17 dead, dozens missing in 'unbelievable' Tennessee flooding

DELETED ACCOUNT

Aug 19, 2021
At least 17 people are dead and dozens more are missing after middle Tennessee was hit with record rainfall Friday into Saturday morning.

The flooding in the region caused cars to be tossed like toys and houses ripped off their foundations.

In Humphreys County, 10 were killed and about 40 people remain missing, according to Rob Edwards, chief deputy with the Humphreys County Sheriff's Office.

PHOTO: At least 10 people were killed in Humphreys County, Tenn., on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021, as major flooding swept through the region.

Hardin County Fire Department
At least 10 people were killed in Humphreys County, Tenn., on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021, as major flooding swept through the region.
"We are working very hard to locate the missing persons," Edwards said in an email to ABC News. "We are doing house to house checks in the areas hit the hardest within our county."

Humphreys County is located along the Tennessee River, about 90 minutes west of Nashville.

"We have power outages all over the area," Edwards added. "Complicating issues is the loss of all cell phone coverage from the major carriers. They are bringing in portable units to assist with communications. We have lost a lot of roads both rural and major highways. In my 28 years it's the worst I've ever seen it."

A preliminary rainfall total of 17.02 inches was measured at McEwen, Tennessee, Saturday, which would break the all-time 24 hour rainfall record for the state of Tennessee, according to the National Weather Service. The old record was 13.06 inches, recorded in Milan on Sept. 13, 1982.

PHOTO: At least 10 people were killed in Humphreys County, Tenn., on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021, as major flooding swept through the region.

At least 10 people were killed in Humphreys County, Tenn., on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021, as major flooding swept through the region.

PHOTO: Massive destruction from flooding near Erin, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.

WKRN
WKRN
Massive destruction from flooding near Erin, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.
Flash flood watches were in effect across much of central Tennessee on Saturday.

The Hardin County Fire Department, which went to assist nearby Humphreys County, called the destruction "unbelievable" and said search teams would return to the region on Sunday morning.

PHOTO: Flooding in Humphreys County, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens of others missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.

Flooding in Humphreys County, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens of others missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.
The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency warned people to avoid traveling in Humphreys, Houston, Dickson and Hickman counties.

The Red Cross said it had opened emergency shelters at the YMCA Dickson County in Dickson; the Fairfield Church of Christ in Centerville; and the Waverly Church of Christ and Waverly First Baptist Church in Waverly.

ABC News' Max Golembo, Victoria Arancio and Matt Foster contributed to this report.17 dead, dozens missing in 'unbelievable' Tennessee flooding

At least 17 people are dead and dozens more are missing after middle Tennessee was hit with record rainfall Friday into Saturday morning.

The flooding in the region caused cars to be tossed like toys and houses ripped off their foundations.

In Humphreys County, 10 were killed and about 40 people remain missing, according to Rob Edwards, chief deputy with the Humphreys County Sheriff's Office.

"We are working very hard to locate the missing persons," Edwards said in an email to ABC News. "We are doing house to house checks in the areas hit the hardest within our county."

Humphreys County is located along the Tennessee River, about 90 minutes west of Nashville.

"We have power outages all over the area," Edwards added. "Complicating issues is the loss of all cell phone coverage from the major carriers. They are bringing in portable units to assist with communications. We have lost a lot of roads both rural and major highways. In my 28 years it's the worst I've ever seen it."

A preliminary rainfall total of 17.02 inches was measured at McEwen, Tennessee, Saturday, which would break the all-time 24 hour rainfall record for the state of Tennessee, according to the National Weather Service. The old record was 13.06 inches, recorded in Milan on Sept. 13, 1982.

PHOTO: Massive destruction from flooding near Erin, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.

WKRN
WKRN
Massive destruction from flooding near Erin, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.
Flash flood watches were in effect across much of central Tennessee on Saturday.

The Hardin County Fire Department, which went to assist nearby Humphreys County, called the destruction "unbelievable" and said search teams would return to the region on Sunday morning.

PHOTO: Flooding in Humphreys County, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens of others missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.

Flooding in Humphreys County, Tenn., killed at least 10 people and left dozens of others missing on Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.
The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency warned people to avoid traveling in Humphreys, Houston, Dickson and Hickman counties.

The Red Cross said it had opened emergency shelters at the YMCA Dickson County in Dickson; the Fairfield Church of Christ in Centerville; and the Waverly Church of Christ and Waverly First Baptist Church in Waverly.

ABC News' Max Golembo, Victoria Arancio and Matt Foster contributed to this report.17 dead, dozens missing in 'unbelievable' Tennessee flooding
I guess they weren't vaccinated....

Tennesse has some tough men

Just sad that this happens so much
Not to sound insensitive but geo scientists have known for a long time that most of Tennessee is an ancient flood plane.

Much of the geological excavation there has uncovered layer upon layer of silt laid down on top of each other over the centuries. We knew this was coming.

Not to sound insensitive but geo scientists have known for a long time that most of Tennessee is an ancient flood plane.

Much of the geological excavation there has uncovered layer upon layer of silt laid down on top of each other over the centuries. We knew this was coming.
Likewise, I do not intend insensitivity. I am saddened by the loss of life in this Tennessee flooding. Things can be replaced. Lives cannot be brought back.

Natural floodplains exist in many areas, large and small.

The Mississippi Delta is among the large ones. That's what made the soil some of the most fertile in the world. It is only the continuous levee from Memphis to Vicksburg that keeps it from flooding yearly now. A break in the levee in 1927 caused the most devastating natural disaster in our history. Over 1000 people died, even though the flooding was gradual.

1629898536056.png

Global Warming.
The thing is, people are getting washed out because they've built on flood plains and/or beside water courses etc..

Also, the town where I grew in had a flood in 1984, the beck that went through the town burst it's banks. So going by the global warming alarmists logic, can we assume global warming is going away because my town never flooded again?

Just trying to work out the "Alarmists" mind set.

The thing is, people are getting washed out because they've built on flood plains and/or beside water courses etc..

Also, the town where I grew in had a flood in 1984, the beck that went through the town burst it's banks. So going by the global warming alarmists logic, can we assume global warming is going away because my town never flooded again?

Just trying to work out the "Alarmists" mind set.
Nah...not buying it. Al Gore, and CNN told me all weather anomalies are a result of global warming. I'm sticking with the REAL scientists, thank you!

Carbon induced Global Warming?

I wish there were some way to divert floodwaters from towns oversaturated to states that are burning from lack of water.

If we can build subways to get from point A to point B, why can't we have underground huge tunnels and pipes to guide that excess water elsewhere?

There any USMB members in that area? Donation to the Red Cross or A church group in that area doing charity work is about all we can do and prayers.
The Red Cross would only use about 25 cents or LESS out of every donated dollar for the actual people in need. The rest goes to corporate.
I'd be leary of church groups as well, unless you KNOW FOR A FACT they are honest. And so far in my life, I've NEVER met an honest church.

Do some research to find out where 100% of your donations can be given, that will go to DIRECTLY help the people in need.

I would suggest if you want specific items to be donated, find an honest, reliable place, group, or organization that will allow you to order supplies and have them delivered to their location for these people. Example: If you want to donate food, donate to their local food bank. Call the manager of the food bank and get their address, and let them know you want to order some supplies online for these people and have them sent there.

Possibly the best bet would be to contact the local TV station, newspaper, or public radio station closest to there and see if they have a donation center set up for these people.........get their address and have stuff shipped there.

Always double check the addresses with what you find online............just to be safe and careful.

SBC Disaster Relief​

SBC Disaster Relief
SBC Disaster Relief efforts are well underway. Volunteers are providing meals and doing recovery work in communities wrecked by the storm. Volunteers are providing meals and doing recovery work in communities wrecked by the storm.
  • Phone: (800) 993-1342
  • Followers: 32137

SBC Disaster Relief - Home | Facebook

Forum List

Back