2 mid-Michigan dams breached, thousands evacuated amid flooding

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

The 2nd failure appears to be a cascade failure from the first dam breaching.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Not one dime for infrastructure. Billions for a useless wall.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

I could has sworn the governor of Michigan was a Democrat.
So?

It would be Michigan's responsibility to fix these dams.
What does that have to do with the governor being a Democrat? What does the dam failing have to do with the governor being a Democrat?
Asked and answered. Try reading the thread please. My answer is the post you quoted.
So, nothing then.

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

Crumbling infrastructure and the failure of the Trump Administration to address the real problems in the nation while CB he pursues his political enemies.

Don’t make any mistake. Our crumbling infrastructure is something that should be laid at the feet of the duopoly and their blind supporters. Our nation is being failed by its elevated officials, but far too many don’t give a shit so long as their party is in power.

So?

What does that have to do with the governor being a Democrat? What does the dam failing have to do with the governor being a Democrat?
Asked and answered. Try reading the thread please. My answer is the post you quoted.
So, nothing then.
The responsibility for these dams is with the state, The governor is a libtard Democrat. Can you not put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4?

So?

So, nothing then.
The responsibility for these dams is with the state, The governor is a libtard Democrat. Can you not put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4?
Imbecile, this problem didn't just start. It was reported over 20 years ago the dam needed to be refurbished. There have been 4 governors over that period, 12 years under Republicans and 9 years under Democrats. Their state legislature has been in Republican control all but 2 of those years, including now. Laying all the blame on the governor now who was just sworn in last year, while ignoring the 2 decades preceeding her, is absurd.

But not entirely unexpected coming from you, I suppose.

So?

So, nothing then.
I came up with 22 ?

If the dams that failed were privately owned, by power companies, and the state told them to fix them and they didn't, shouldn't the state have had some way to step in and make sure it got done? This isn't a private company with a leaky roof. It affects public safety and people's property. The price tag on this will be enormous. Much more than a power company could make right.

It just seems strange that something as critical to the general public as a dam could be allowed to be insufficient like this.

Interesting information in this video. I wonder if Saginaw will be flooded as all this water makes it's way to Lake Huron?

These flood victims are so screwed!

If the dams that failed were privately owned, by power companies, and the state told them to fix them and they didn't, shouldn't the state have had some way to step in and make sure it got done? This isn't a private company with a leaky roof. It affects public safety and people's property. The price tag on this will be enormous. Much more than a power company could make right.

It just seems strange that something as critical to the general public as a dam could be allowed to be insufficient like this.
They're calling it a 500 year event. We had a lot of rain. Some things you cant prepare for. Shit happens. The people do need to be helped though.

Just another fine example of neglected priorities by elected officials

We don't have evidence of anything either way. Right now the job is to get people out of the way, whatever mobile property you can out of the way, sandbag or berm crucial infrastructure items, and then clean up afterwards.

Finding evidence of maintenance failure is usually pretty easy, if that is what has happened.

We don't have evidence of anything either way. Right now the job is to get people out of the way, whatever mobile property you can out of the way, sandbag or berm crucial infrastructure items, and then clean up afterwards.

Finding evidence of maintenance failure is usually pretty easy, if that is what has happened.

The quote below shows the issues with competing regulatory goals, and gives you an idea of the problems over-regulation can cause.

The company twice lowered Wixom Lake’s level without permission after the federal license was revoked, said Nick Assendelft, spokesman for the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy, which has overseen the Edenville barrier since its federal license was withdrawn.

The department was pursuing enforcement action for the violation and resulting damage to natural resources when the dam gave way, Assendelft said. A lawsuit filed April 30 says the lengthy drawdowns in 2018 and 2019 killed “thousands, if not millions” of freshwater mussels, many listed as endangered species.

So they were told the lake overflow was not adequate, but when they lowered the lake, which acts a buffer to overflow potential, they were sued because lowering the lake could hurt freshwater mussels.

Some more information for those interested:

So?

So again, it’s never really “America first”. It’s party over country every time.

When Houston was flooded out by Harvey, did the rest of America say “Texas is a rich state. And a red state. They shouldn’t have built the city below sea level. We’re not bailing them out.”

Republicans stand in line with their hands out when red states have catastrophes. Ted Cruz, who voted against federal aid to New Jersey after Sandy, was the first person in Texas to ask for federal money after Harvey.

In Canada, we have a Liberal federal government, and 7 of 10 provinces have Conservative governments. The federal government is transferring 3.2 billion to the Provinces. All of them. Not just the Liberal provinces.

If Americans are in trouble, all Americans should be pitching in. The virus isn’t Republican or Democrat. Your response shouldn’t be political either.

They're calling it a 500 year event. We had a lot of rain. Some things you cant prepare for. Shit happens. The people do need to be helped though.
I understand things happen. But they definitely were TOLD to prepare for it and they never did.

The quote below shows the issues with competing regulatory goals, and gives you an idea of the problems over-regulation can cause.

The company twice lowered Wixom Lake’s level without permission after the federal license was revoked, said Nick Assendelft, spokesman for the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy, which has overseen the Edenville barrier since its federal license was withdrawn.

The department was pursuing enforcement action for the violation and resulting damage to natural resources when the dam gave way, Assendelft said. A lawsuit filed April 30 says the lengthy drawdowns in 2018 and 2019 killed “thousands, if not millions” of freshwater mussels, many listed as endangered species.

So they were told the lake overflow was not adequate, but when they lowered the lake, which acts a buffer to overflow potential, they were sued because lowering the lake could hurt freshwater mussels.
I'm guessing they lowered the lake level because the dam wasn't up to par? Why didn't they just fix the dam?

Obama fixed that. Only cost us a trillion

What part of “they failed to maintain the pumps” are you not hearing?

The commission said it warned the dam’s previous owners of the need for improvements in early 1999, but no changes were made before the license was transferred to Boyce Hydro in 2004.

Boyce Hydro said it planned to build an auxiliary spillway on the Tittabawassee River that year and was studying the need for another on the Tobacco River, the commission said.

But the company failed to complete either project, repeatedly seeking extensions and missing deadlines, the agency said. Among its other violations: performing unauthorized dam repairs and earth-moving and failing to file an adequate public safety plan, maintain recreation facilities or monitor water quality.

Last edited:

I'm guessing they lowered the lake level because the dam wasn't up to par? Why didn't they just fix the dam?

You think that happens on a dime? The issue was spillway capacity. You have to expand the spillways, which means increasing their size, which means modifying the dam, which means approval from multiple agencies.

Obama fixed that. Only cost us a trillion

It was known since 1999 that this dam needed some repairs and upgrades, but the private company that owns it dragged its feet, filed numerous extensions, and never completed the projects. The taxpayers get get stuck with the bill yet again.

What part of “they failed to maintain the pumps” are you not hearing?

What pumps? The article mentioned lack of spillway capacity?

Forum List

Back