Iike you and I do I think the pessimism and reluctance would fade away.

You make good points. I'll offer this one that's always stuck in my head from working drug areas. Legalization would dry up the black market a lot too. If companies offered it...like in Colorado weed shops....people will buy from safe zones. So the illegal dealers go out of business....thus eliminating tainted drugs and highly potent stuff that kills. THAT point is one I've always been interested in.

The heading, Black Lives Matter, shows this article is total bs.

Way to jump to conclusions there Geronimo
Indictments mean nothing.

Convictions.... that's another matter

Yep, indictments mean nothing now. Anything else you'd like to unilaterally declare means nothing? The world is on the edge of their seats
When we stop seeing these media generated riots and looting, and we stop seeing all of this "Institutional Racism" from the left.......then maybe I won't question it's legitimacy.

But I'm sort of skeptical.

I'm like a black person who knows that the man is out to get him......because "the man" is BLACK right now......and I don't trust his black ass one fucking bit, homes.

Bernie-Black-Lives-Matter.gif

Last edited:
Media generated riots? Rlmao

How about anger generated riots? Huh?

Anger about what? Huh? HUH?

Oh nothing, just killing and unarmed someone in cold blood...you know, petty stuff like life and shit.

Oh nothing, just killing and unarmed someone in cold blood...you know, petty stuff like life and shit.

Oh no....killing an unarmed person in cold blood...with no legitimate claim of self defense!!! That's horrible.

How many of those happened? 1000? 5000? Let's see.....North Charleston. Cincinnati. Ummmm......umm....Albequerqu and Georgia. Let's see.......there's um....yeah....like SO MANY of them tens of thousands!!!

Oh no....killing an unarmed person in cold blood...with no legitimate claim of self defense!!! That's horrible.

How many of those happened? 1000? 5000? Let's see.....North Charleston. Cincinnati. Ummmm......umm....Albequerqu and Georgia. Let's see.......there's um....yeah....like SO MANY of them tens of thousands!!!

How many?

To many enough for the people to be angry in droves. Sorry reality upsets you.

[...]

You make good points. I'll offer this one that's always stuck in my head from working drug areas. Legalization would dry up the black market a lot too. If companies offered it...like in Colorado weed shops....people will buy from safe zones. So the illegal dealers go out of business....thus eliminating tainted drugs and highly potent stuff that kills. THAT point is one I've always been interested in.
If hard drugs, such as heroin, were available at federally controlled and supervised clinics where distribution was combined with encouragement and invitation to participate in withdrawal programs the most prominent effect would be the extermination of the illegal drug trade. Second to that would be the availability of clean, safe, accurately measured doses along with sterile implements (syringes, etc.)

The price of these legally available drugs would be the actual production cost which is a tiny fraction of existing street drug prices. E.g., the cost of a single hit of heroin is ten dollars. The actual value of a clean, accurately measured legal dose would be around ten cents. The third and most obvious advantage of such legal availability would be the end of the most prevalent form of street crime, which is the petty thievery, house and car burglary, shoplifting and car theft by junkies who need to steal to get fixed.

Eliminating the criminal drug trade would quickly reduce the national prison census by at least half and free law-enforcement resources to deal with real crime.

Combined with a realistic and effective public education program, which would include the dynamic practice of bringing cooperative strung-out junkies, complete with their filthy clothes, swollen needle sores, rotten teeth, etc., into high-schools to deliver shocking examples of the danger of playing around with recreational drugs. Show the kids what drugs can do to them. Don't just tell them, because talk is cheap and the kids don't believe it, anyway.

The remaining question is what do we have to lose by trying? What we're doing now and what we've been doing is absolute folly. The law-enforcement approach is an utter failure. It is a fact that any type of recreational drug one wishes to buy is readily available within ten miles of any inhabited part of the U.S. And everything short of unrestrained Gestapo tactics have been tried by law-enforcement, including elaborate undercover operations, long-term infiltrations, federally subsidized incentives to local police agencies, massive prison construction and, most intimidatingly, a steadily increasing number of 3AM, no-knock, door-busting raids, few of which are worthwhile, some of which are mistakes, one of which recently resulted in an infant's face being severely damaged by a flash-bang grenade tossed in by some nitwit, eager-beaver cop. (No drugs were found.)

Last edited:
[...]

If hard drugs, such as heroin, were available at federally controlled and supervised clinics where distribution was combined with encouragement and invitation to participate in withdrawal programs the most prominent effect would be the extermination of the illegal drug trade. Second to that would be the availability of clean, safe, accurately measured doses along with sterile implements (syringes, etc.)

The price of these legally available drugs would be the actual production cost which is a tiny fraction of existing street drug prices. E.g., the cost of a single hit of heroin is ten dollars. The actual value of a clean, accurately measured legal dose would be around ten cents. The third and most obvious advantage of such legal availability would be the end of the most prevalent form of street crime, which is the petty thievery, house and car burglary, shoplifting and car theft by junkies who need to steal to get fixed.

Eliminating the criminal drug trade would quickly reduce the national prison census by at least half and free law-enforcement resources to deal with real crime.

Combined with a realistic and effective public education program, which would include the dynamic practice of bringing cooperative strung-out junkies, complete with their filthy clothes, swollen needle sores, rotten teeth, etc., into high-schools to deliver shocking examples of the danger of playing around with recreational drugs. Show the kids what drugs can do to them. Don't just tell them, because talk is cheap and the kids don't believe it, anyway.

The remaining question is what do we have to lose by trying? What we're doing now and what we've been doing is absolute folly. The law-enforcement approach is an utter failure. It is a fact that any type of recreational drug one wishes to buy is readily available within ten miles of any inhabited part of the U.S. And everything short of unrestrained Gestapo tactics have been tried by law-enforcement, including elaborate undercover operations, long-term infiltrations, federally subsidized incentives to local police agencies, massive prison construction and, most intimidatingly, a steadily increasing number of 3AM, no-knock, door-busting raids, few of which are worthwhile, some of which are mistakes, one of which recently resulted in an infants face being severely damaged by a flash-bang grenade tossed in by some nitwit, eager-beaver cop. (No drugs were found.)

I'd support trying it. Again...pessimistic, but I'd support trying it to see if it works because the current methods aren't accomplishing the intended results.

How many?

How many? Less than 20.

People are angry because of the reality of social media. Half our country was in a 3 day panic frenzy over a big cat in Africa. We've become an outrage addicted society.

You have never....and cant...provide numbers. Because the numbers don't support your claim that we have some police crisis. We dont. It's the opposite. Police do an incredible job day to day in this country. But....like the lion incident....only takes 1 video to make a million potential rioters get an instant outrage kick.

The silent majority of America....doesn't give a fuck because they see it for what it really is. It's why they care more about tonight's Bengals vs Bucs NFL preseason game than whatever police outrage is brewing on Twitter.

Police confidence is at an all time low not because people are being murdered all over the place but because the few murders are televised often.

All of the police I have ever dealt with have been polite, reasonable people. Certainly these murders are terrible, but I do not believe it speaks to a systemic problem.

That being said, in cases where police have acted unjustly and cruelly, law enforcement has been less than active in charging its own, I am glad that this is turning around, as much of the distrust in police was not based on the few murders police commit, but the lack of prosecution and accountability in these cases. This behavior by courts and DAs set a dangerous precedent that other officers with a poor disposition can get away with thug behavior.

I hope now that individuals in law enforcement are being held up to the same standards as citizens we can move forward in peace with our law enforcement officers, most of whom are helpful, courteous, self sacrificing, and not deserving of the public distrust that has been placed on them. I imagine the average law enforcement officer would be happy that corruption and murder are no longer being tolerated.

Police confidence is at an all time low not because people are being murdered all over the place but because the few murders are televised often.

All of the police I have ever dealt with have been polite, reasonable people. Certainly these murders are terrible, but I do not believe it speaks to a systemic problem.

That being said, in cases where police have acted unjustly and cruelly, law enforcement has been less than active in charging its own, I am glad that this is turning around, as much of the distrust in police was not based on the few murders police commit, but the lack of prosecution and accountability in these cases. This behavior by courts and DAs set a dangerous precedent that other officers with a poor disposition can get away with thug behavior.

I hope now that individuals in law enforcement are being held up to the same standards as citizens we can move forward in peace with our law enforcement officers, most of whom are helpful, courteous, self sacrificing, and not deserving of the public distrust that has been placed on them. I imagine the average law enforcement officer would be happy that corruption and murder are no longer being tolerated.
Are you white? I find as a Black person cops are generally assholes.

Are you white? I find as a Black person cops are generally assholes.
OK, to be fair, I am white, I cannot speak to the black experience with police, and I do believe that is an issue as well that needs to be fixed, but police being held accountable is a strong first step.

So much outrage for a criminal who attacked a cop.

Where is the outrage for the 9 year old killed by the gang bangers?

The community should be working with the police to stop gangs. That's how you'd save lives that matter.

How many?

How many? Less than 20.

TOO Many...thats how many.

People are angry because of the reality of social media.

Another word jumble response. Oh people are mad at the reality of social media....Meaning social media exists and they are mad? This is when you know someone has nothing they respond with phrases like "reality of social media".

Half our country was in a 3 day panic frenzy over a big cat in Africa. We've become an outrage addicted society.

So? People are outraged at police killing people. MAybe you think thats wrong but the best news is...you're not in charge of feelings.

You have never....and cant...provide numbers. Because the numbers don't support your claim that we have some police crisis. We dont. It's the opposite. Police do an incredible job day to day in this country. But....like the lion incident....only takes 1 video to make a million potential rioters get an instant outrage kick.

The silent majority of America....doesn't give a fuck because they see it for what it really is. It's why they care more about tonight's Bengals vs Bucs NFL preseason game than whatever police outrage is brewing on Twitter.

Of course I cant provide numbers that would make you concerned. You're the fox and me showing you fox attacks dont mean dick to you...but the chickens care a whole lot more because they have skin in the game. So of course YOU dont think its a problem...you're a cop who most likely will never be on the receiving end of one of these assholes. But the people who most likely WILL BE confronted dont trust them.

You can put that through your calculator all you want but feelings dont work that way. "Hey you cant tell me how many of your chicken bros have died from fox attacks, sure you've seen it happen! Sure you can die! Or even be taken to fox prison! But but just CALM DOWN its OK"

The community should be working with the police to stop gangs. That's how you'd save lives that matter.

How about the person who doesnt attack a cop?

Theres a ton of it and if you go to that neighborhood you'll see it, but local "do good" events dont make the news, never have.

There is always community outreaches going on. Just the other day I saw a story about how Nelly sends 2 kids to college every year and Lebron has given millions toward schools.

You dont know that tho...so to you it doesnt exist. If they arent walking through your part of town it didnt happen.

How about the person who doesnt attack a cop?

Theres a ton of it and if you go to that neighborhood you'll see it, but local "do good" events dont make the news, never have.

There is always community outreaches going on. Just the other day I saw a story about how Nelly sends 2 kids to college every year and Lebron has given millions toward schools.

You dont know that tho...so to you it doesnt exist. If they arent walking through your part of town it didnt happen.

A ton? The gangs are a way bigger problem and fighting the police is counter productive.

You think by saying gangs are a problem somehow that means there is less than a ton of outrage?

Forum List

Back