57 Buffalo cops resign from response team after officers suspended for shoving 75-year-old man to ground; DA investigating incident

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow, did ANYONE expect this?! I will say, whatever side you are on the issue of the push that hurt that older gentleman, this response is that of people truly putting their money where their mouth is.

57 Buffalo cops resign from response team after officers suspended for shoving 75-year-old man to ground; DA investigating incident

All 57 officers of the Buffalo Police Emergency Response team resigned Friday afternoon in support of two police officers who were suspended without pay after shoving a 75-year-old man to the ground during a protest.

A police union representative told WKBW that the officers were following orders given to them by Deputy Police Commissioner Joe Gramaglia to clear the area and do not believe they were in the wrong.

While the members of the emergency response team resigned from their specific roles, they did not resign from the police department altogether and are still employed.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said in a statement his office "is aware of developments related to the world assignments of certain members of the Buffalo police force."

He added: "At this time, we can confirm that contingency plans are in place to maintain police services and ensure public safety within our community."

A police union representative told WKBW that the officers were following orders given to them by Deputy Police Commissioner Joe Gramaglia to clear the area and do not believe they were in the wrong.

They were never given orders to smash the heads of the elderly
It is possible to clear an area without pushing old people to the ground.

Wow, did ANYONE expect this?! I will say, whatever side you are on the issue of the push that hurt that older gentleman, this response is that of people truly putting their money where their mouth is.

All 57 officers of the Buffalo Police Emergency Response team resigned Friday afternoon in support of two police officers who were suspended without pay after shoving a 75-year-old man to the ground during a protest.

While the members of the emergency response team resigned from their specific roles, they did not resign from the police department altogether and are still employed.

Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown said in a statement his office "is aware of developments related to the world assignments of certain members of the Buffalo police force."

He added: "At this time, we can confirm that contingency plans are in place to maintain police services and ensure public safety within our community."

~~~~~~
Will the Buffalo Police Department sudden suffer an epidemic of Blue Flu? Perhaps it maybe pandemic if the mayors of Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Buffalo, and NYC decide to defund their police Departments.....

They are wrong

The two cops were out of line
It was one cop and I'm sure he didn't think the guy would trip on that concrete ball...the other cop got on his phone and called an ambulance...and then the cops had to attend to the rioters rushing towards them....at least that's what I saw on the video...

This may be true, I just wonder how they view the consequences if they hadn't cleared the area. I'm certainly not condoning this man being pushed. It's certainly unfortunate, though the cop couldn't have known he would fall back like that. He should have seen he was much older and fragile. Just walk past the guy. It became FAR worse when they lied about him tripping on his own.

One of the reasons I would like to see more former soldiers in positions of policing is I think they understand how to risk assess and use an appropriate response to the situation. Others just go into auto-pilot and rely on "use your training" mantra. That's well in good for an easily defined situation, but no amount of training can teach ones own genetic critical thinking infrastructure. Not thinking, just reacting shouldn't apply to all situations.

They are wrong

It was one cop and I'm sure he didn't think the guy would trip on that concrete ball...the other cop got on his phone and called an ambulance...and then the cops had to attend to the rioters rushing towards them....at least that's what I saw on the video...

They walked right past him without bothering to see if he was hurt.
He was shoved and fell backwards

This may be true, I just wonder how they view the consequences if they hadn't cleared the area. I'm certainly not condoning this man being pushed. It's certainly unfortunate, though the cop couldn't have known he would fall back like that. He should have seen he was much older and fragile. Just walk past the guy. It became FAR worse when they lied about him tripping on his own.

One of the reasons I would like to see more former soldiers in positions of policing is I think they understand how to risk assess and use an appropriate response to the situation. Others just go into auto-pilot and rely on "use your training" mantra. That's well in good for an easily defined situation, but no amount of training can teach ones own genetic critical thinking infrastructure. Not thinking, just reacting shouldn't apply to all situations.
The guy seemed to be asking a question. A shove was unnecessary.

Perhaps they should be happy that the punishment was only a suspension. Would they rather it have been a complete and total termination?

God bless you and the man always!!!

Holly

The guy seemed to be asking a question. A shove was unnecessary.
what if the question was,,, do you cock suckers ever die???

They are wrong

They walked right past him without bothering to see if he was hurt.
He was shoved and fell backwards
There were protesters rushing into the area...they had to confront them.....

It's good to know some people do know right from wrong.

I applaud those officers for resigning from that unit.

That unit is clearly out of control.

He was not shoved to the ground. He was shoved and stumbled over his own two feet before falling backwards, striking his head on the sidewalk.

Every cop that failed to give IMMEDIATE First Aid should be fired for failing to do so. They could also be fired for LYING and saying the man tripped himself to cause his injuries.

He did trip on his own. Watch the video and see where he was pushed and how many steps he took backwards before falling. Old farts like that should not be protesting and refuse to follow the officer's instructions. Too bad and I am sorry he was hurt, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

That was a small push and the guy tripped .............the pavement caused the damage...........

Was not an intentional take down........incidental only.

We had a guy in the engine room who knocked knocked cold.......hit a steal deck with the back of his head falling down.......and didn't know his own name for hours..........was an asshole though............got what he deserved on that one..........not related to this old guy in the Op

Forum List

Back