“2 Down, 8 To Go!”: How Donald Trump Is Purging GOP Of Those Who Voted To Impeach:

I'm not so sure about Trump and "wedge issues." Trump motivated his supporters by making it "us versus them" Thats not new, but like Faux pioneered, demagogues prey on prejudice and fear.

But Faux never aimed for a maj of viewers, and Trump couldn't have won without a combination of Jill Stein and Hill's corruption and moral loathsomeness in enabling Bill's worst predilictions. And Trump didn't even win a maj of gop primary votes in all of the primaries in total.
Unless there's a dramatic change, Biden's a one termer and the gop may have numbers making filibuster irrelevant, but "old, out of date, no answers, class warfare" aren't unique to Biden
It is true that Trump was divisive, and divided the nation into tribes. Wedge issues are divisive, such as abortion, guns, gays, race, taxation, global warming denialism, critical race theory and militarism; one can put all of these and more into the two main stream parties and been argued since 1980.

It is true that Trump was divisive, and divided the nation into tribes. Wedge issues are divisive, such as abortion, guns, gays, race, taxation, global warming denialism, critical race theory and militarism; one can put all of these and more into the two main stream parties and been argued since 1980.
But the Atlantics example was civil rights, and stated that wedge issues are issues in which one side seeks to convince the undecided. Also as you posted, abortion and guns. But I'm not sure wedge issues are "bad" or divisive as used by Trump. Most of us are reasonable, and support the right of private ownership of guns, but with reasonable regulation. Few support late term abortion unless the medical facts are extreme. Few support defunding the police.

the divisiveness is "Im sure some illegal immigrants are not rapists and murders." "I can't get a fair trial with a judge with a hispanic name." "Lock her up." "I'' pay your bills if you beat up a protester" (that one worked well, didn't it.)

And W said 'yer with us or against us" in drumming up support for his war, so it's not always Trump.

Thus, the patriots who tossed tea into the Boston Harbor needed to go?
Apples and oranges. Of course you libs would be against the tea party participants because they disguised themselves as Indians. You always side with the minorities.

Apples and oranges. Of course you libs would be against the tea party participants because they disguised themselves as Indians. You always side with the minorities.
"libs" and the "left" are individuals who are independent thinkers. In an aggregate their principles are built on empathy and support for equal rights, equal opportunities and equal justice for all.

The 2nd Sentence is the principle left to us in the Preamble to COTUS, and in the words of the Republican Party's 1956 Platform; The current iteration of the Republican Party are amassed of callous faux conservatives who put profit/greed over people.

Forum List

Back