100,000,000 Question Marks

Flanders

ARCHCONSERVATIVE
Sep 23, 2010
In 2007 I posted a message that was very critical of the DESIGN, —— I repeat “THE DESIGN” —— of the Vietnam War Memorial. This excerpt from an article by Duncan Maxwell Anderson said it all for me:
What these modern war memorials have in common with each other is nothing. They portray nothingness. They have no people in them, never mind men carrying guns or swords, statues of Winged Victory, or even doves of peace. Just death and names -- grief without glory.

November 11, 2007
Monuments to Wimpdom
By Duncan Maxwell Anderson

Articles Monuments to Wimpdom
I was always uncomfortable with the design of the Vietnam War Memorial but never said anything against it. I felt that any criticism would be twisted by Lefties into a slur against the men and women whose names appear on the “Wall.” The anti-Vietnam War traitors defending America’s fallen heroes because of something I said would have been more than I can bear. Unfortunately I was right. Whenever I broached the topic in the following years the Left’s perpetually outraged morality had a field day criticizing my objections.

Parenthetically, since 2007, the worst people in our society have acquired more political power than they ever had since they worked so hard to give America’s enemy in Vietnam a victory at any cost.

Democrat contempt for the thousands who died in Vietnam, and, indeed, contempt for most men and women who serve in the military for this country was not a campaign issue in 2008, or in 2010, or in 2012. It should have been because the Democrats who came to power in 2008 are the very people who despise the military unless it can be used to fight for the United Nations. Much to my delight, and astonishment, Bill O’Reilly seems to be getting the message. Move the cursor tp 2:15 to hear what I mean:

There is a subliminal political message involved in Anderson’s “grief without glory” aspect of the Vietnam War Memorial’s design. Traditional designs honor the sacrifice as well as those who made it. The Vietnam War Memorial is different in that the dead are listed, but the message is that their sacrifice was a waste. How many visiting the Wall remember that the Vietnam War was fought against Communism? That was not a waste.

The political message incorporated in the Vietnam War Memorial also justifies the anti-Vietnam War demonstrations by American Communists who did not, and do not, care one iota about the men and women who gave their lives fighting against Communism.

Peaceniks claim that the Wall’s design is an anti-war statement. Their message is that the men and woman listed on the Wall would be anti-war liberals were they still alive. That’s an insult to those who knowingly sacrificed their lives fighting against Communist expansion in Southeast Asia.

There is a danger inherent for the Left in their anti-war rhetoric whenever Communism is threatened. All-encompassing anti-war messages must include anti-self-defense wars. That line of reasoning could easily grow to include anti-revolution sentiments. Then where would Communists be?

NOTE: I’ve seen one small monument reminding people of the two million Christian Armenians slaughtered by Turkish Muslims in the waning days of the Ottoman Empire. There are probably more monuments in this country built to honor the victims of totalitarian government that I have not seen. If so, they are erected with private donations. There is no national monument reminding future generations of the horrors inflicted on mankind by government.

Somebody agrees with me

Many years ago I said that I would like to see a national monument dedicated to the tens of millions who were murdered by totalitarian governments in the last century alone. Perhaps a national day of remembrance, too.

August 25, 2014
Never forget: A memorial to Communism's 100 million dead
By Rick Moran

Blog Never forget A memorial to Communism s 100 million dead
Such a monument copying the design of the Vietnam War Memorial would be acceptable because there is no glory in dying a victim. A monument containing all of the names murdered by their own government would dwarf the Great Wall of China.

images

Obviously, the names of more than 100,000,000 million murdered will never be known; so perhaps a wall depicting 100,000,000 plus question marks will suffice.

Lady Liberty

I have always been critical of that foul plaque containing The New Colossus in the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. See this thread for a few comments on the topic:

Finally, here’s an update on Ike’s memorial:
“This memorial is effectively dead. This design will never get built,” says Shubow. “The challenge for opponents is: How do you kill a zombie?”

U.S. News
The Strange Fight Over the Eisenhower Memorial
Eleanor Clift

The Strange Fight Over the Eisenhower Memorial - The Daily Beast
For those who are interested in learning how national disgraces are born, you can view some pictures and read some background about the Eisenhower Memorial in this thread:

I wonder if the Russians got the idea from the Vietnam War Memorial:

_65603774_id.gif

Valentina Savelyeva spent her life trying to find out about her father​
Now her father's name, TT Ponomarev, has been inscribed long with 17,000 other new names on a section of the memorial that has been added for the 70th anniversary.

"They have only started putting up these plaques now," she complained, the tears running down her cheeks.

31 January 2013 Last updated at 02:42 ET
Remembering the horrors of StalingradBy Daniel Sandford BBC News, Volgograd

BBC News - Remembering the horrors of Stalingrad

Senator Pat Roberts is hanging tough for the wrong thing. Now if only Republicans would hang in there to stop destructive Democrat legislation:

A lone senator is still pursuing the construction of a controversial memorial to the 34th president despite a lack of support from his fellow Republicans and the family of Dwight Eisenhower.​

Senator Pat Roberts (R., Kan.) says he was disappointed that the Senate Interior Appropriations Subcommittee reduced construction funding for the monument to zero last week, . . .

Senator Alone In Eisenhower Memorial Fight
Critics: Pat Roberts ‘delusional,’ has left Kansas for ‘the land of Oz’
BY: Thomas Novelly
June 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Senator Alone In Eisenhower Memorial Fight Washington Free Beacon

Yeah a war memorial is supposed to be a general riding on a horse.

The wall is only part of the memorial.
To konradv: Three Soldiers represents heroism. The Vietnam Wall represents a war that was fought to stop the spread of Communism, but media gives the Wall the publicity because it represents liberal's hatred of the Vietnam War.

The phonies who love war when it is fought for Communism pretend they care about the men and women who fought and died fighting against Communism in SE Asia. If the U.S. military was fighting FOR Communism do you honestly believe that that piece of garbage in the White House would lead the country to defeat as he is doing in the war against Islam?

This book and movie must have made you and your kind more sick with hatred than usual:

“Ride the Thunder” main characters Marine legend John Ripley and Vietnamese hero, Major Le Ba Binh

“I’ve been waiting 40 years for this film!” was a common refrain among the Vietnam War veterans and the South Vietnamese Americans – most with tears streaming down their faces – who gathered to witness their powerful story finally making it onto the big screen at the wildly popular premiere of “Ride the Thunder: A Vietnam War Story of Victory and Betrayal” – and now the cutting-edge film is expanding with showings in at least four states in May.

As WND reported, the vividly accurate film about one of the most shockingly misunderstood wars in American history took Westminster, California, by storm when it premiered in from March 27 to April 2, selling more than $30,000 in tickets in just three days during its limited release at a single movie theater. The film soared to No. 1 in the nation for box office revenue from March 27-29 on a per-theater basis.

Vietnam War story takes America by storm
Posted By Chelsea Schilling On 05/17/2015 @ 7:53 pm

Vietnam War story takes America by storm

Anybody interested in learning more about the real Vietnam War and how Lefties still portray it see this thread:

Watch Read Learn US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Yeah a war memorial is supposed to be a general riding on a horse.
To regent: You obviously love grief without glory:

From the OP
What these modern war memorials have in common with each other is nothing. They portray nothingness. They have no people in them, never mind men carrying guns or swords, statues of Winged Victory, or even doves of peace. Just death and names -- grief without glory.​

The wall is only part of the memorial.
To konradv: Three Soldiers represents heroism. The Vietnam Wall represents a war that was fought to stop the spread of Communism, but media gives the Wall the publicity because it represents liberal's hatred of the Vietnam War.
What was to love about the Vietnam War? Hatred of war is a given for most people. You're distracting from my message which was that the wall is only part of the memorial, PERIOD!

Of all the WWII generals Eisenhower is the only one being honored with a major memorial. The problem is: The damn thing is a national disgrace:

July 25, 2014
Saving General Eisenhower
By Andrew E. Harrod

Articles: Saving General Eisenhower

See this thread for more details:

Memorials, Hoodies, & Peckers | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Happy to report that veterans might have success in stopping a monstrosity:

Eisenhower-Memorial.jpg
http://s1.freebeacon.com/up/2015/11/Eisenhower-Memorial.jpg

Dwarfing the memorial’s statuary is a 400-foot-long steel tapestry “artfully woven and welded” to depict a grey landscape from Eisenhower’s hometown of Abilene, Kansas. The steel mesh is held aloft by unadorned limestone columns eight stories tall and 10 feet in diameter.

Much of the criticism directed at Gehry’s design has focused on its steel screens and columns, which are a departure from other memorials in the D.C. area. The backdrop, the group said, is inappropriate for the memorial of a legendarily modest subject.

Justin Shubow, president of the National Civic Art Society and a leading critic of Gehry’s design, said that the bare trees depicted on the steel tapestry suggest “permanent winter—a bad allegory” for Eisenhower’s life. The tapestry, Shubow added, is larger than the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles.

Veterans Group Calls for New Design of Eisenhower Memorial
Pressure grows to reject Frank Gehry’s design, hold new comp
BY: Blake Seitz
November 3, 2015 5:00 am

Veterans Group Calls for New Design of Eisenhower Memorial

I don't see what the problem is except that the Vietnam War Memorial humanizes the dead Americans. It isn't just some statue of a general atop a horse, or some archway, or some abstract piece of art. Each name on that memorial was an actual person, cut down in a war none of them chose to start, and each of whom had dreams, hopes, fears, loved ones left behind, and someone who will mourn their loss forever.

I used to go along with the war is great and glorious and a good time will be had by all mindset when I was much younger, but now I'm at the point where I can see the necessity of war at times, but still think it is stupid and wasteful and should be avoided if at all possible. If it can't be, let the old men and ideologues who want to start wars fight them and let the average Joe just live out his life in peace.

I don't see what the problem is except that the Vietnam War Memorial humanizes the dead Americans.
To Steven_R: The Vietnam Wall is a political statement that is an insult to the men and women who gave their lives fighting Communism. Note that the anti-war Left never admitted they were demonstrating for Communism, To this day American Communists claim they opposed an unjust war.

The worst of it is that the design implies that those men and women did not know what they were fighting against. Not a one of them agreed to use their sacrifice for anti-America propaganda. The truth is:

Author Tom Wolfe called it “a tribute to [anti-war activist] Jane Fonda,” Vietnam veteran Jim Webb, a future U.S. Senator, referred to it as “a nihilistic slab of stone,” and political commentator Pat Buchanan accused one of the design judges of being a communist. Some critics even resorted to racially insulting Lin, the daughter of Chinese immigrants. Eventually, a compromise was reached—against Lin’s wishes—under which a U.S. flag and a statue of three servicemen were dedicated near the wall in 1984.

6 Things You May Not Know About the Vietnam Veterans Memorial - History in the Headlines

I don't see what the problem is except that the Vietnam War Memorial humanizes the dead Americans. It isn't just some statue of a general atop a horse, or some archway, or some abstract piece of art. Each name on that memorial was an actual person, cut down in a war none of them chose to start, and each of whom had dreams, hopes, fears, loved ones left behind, and someone who will mourn their loss forever.

I used to go along with the war is great and glorious and a good time will be had by all mindset when I was much younger, but now I'm at the point where I can see the necessity of war at times, but still think it is stupid and wasteful and should be avoided if at all possible. If it can't be, let the old men and ideologues who want to start wars fight them and let the average Joe just live out his life in peace.
I think you are missing the point. Don't you think fighting Communism, which killed about 94 million people, was a worthy cause? If you are saying war is brutal or that Johnson was a poor strategist I don't disagree, but people who died fighting totalitarian Communism died in a noble cause.

Frank Gehry is responsible for a lot of ugly buildings.

Here's one:
Biomuseo5-770x514.jpg

Looks like something thrown together by a hyperactive toddler.

This is a great World War One memorial:

Liberty-Memorial.jpg

Liberty Memorial in Kansas City, Missouri

http://s3.freebeacon.com/up/2015/11/Liberty-Memorial.jpg

Let’s all hope that liberalism’s ideology will not dominate the design of a WW I memorial in the hopper for Washington as it did with the Vietnam War Memorial and Ike’s:

Today history is repeating itself, as another memorial commission—for the Eisenhower—is locked in a bitter war of attrition with Congress over funding. The outlook for a national World War I memorial in the nation’s capital is brighter. Spurred by the death of the last American veteran of World War I, Frank Buckles, in 2011, plans are underway to complete a memorial by November 11, 2018, the 100 year anniversary of the war’s end. An open design competition has already concluded. Five finalists have been selected.​

The Battle for America’s World War One Memorial
Essay: A design competition with high moral stakes
BY: Blake Seitz
November 28, 2015 5:00 am

The Battle for America’s World War One Memorial

I think you are missing the point. Don't you think fighting Communism, which killed about 94 million people, was a worthy cause? If you are saying war is brutal or that Johnson was a poor strategist I don't disagree, but people who died fighting totalitarian Communism died in a noble cause.
Fighting communism may have been a noble cause but what does it have to do with Vietnam? At the end of WWII when Ho Chi Minh asked the US for help to be free of colonization as in our own Declaration of Independence we made the decision to help the French keep their colony.

Fighting communism may have been a noble cause but what does it have to do with Vietnam? At the end of WWII when Ho Chi Minh asked the US for help to be free of colonization as in our own Declaration of Independence
To regent: I see you are still pushing the sewer rat’s brand of Communism:

All I wanted to do last week was enjoy my vacation. Instead, I was assaulted by another breathtaking statement from the president of the United States, provided courtesy of an official White House press release. The occasion was a July 25 meeting between President Obama and the leader of communist Vietnam. Obama stated: “President Sang shared with me a copy of a letter sent by Ho Chi Minh to Harry Truman. And we discussed the fact that Ho Chi Minh was actually inspired by the U.S. Declaration of Independence and Constitution, and the words of Thomas Jefferson.”

This, of course, is utter nonsense. Ho Chi Minh was a committed Marxist-Leninist revolutionary who cut his teeth at Moscow’s Lenin School. He became one of the Soviet Comintern’s most successful agents. Among the testimonies to his efforts are the countless boat people from Vietnam who now live in America (many of whom voted for Obama).

But not only is Obama’s statement nonsense; it’s also the product of communist propaganda.

In 2010, I published a book called Dupes: How America’s Adversaries Have Manipulated Progressives for a Century. There, I shared numerous lines cooked up by Communist Party USA (CPUSA) to dupe liberals. One of them was precisely the line Obama echoed on July 25. CPUSA and its mouthpieces regularly compared Ho Chi Minh to the American Founders, claiming he was fighting for the ideas not of the Bolshevik Revolution but of the American Revolution. This line was employed constantly, and it worked magically with wide-eyed liberals. In Dupes, I gave several examples, including Dr. Benjamin Spock, a leftist dupe easily manipulated by American communists.

Ho Chi Minh, Obama’s Freedom Fighter
By Paul Kengor on 8.7.13 @ 6:08AM
Our president echoes the Party line on Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh, Obama's Freedom Fighter
we made the decision to help the French keep their colony.
To regent: Had the French won at Dien Bien Phu this country would not have had to fight the Vietnam War to stop Communism:

Incidentally, Ho Chi Minh died in 1969 —— after the Vietnam War was well underway. So how come Communists did not adopt America’s founding liberties after they won the war?

And in case you did not notice it, Communists love to associate their ideology with America’s freedoms. Saul Alinsky in his novel Reveille for Radicals uses the word radicals when he means Communists:

The American Radicals were in the colonies grimly forcing the addition of the Bill of Rights to our Constitution. Saul Alinsky
Does anybody really believe that Communists would force liberty on anyone?

Forum List

Back