100,000 dead ain't Sheyat compared to 40 million out of work....

We have about 30% of the cases and deaths in the world despite being only 5% of the world population. Our economy is a complete disaster. Do you think we handled this virus well?

You didn't answer the question.

Per capita, we're not the worst. Just one of the worst.

The study is from 2019. You realize this, right? One might want to look at how we have done in the last few months and compare it to this study.

They're using something called the Global Health Security Index. The study ranks systems in place to combat an infection. They use six different categories:
  • Prevention: Prevention of the emergence or release of pathogens
  • Detection and Reporting: Early detection and reporting for epidemics of potential international concern
  • Rapid Response: Rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of an epidemic
  • Health System: Sufficient and robust health system to treat the sick and protect health workers
  • Compliance with International Norms: Commitments to improving national capacity, financing plans to address gaps, and adhering to global norms
  • Risk Environment: Overall risk environment and country vulnerability to biological threats
Based on those categories, we were in good shape to handle this thing. Several months later, we're now leading the world in cases and deaths. By a mile.

Even though we were one of the countries best prepared to handle this thing several months ago, we STILL fucked it up about as bad as humanly possible.

Trump was given an all-star lineup and still somehow managed to lose by 100 points.

Yes indeed, the study is from WAY BACK IN 2019!

When did the virus get released in CHINA?

It's 2020 now. Look at the numbers. We're now leading the world in cases and deaths.

Do you think we've done a good job of handling this?

HMMM... so the USA with 330 million people is the 3rd largest behind India 1,362,670,735 and China at 1,402,799,720...
leads the world in cases right? The USA leads the other two largest countries in testing with 14,767,002 or 4.47% of the USA population.
So explain why China which is 24% larger than the USA have NOT tested anyone!
So explain how China has ONLY 82,985 out of 1.4 billion or 0.0059% cases? And NOT one test reported to WHO!

I don't trust what China says.

Now you know how our scientists felt when the virus first broke out in Wuhan.

We were well-prepared to handle the pandemic. Then we fucked it up.

Wait what?

What part do you not understand? I feel like I'm repeating myself here.

How can we be "well-prepared" and then accuse the president of not having enough testing available? We knock the president for these structural insufficiencies and you come along and say "we were well-prepared."

Not making any sense here.

The study is from 2019. You realize this, right? One might want to look at how we have done in the last few months and compare it to this study.

They're using something called the Global Health Security Index. The study ranks systems in place to combat an infection. They use six different categories:
  • Prevention: Prevention of the emergence or release of pathogens
  • Detection and Reporting: Early detection and reporting for epidemics of potential international concern
  • Rapid Response: Rapid response to and mitigation of the spread of an epidemic
  • Health System: Sufficient and robust health system to treat the sick and protect health workers
  • Compliance with International Norms: Commitments to improving national capacity, financing plans to address gaps, and adhering to global norms
  • Risk Environment: Overall risk environment and country vulnerability to biological threats
Based on those categories, we were in good shape to handle this thing. Several months later, we're now leading the world in cases and deaths. By a mile.

Even though we were one of the countries best prepared to handle this thing several months ago, we STILL fucked it up about as bad as humanly possible.

Trump was given an all-star lineup and still somehow managed to lose by 100 points.

Yes indeed, the study is from WAY BACK IN 2019!

When did the virus get released in CHINA?

It's 2020 now. Look at the numbers. We're now leading the world in cases and deaths.

Do you think we've done a good job of handling this?

HMMM... so the USA with 330 million people is the 3rd largest behind India 1,362,670,735 and China at 1,402,799,720...
leads the world in cases right? The USA leads the other two largest countries in testing with 14,767,002 or 4.47% of the USA population.
So explain why China which is 24% larger than the USA have NOT tested anyone!
So explain how China has ONLY 82,985 out of 1.4 billion or 0.0059% cases? And NOT one test reported to WHO!

I don't trust what China says.

Now you know how our scientists felt when the virus first broke out in Wuhan.

I honestly don't know why anyone would put complete faith in what China says. They could tell me that it's sunny outside and I would still look up to see for myself.

Trump has been criticizing them, which has been fair to do. Then he blindly listens to them. Not smart.

I don't want to.

I have a problem with people who harbor presumptive and preconceived biases. You, with all due respect, have held such biases against the president long before this virus blighted us all.

Your pessimism is pervasive. No optimism to be found. You aren't interested in any good the President is doing, namely because of presumptive and preconceived biases. The common refrain is "he fucked it up."

In short, you lack any objectivity whatsoever.

Wait what?

How can we be "well-prepared" and then accuse the president of not having enough testing available? We knock the president for these structural insufficiencies and you come along and say "we were well-prepared."

Do you even know what you're arguing about? Jesus, you're lost.

Go read post #164. I explained it as clearly as I could.

We're talking about a study done by Johns Hopkins. You can find an article for it here:

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found

Trump has been criticizing them, which has been fair to do. Then he blindly listens to them. Not smart.

Oh every scientist in the world was listening to China's scientists. A mistake, sure, but a reasonable assumption nonetheless. There is an inherent level of trust in the scientific community. Scientists trust each other to be factual and exact. But it seems that our scientists relied on that trust a bit too much and were betrayed.

I don't want to.

I have a problem with people who harbor presumptive and preconceived biases. You, with all due respect, have held such biases against the president long before this virus blighted us all.

Your pessimism is pervasive. No optimism to be found. You aren't interested in any good the President is doing, namely because of presumptive and preconceived biases. The common refrain is "he fucked it up."

Of course you don't want to answer the question. Because it objectively shows how poorly we have done.

Thanks for playing.

Wait what?

We're talking about a study done by Johns Hopkins. You can find an article for it here:

US was more prepared for pandemic than any other country, Johns Hopkins study found

And, thanks for the ammo.

From your article:

Nevertheless, misleading reports about the Trump campaign's pandemic response efforts have continued to spread. A recent report by Reuters that the U.S. had recently terminated a CDC position in China was widely cited by Democrats and reporters as evidence of a lack of preparedness, and formed the basis for a reporter's question at a recent White House coronavirus briefing.

But, the article itself made clear that experts didn't think the move had anything to do with the spread of coronavirus in the United States.

"One disease expert told Reuters he was skeptical that the U.S. resident adviser would have been able to get earlier or better information to the Trump administration, given the Chinese government’s suppression of information," the outlet noted.

“In the end, based on circumstances in China, it probably wouldn’t have made a big difference,” former CDC epidemiologist and Emory University professor Scott McNabb told Reuters.

The problem was how the Chinese handled it," McNabb continued. "What should have changed was the Chinese should have acknowledged it earlier and didn’t.”

I don't want to.

Of course you don't want to answer the question. Because it objectively shows how poorly we have done.

Thanks for playing.

Indeed. See the previous response.

No, I'm going off of the aggregate comments both you and Jack made over the past 12 hours. Noting a contradiction.

It's completely 100% obvious that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe, just maybe, it might help for you to understand the details of the study that's being discussed before claiming there's a contradiction.

Crazy idea, right?

Wait what?

And, thanks for the ammo.

From your article:

Nevertheless, misleading reports about the Trump campaign's pandemic response efforts have continued to spread. A recent report by Reuters that the U.S. had recently terminated a CDC position in China was widely cited by Democrats and reporters as evidence of a lack of preparedness, and formed the basis for a reporter's question at a recent White House coronavirus briefing.

But, the article itself made clear that experts didn't think the move had anything to do with the spread of coronavirus in the United States.

"One disease expert told Reuters he was skeptical that the U.S. resident adviser would have been able to get earlier or better information to the Trump administration, given the Chinese government’s suppression of information," the outlet noted.

“In the end, based on circumstances in China, it probably wouldn’t have made a big difference,” former CDC epidemiologist and Emory University professor Scott McNabb told Reuters.

The problem was how the Chinese handled it," McNabb continued. "What should have changed was the Chinese should have acknowledged it earlier and didn’t.”

No disagreement with China's handling of this. And we shouldn't have believed them.

Maybe, just maybe, it might help for you to understand the details of the study that's being discussed before claiming there's a contradiction.

Crazy idea, right?

Let me make this clear. Jack claimed we outright failed, YOU are contending that we were well prepared.

When failure happens, failure is complete, both in preparedness and in action.

Crazy idea, right?

Let me make this clear. Jack claimed we outright failed, YOU are contending that we were well prepared.

When failure happens, failure is complete, both in preparedness and in action.

The study claims we were well-prepared. We were the #1 country in terms of being prepared BY THEIR METRICS. Notice the part that I capitalized there.

Jesus. Read the damn study and then get back to me.

You're a lost child with no idea what you're even arguing against.

Forum List

Back