1989 cabinet documents show alarming lack of rights for married women

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Whether flush with newlywed bliss, raising a young family, or in the twilight years of a long union, all married women in the Northern Territory decades ago had something in common.

When you tied the knot, you also technically signed away your rights to property and your independent legal capacity.

No, we're not talking the turn of the century, the Depression era or even post-World War II. In the Northern Territory, this was the reality only 30 years ago.

The archaic legislation governing these matters was only rewritten by the Northern Territory Government in 1989, after an inquiry into de facto relationships discovered several 'anomalies' in the way Territory law treated married women.
The surprising laws about married women that weren't overturned until the late 1980s

I'm loving the unsealing documents by other countries. It's like.....what the hell were you people thinking?

There are some posters on here that want to take us all back to that stance of a wife being the property of a husband.

Well, we won't be having any of that crap.

Whether flush with newlywed bliss, raising a young family, or in the twilight years of a long union, all married women in the Northern Territory decades ago had something in common.

When you tied the knot, you also technically signed away your rights to property and your independent legal capacity.

No, we're not talking the turn of the century, the Depression era or even post-World War II. In the Northern Territory, this was the reality only 30 years ago.

The archaic legislation governing these matters was only rewritten by the Northern Territory Government in 1989, after an inquiry into de facto relationships discovered several 'anomalies' in the way Territory law treated married women.
The surprising laws about married women that weren't overturned until the late 1980s

I'm loving the unsealing documents by other countries. It's like.....what the hell were you people thinking?
I lived there up until 1988; it was a fantastic place. I knew some of those Ladies because of the circle I moved in. I didn't know of that particular Law at the time though.

Greg

There are some posters on here that want to take us all back to that stance of a wife being the property of a husband.
Wimmin was a lot happier then.

Greg
Nah, I have watched firsthand what transpires when people believe that they own another human. Worse yet my mom experienced hearing the screams and cries of her mother being raped at night by her dad who claimed ownership rights of her.

Forum List

Back