51 years old. Just started running again!

Today I am very happy to show myself to you on this platform. I usually like to read, chat, and watch movies. I have a cheerful and lively personality. I also
like running.

Last Friday I had my diabetes check up. My A1C is down to 6.4. I actually expected it to be below 6.0 but I had to take two rounds of steroids from being sick over the last several weeks.

I also stopped taking my weekly injection a month ago. I made that decision on my own but kept a close eye on my sugar. My Dr. said I can stay off the injection and if I keep up what I am doing I will likely be off some of the pills im taking in the near future as well.

Its looking like I may actually reverse my diabetes which is HUGE.

Im down to 225 lbs shooting for 210.

Im consistently running 4 miles a day now. I have run as many as 5 miles without stopping but ive only done that one time. Wanting to get to a 10k consistently in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Its pretty much all MENTAL at this point. My cardio is outstanding at this point.

Still WANTING to do a marathon by December. I don't know if I can, but im going to give it all I got.

Marathons are always fun. It is exhilarating to feel all the energy from the other runners, audience, etc.
But you don't have to finish if you don't want to.
No one is keeping score unless you want to.

Today I am very happy to show myself to you on this platform. I usually like to read, chat, and watch movies. I have a cheerful and lively personality. I also
like running.

One good thing about these covid masks is that the tube style I like because it helps warm up the cold winter air when I am running.

11524f73-e987-4c0c-886c-111d072b291c.446179de79781cb248f455996493dd8c.jpeg

I mainly did weights and stretching this morning. But once all that was done I decided I just wanted to run a single mile and see how fast I could do it.

I ran a mile in 9:35. I haven't run a mile that fast in over 3 decades. I couldn't be happier with my progress at this point.

5 miles this morning in 59:35

close to a 10k at this point. feeling great.

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
If you see me running you better start running in the same direction.

This is amazing--good for you! It feels awesome to set goals like this and accomplish them esp at our age. I'm not a runner, but I walked 200 miles this summer. It becomes a good habit you just can't break!

4 miles this morning and I knocked a full minute off my time. 47 mins.

I have hit a wall and it sucks. Im stuck at 4 to 5 mile runs and am no longer losing weight. I have to either try and get faster, or farther. Its all mental at this point. My cardio feels outstanding.

ran my first 10K this morning. 6.2 miles in 74:30

progressing nicely!!

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
Take off the mask and double your distance :stir:

well a week and a half ago I got covid. Im pretty much over it with the exception of some congestion which makes it hard to breathe. I got back on the treadmill this morning and ran 2 miles. It was a struggle. I guess its gonna be a long road back to where I was but I won't give up.

continuing on!!!!!!!

You'll screw up your knees.

Just walk. Don't run. Running is too hard on everything, especially if you're a big guy. I know this first hand. The best way to reduce and get ripped is to 1) control your diet. 2) lift three or four days a week 3) do 30 minutes of low-intensity cardio to burn fat. You can do HIIT once a week if you like.

4 miles this morning....12 min pace.

just ran a single mile in 9:30

starting to get back to where I was!!!!! feeling much better. Had to get on a steroid pack to rid myself of this congestion......and the Dr. prescribed me a cough syrup with hydrocodone in it. MIRACLE DRUG without a doubt. It stops the cough almost instantly!!!! It does make me a little drowsy though.

Who wants to start running with me? Come on.....I know someone reading this needs to be healthier. LETS DO THIS.

The road back from Covid has been slow for sure. Mainly doing 2 and 3 mile runs with a few 4 mile runs thrown in.

Not sure how long it will take to get back to 5 and 6 milers. Definitely feeling better though.

I have lost a little more weight which is cool. But that is very slow as well. down to 223 lbs.

Ok the road back from Covid has definitely been a little difficult. I have managed a few 5 mile runs since my last post. But mainly 4 and 3 mile runs. I have managed to do a couple more 9.:30 single miles so thats nice. But those fast miles are a struggle for sure. Im not built for speed....im built for cruising!!!!! haha.

Forum List

Back