51 years old. Just started running again!

I guess with diabetes, there is no universal answer. I think everyone processes sugar differently and what may work for one may not work for others
Day to day, I still can’t figure out what made my reading go up or down
Sugar is either a fuel or burden. It depends on how much you consume.

You also need to drink whiskey every day :)
Good advice.
I met an old guy at the beach once. He was skinny, wrinkled, and hollow-eyed, but he jumped around and swam like an athlete. I asked him what his secret was. He confided that he smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, stayed out all night partying, and drank a fifth of whiskey every day.

Amazed, I asked him how old he was.

I'm 22, he replied.

Last race I did I beat about 200 million others to the finish line.
1650677111631.jpeg

Ok the road back from Covid has definitely been a little difficult. I have managed a few 5 mile runs since my last post. But mainly 4 and 3 mile runs. I have managed to do a couple more 9.:30 single miles so thats nice. But those fast miles are a struggle for sure. Im not built for speed....im built for cruising!!!!! haha.
You’re doing it though, that’s great! Speed is for the youngsters ;)

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
I admire your determination, but might I offer some unsolicited advice?

I think running is bad for everybody. It's hard as hell on the joints, and isn't very good for weight loss. A better solution is to train with weights and do low intensity cardio, for no more than 30 minutes a day. Low-intensity cardo burns fat, rather than carbs, and does not burn muscle as things like HIIT and other carb-burning activities do.
Doing HIIT is faddish, and it does burn carb calories, but I find it takes away strength gains and makes me irritable.

Note. I'm 63, and I've been through about every type of training there is. I am paying the price for doing things stupidly in my younger years. Old men love to offer advice. Don't be your parents, as the saying goes.

I admire your determination, but might I offer some unsolicited advice?

I think running is bad for everybody. It's hard as hell on the joints, and isn't very good for weight loss. A better solution is to train with weights and do low intensity cardio, for no more than 30 minutes a day. Low-intensity cardo burns fat, rather than carbs, and does not burn muscle as things like HIIT and other carb-burning activities do.
Doing HIIT is faddish, and it does burn carb calories, but I find it takes away strength gains and makes me irritable.

Note. I'm 63, and I've been through about every type of training there is. I am paying the price for doing things stupidly in my younger years. Old men love to offer advice. Don't be your parents, as the saying goes.
since covid my running has slowed quite a bit. I simply haven't been able to get back to where I was before I got covid. Im still running, but only 2-3 miles a day 3 or 4 days a week.

You are certainly not the first person to offer this advice. I HATE weight training. I just can't get into it at all. I guess im going to have to learn to deal with it though. The last week or so I have been just doing some walking with my wife at a brisk pace.

Forum List

Back