1974 Remington 1100

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked-up a 1974 12ga Remington 1100 today for $400.00. A decent deal considering it had a Poly-Choke installed. A lot of people don't like the Polys but I do.....27.50" barrel length.

I don't think it had been cleaned since '74 either but I got it right up to snuff. LOL....It's not as dinged-up as my well used 1100 of the same year......While I was about it I replaced the gas system's O-ring too.

1100 001 (2).JPG

Good find.
Yeah, prices have shot way up on them.....It seems for the last 15 years or so they were always a $500.00 shotgun (used in good shape) then a few years back they started going up.

I've been seeing like examples selling for around $900.00 in local shops of late.....I guess walnut and blued steel is becoming more attractive to the matte black crowd. ;)

That and they just work as long as you keep a eye on the o-ring and to be honest if you keep the gas system clean you don't have any problems out of those. Even the one I replaced today was fine and it was dry and dirty as hell.

Yeah, prices have shot way up on them.....It seems for the last 15 years or so they were always a $500.00 shotgun (used in good shape) then a few years back they started going up.

I've been seeing like examples selling for around $900.00 in local shops of late.....I guess walnut and blued steel is becoming more attractive to the matte black crowd. ;)

That and they just work as long as you keep a eye on the o-ring and to be honest if you keep the gas system clean you don't have any problems out of those. Even the one I replaced today was fine and it was dry and dirty as hell.
All good firearms getting expensive. I grew up on an Uncles 1100, started shooting it back in the 60's. That was some nice walnut and steel on that old gun. I never had gas problems, not an 1100 anyway.

All good firearms getting expensive. I grew up on an Uncles 1100, started shooting it back in the 60's. That was some nice walnut and steel on that old gun. I never had gas problems, not an 1100 anyway.
Nah, me either.....I think people get intimidated by gas system shotguns. It does not help that the old Fudds wax all cautionary about them. "Mah o-ring".

Like I said the o-ring in this one did not look to ever had been replaced and while a bit worn I'm sure it would have worked just fine.

That said they are less than a buck each in a 6-pack and they are made of better material than the old ones so it's just cheap insurance......Sorta like replacing the springs in a old P. 38 when you buy one....$12.00 worth of cheap insurance, same with any pre or wartime semi-auto pushing 80+ years old. ;)

I'm wondering if it isn't due to the introduction (flood) of cheap Turkish tacticool shotguns that some people are looking for more traditional blue and wood shotguns that are now limited in supply. That is unless one goes high end and pays thousands of dollars on Benellis or Rugar Red Label, the Beretta Silvers, etc .

Nah, me either.....I think people get intimidated by gas system shotguns. It does not help that the old Fudds wax all cautionary about them. "Mah o-ring".

Like I said the o-ring in this one did not look to ever had been replaced and while a bit worn I'm sure it would have worked just fine.

That said they are less than a buck each in a 6-pack and they are made of better material than the old ones so it's just cheap insurance......Sorta like replacing the springs in a old P. 38 when you buy one....$12.00 worth of cheap insurance, same with any pre or wartime semi-auto pushing 80+ years old. ;)
Nah, Gas shotguns good. I may have replaced one in an old Sportsman, kinda foggy to me now!

Got one of the Russian Baikal MP153 think, 12ga eats everything. They said gas is finicky, adjust valve on it. I've shot 3 1/2 and 2 3/4 without changing anything. Like you say though, cheap insurance, so easy and up to snuff.

On 1100's I did have a 20ga 1100. Was some special edition, trap I think. Oh so sweet.

I'm wondering if it isn't due to the introduction (flood) of cheap Turkish tacticool shotguns that some people are looking for more traditional blue and wood shotguns that are now limited in supply. That is unless one goes high end and pays thousands of dollars on Benellis or Rugar Red Label, the Beretta Silvers, etc .
Could be. I remember I would never own a plastic anything on a gun, sorta was the same on cars! I adapted.

Now some of the Turks coming is are getting irrestible, the 410 OE with the beautiful turk walnut, changeable chokes at around $400

Forum List

Back