51 years old. Just started running again!

i added there: improved metabolism will mean that the liver and tissues are able to store maximum glycogen
Ok.

And improving metabolism (im assuming here. im far from an expert) simply means exercise correct?

Ok.

And improving metabolism (im assuming here. im far from an expert) simply means exercise correct?
no, it's harder. But at least if someone does anaerobic high-intensity exercise, and he succeeds, he can expect that at least glycogen is absorbed at least to some extent, because anaerobic exercise is provided only by creatine and glycogen.
(I'm not an expert either, this is my personal opinion)

For example, I run a sprint and don't breathe at all. So as long as I run, I run without oxidation. All energy goes without oxidation from the breakdown of glycogen into lactate. That means I have glycogen, is it logical?

In addition, this means that it is able to quickly released and quickly cover emerging needs.
If you run aerobically, you can break down protein and fat into energy, and not necessarily have enough glycogen.

10:50 mile this morning and I hit a wall. Not sure im capable of faster miles, especially once I start doing more than one consistently.

Time will tell.
It takes time. I started running when I hit 50. I stopped a couple years ago when my life turned upside down, and then started again a year ago. It took a while to build up to where I am, 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. It was much harder than when I was younger, but I set goals. My goal isn’t speed (I average 11 min), but just doing it. I think the key is to increase one or the other. If you want to add distance, reduce the speed until you are comfortable with the new distance, then work on pace.

It takes time. I started running when I hit 50. I stopped a couple years ago when my life turned upside down, and then started again a year ago. It took a while to build up to where I am, 3 miles, 4-5 times a week. It was much harder than when I was younger, but I set goals. My goal isn’t speed (I average 11 min), but just doing it. I think the key is to increase one or the other. If you want to add distance, reduce the speed until you are comfortable with the new distance, then work on pace.
Isn't it easier to get a job as a janitor and sweep as many courtyards as possible? The essence is the same, but they pay for it

good stuff. thanks for the advice.
im going to slow my pace this morning and shoot for 2 miles....on the treadmill. I alternate between treadmill and the street every couple of days.

So the first time I took running seriously was about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed as diabetic and was 295 lbs. I ran for quite a white (years....just can't remember how many really) and dropped to 220. Some issues like plantar facitis (sp?) and knee problems sidelined me. I went back up to 240 lbs and managed to maintain that weight. Im 6 feet tall btw. My medication managed to control my sugar this long, but 3 months ago my A1C was a little over 7 and the doc said we may have to adjust it. I do not yet take insulin and I don't want to start!!!!! So all that to say I started running again about a month ago. I was PATHETICALLY out of shape and its been a real struggle to build up any cardio at all. Im able to run (jog really. not breaking any speed records for sure) .75 of a mile without stopping, and continue walking until about a total of 2 miles distance. I miss being able to run a 5k and hopefully I can get back there. But damn its a struggle. At 51 things seem a hell of a lot more difficult than they did at 35. And runners here have some tips? Im eating "better" but admittedly not perfectly. Food is definitely my downfall. I love to eat. So I need tips as to how to increase my distance. Im not too worried about speed at this point. I think its safe to say I will NEVER get below an 11 minute mile. Im just not built for speed. But distance and endurance would be nice!!! Thanks.
Diet is always the best place to start.

Personally I am vegan and I chose that for a lot of reasons but I'm not going to tell you what to eat.

The one tip I will give you is don't skimp on your running shoes. A 30 dollar pair of cross trainers won't do you any favors. And you'll probably have to get a new pair more than once a year because all running shoes have an expiration as to when they provide the most protection for your feet and joints.

Run off road if you can because it's easier on your feet.

Last edited:
good stuff. thanks for the advice.
im going to slow my pace this morning and shoot for 2 miles....on the treadmill. I alternate between treadmill and the street every couple of days.
Alternating is good, I have also found alternating distances is good...I think I did something like .5, .5, 1, .5 week one, then .5, 1, 1, .5 week two, then 1, 1, 1.5, 1 and kept building up that way. When you are older you can't put your body through boot amp anymore :(

Alternating is good, I have also found alternating distances is good...I think I did something like .5, .5, 1, .5 week one, then .5, 1, 1, .5 week two, then 1, 1, 1.5, 1 and kept building up that way. When you are older you can't put your body through boot amp anymore :(
yeah Ive been pushing pretty hard. Starting to feel it. Thinking I better slow down a little.

The last two days I have run In the morning first thing, then gone to the gym with my trainer at 1:00 and done HIT and weights.

in bed by 6. LOL.

yeah Ive been pushing pretty hard. Starting to feel it. Thinking I better slow down a little.

The last two days I have run In the morning first thing, then gone to the gym with my trainer at 1:00 and done HIT and weights.

in bed by 6. LOL.
Yah....be kind to your body! I run outside with my dog, he is my accountability partner.

a little chilly this morning so I ran on the treadmill instead of the street.

2.0 miles nonstop. 11:45 pace

Then 45 mins with the trainer on weights.

then back on treadmill for 15 mins of sprints at 7.5 to 8.0 mph. on 30 secs. off 30 secs.

by far my hardest and most productive workout so far. things are progressing nicely. Im finally starting to notice the progress both cardio wise and in the mirror!!!!!

My Navy SEAL friend is away for another month getting treatment for PTSD. He's working out hard and we are texting each other our results. He's obviously way more fit than I am, but he keeps me motivated. Im trying my hardest to adopt that "never quit" attitude.

He's by far the most amazing, impressive individual I have ever met.

Okay, last few times out were on the treadmill.

So today is a first......2.0 nonstop at 11.31 pace on the street. More difficult than the treadmill for sure BUT I DAMN WELL DID IT. Very pleased with my progress.

MORE TO COME!!!!!

2.3 miles in 27 mins.

Its not much of a gain in distance,.....but its SOMETHING.

Ran my first 5K this morning. Damn that was such an accomplishment. 40 mins flat so I definitely wasn't breaking any speed records, but I ran the entire thing, nonstop.

:cool:

Eventually your body will reward you with endorphins, and you will enjoy running, more and more.
It makes your whole body work better, including digestion, circulation, weight loss, remove calcium deposits from joints and arteries, memory, etc.

5k in 37:13 this morning on the tread mill. So almost 3 mins faster!!!!!!!!!! 53 mins total on the tread mill doing sprints after the 5k.

feeling great. cardio is definitely improving. legs no longer feel like they weigh 100lbs each. I feel better than I have felt in nearly 20 years.

234 lbs now. So I haven't lost a lot, but im also weight training so im gaining muscle.

5k in 36 mins yesterday on the treadmill.

Once I get it down to 35 mins I will then slow back down and shoot for a 10k. Im far ahead of schedule. I wanted to run a 5k by January, so I've beat that mark by quite a bit.

A full marathon still seems like a world away. Its really daunting to even think about.

If you are reading this and you think you cant get healthy or its just too hard......trust me, YOU CAN DO IT. Im 51, was 245+ lbs, diabetic, and was in the worst shape of my life. Im actually starting to feel a bit.....gasp......ATHLETIC. Its not easy, but its absolutely worth the effort!!!

228 lbs this morning.

Last night I ran 4 miles for the first time, non stop. 48 mins. so 12 min miles. Im well ahead of schedule. Ive lost nearly 20 lbs since I started this journey.

Forum List

Back