2 mid-Michigan dams breached, thousands evacuated amid flooding

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

The 2nd failure appears to be a cascade failure from the first dam breaching.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.

They got a ton of raid due to a stalled rotating system that just kept pumping water into many watersheds in the area.

I have a feeling people will be scrounging for maintenance records on these dams, especially their spillway maintenance and operation records.
Yep, people are probably scrambling. I hope all get out safely.

1589981879454.jpeg

the Edenville breach
@ttwenzel

Just another fine example of neglected priorities by elected officials

The governor is reporting on the emergency

All the money went to the illegals so they could stay in a 5 star rather than fix the dam...... good ur dumb fks deserve it all. Sry ppl with minds have to pay for it too though.

Just another fine example of neglected priorities by elected officials

We don't have evidence of anything either way. Right now the job is to get people out of the way, whatever mobile property you can out of the way, sandbag or berm crucial infrastructure items, and then clean up afterwards.

Finding evidence of maintenance failure is usually pretty easy, if that is what has happened.

Let’s hope all those poor people make it to safety in time and that the damage is light.

These seem to be rather low, broad dams, which usually lead to more of a building wave of water as opposed to a water slug say if something like the Hoover Dam breached.

Most people should have time to get the hell out of the way.

You can be user it was no gawd dam accident either.

The dam was close to a century old and had its power license revoked in 2018 on the fears it couldn’t withstand a significant flood. Far too much of our river infrastructure is in a sad state of affairs while our elected officials dawdle and feather their own nests.

Do you have a link to the power license revocation? Was there concern that vibration from the turbines was weakening the structure?

You can be user it was no gawd dam accident either.

The dam was close to a century old and had its power license revoked in 2018 on the fears it couldn’t withstand a significant flood. Far too much of our river infrastructure is in a sad state of affairs while our elected officials dawdle and feather their own nests.

Do you have a link to the power license revocation? Was there concern that vibration from the turbines was weakening the structure?

"We take this action because of Boyce Hydro Power, LLC’s longstanding failure to increase the project’s spillway capacity to safely pass flood flows, as well as its failure to comply with its license, the Commission’s regulations, and a June 15, 2017, Compliance Order."

Yep, people are probably scrambling. I hope all get out safely.
Make sure you wear your damn mask! Lord Gretchen commands it!

Forum List

Back