2/3 of Republicans believe voting is a privilege - Not a right

IMHO Republicans look at voting as a "privilege" because so many people around the world are denied that right. We are very lucky to be Americans where voting is a "right" but also a "privilege" in that we are a free people who can vote or not vote. We view that as a privilege.

I'm not sure that the OP and democrat responders are looking at what "privilege" means in this context.
I think voting is a "privilege" compared to Cuba or Venezuela where they are denied the right to cast meaningful ballots.
Uh..that makes voting a "right" according to your definition. And BTW, the Constitution declares it a right.
And by the way again, throwing out elections and rigging votes are EXACTLY what Republicans are looking
to do with these restrictive voting measures.

So you would have no problem having the same requirements to vote as to purchase a firearm? Valid ID, background check, so on and so forth.

Republican Senate candidate JD Vance wants to take the vote away from American couples who don't have children.

Are you not concerned about this coming back to bite the Dems when the GOP have the advantage?
That's definitely gonna happen, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. The filibuster was never a part of the basic structure, it was added later. In it's original form, where someone had to occupy the floor and and all business stopped until the issue was resolved one way or the other it was actually a workable, beneficial addition. These days, when one person can stop any bill at any time for any reason with no effort and no consequences it accomplished nothing but gridlock.

It's time for it to go.

That's definitely gonna happen, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. The filibuster was never a part of the basic structure, it was added later. In it's original form, where someone had to occupy the floor and and all business stopped until the issue was resolved one way or the other it was actually a workable, beneficial addition. These days, when one person can stop any bill at any time for any reason with no effort and no consequences it accomplished nothing but gridlock.

It's time for it to go.
Gridlock is a good thing. The harder it is for congress to pass laws, the better it is for the freedom of the American people. The Federal Government is far too intrusive as it is. If I had my way, every law would have a two year sunset date and would have to individually debated and voted on again by a different congress. That would get rid of most of the stupid laws.

Most of the morons who whine about so-called voter suppression have no problem suppressing our right to bear arms. I have seen no measures on voting that are anywhere near as harsh as the measures used to suppress gun ownership.

Say what? Would you like to list the measures used to suppress gun ownership or just keep talking out your ass?
There are more guns in the U.S. now than ever before and we're paying for it in people's lives.

_117886354_gun_related_crimes2_640-nc.png

Say what? Would you like to list the measures used to suppress gun ownership or just keep talking out your ass?
There are more guns in the U.S. now than ever before and we're paying for it in people's lives.
Its not the number of guns, its the number of black males that explodes the number of homicides.

LOL!! Only progs can try to make something out of nothing.
I showed you the definitions, they are synonyms, there is no difference in meaning.
Here - I'll let rightwinger Leo mansplain it to ya. :)

Here - I'll let rightwinger Leo mansplain it to ya. :)

Exactly my point. Republicans responding to the poll think that there is no difference between a right and a privilege, since they are synonyms as per their definitions. So trying to make noise, or get some meaning over a meaningless poll is nonsense.

For the poll to make sense the choices should have had the "Constitutional" meanings attached. Since the Constitutional meanings weren't attached, they are synonyms.

If voting is a "privilege" you need to meet certain conditions, age, residency, registration, etc.
If voting is a "right" it can't be taken away if you meet those conditions.
Both answers are correct.

Last edited:
Voting is a privelge.

If you are in prison currently serving more than 10 years, if you're under the age of 65 and not on disability and unemployed, if your a convicted rapist, and if you're an illegal then you aren't a part of a functional society and should not be allowed to vote.

I'd also go as far as to say you shouldn't be allowed to vote until your 21 and if you're an immigrant you shouldn't be allowed to vote till you have been a legal citizen for 5 years.

Voting is a right for people who are old enough or been in the country long enough to understand our society. And voting is a right for people who contribute to society. Everyone else it's a privilege that should be earned.

Gridlock is a good thing. The harder it is for congress to pass laws, the better it is for the freedom of the American people. The Federal Government is far too intrusive as it is. If I had my way, every law would have a two year sunset date and would have to individually debated and voted on again by a different congress. That would get rid of most of the stupid laws.
Yeah sure.

You have some crazy pipe dreams.

Forum List

Back