1964 election JFK vs Goldwater

rich1983

Rookie
Oct 23, 2020
I read somewhere that JFK and Barry Goldwater discussed traveling together and debating each other across the country if Goldwater got the GOP nomination in 1964--reminiscent of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858. Is this true? Had this happened, would presidential debates have a much different format today?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that JFK and Barry Goldwater discussed traveling together and debating each other across the country if Goldwater got the GOP nomination in 1964--reminiscent of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1958. Is this true? Had this happened, would presidential debates have a much different format today?
What happened the year before in Dallas changed
everything, including presidential debates probably.

By the way, I believe Lincoln's debate was in 1858.
( there's a 45-min edit time;))

I read somewhere that JFK and Barry Goldwater discussed traveling together and debating each other across the country if Goldwater got the GOP nomination in 1964--reminiscent of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1958. Is this true? Had this happened, would presidential debates have a much different format today?
All I remember about Barry Goldwater is that it's a dayum good thing he wasn't elected or we might have had a war in Vietnam or something.

They did talk about it but realized that television allowed for greater coverage even at that point in time.

What happened the year before in Dallas changed
everything, including presidential debates probably.

By the way, I believe Lincoln's debate was in 1858.
( there's a 45-min edit time;))

Haha thanks, fixed.

I think those two debating would have made great television for viewers with three-digit IQ's. The masses would have ignored them.

JFK was a flawed person who suffered from a congenital medical condition (Addison's disease) that required constant medication as well as constant back pain that required pain killers prescribed by a "Dr. Feelgood". JFK's serial adultery was well known but the media insisted in calling the administration "Camelot". It's a fact of political history that democrat administrations would always be supported by the media and there would never be a republican that the media would rally around in the 20th or 21st century. It's ironic that LBJ (and the media) used the well edited (by Hollywood) infamous "Daisy commercial" to brand Goldwater as a war monger when a year later LBJ sent Troops to Vietnam on a faked crisis and set the rules that the U.S. would win every battle and lose the freaking war. The media would blame the whole thing on Nixon.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that JFK and Barry Goldwater discussed traveling together and debating each other across the country if Goldwater got the GOP nomination in 1964--reminiscent of the Lincoln-Douglas debates of 1858. Is this true? Had this happened, would presidential debates have a much different format today?

LBJ refused to debate Goldwater. LBJ had a massive lead and was not about to risk it by debating Goldwater.

Goldwater seemingly did all he could to avoid any chance of winning. It was as if he did not want to win. His mind-bogglingly bad, suicidal campaign led a few conservatives to believe that he was a trojan horse, a double agent for the left.

The 1964 election was yet another election most Americans thought they were voting for the lesser evil, by voting for LBJ. Of course like now, the media helped to propagandize millions of Americans into voting D.

It is almost inconceivable to believe LBJ the lesser evil of anyone in politics in 1964. So once again,Americans were lied to and the lies continue today.

Forum List

Back