$1 in 1980 is worth $3.73 today

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2019
Maybe this will help he Trump supporters understand why it's important to NOT support someone who's spent $8 trillion in just 4 years and increased the debt ceiling twice. Plus suspended it for 2 full years.
13.31% since Biden.
28% since Trump. In the 4 years of 12.9% during Trump
11.47% during Obama.

$1 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3.73 today, an increase of $2.73 over 43 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.11% per year between 1980 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 272.60%.

This means that today's prices are 3.73 times as high as average prices since 1980, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 26.810% of what it could buy back then.

The inflation rate in 1980 was 13.50%. The current inflation rate compared to last year is now 3.67%. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent in buying power to $1.04 next year. The current inflation rate page gives more detail on the latest inflation rates.

Øbama doubled the debt. Biden is heading us into a $2 trillion deficit.

Using the gross debt figure Trump cites, debt grew from $10.6 trillion on Inauguration Day 2009 to $19.4 trillion as of July 21. Using the more economically meaningful figure of debt held by the public, which excludes money that the government owes to itself, debt more than doubled from $6.3 trillion to $14 trillion.​

Using the gross debt figure Trump cites, debt grew from $10.6 trillion on Inauguration Day 2009 to $19.4 trillion as of July 21. Using the more economically meaningful figure of debt held by the public, which excludes money that the government owes to itself, debt more than doubled from $6.3 trillion to $14 trillion.​

Fact!

Maybe this will help he Trump supporters understand why it's important to NOT support someone who's spent $8 trillion in just 4 years and increased the debt ceiling twice. Plus suspended it for 2 full years.
13.31% since Biden.
11.47% during Obama.

$1 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3.73 today, an increase of $2.73 over 43 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.11% per year between 1980 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 272.60%.

This means that today's prices are 3.73 times as high as average prices since 1980, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 26.810% of what it could buy back then.

The inflation rate in 1980 was 13.50%. The current inflation rate compared to last year is now 3.67%. If this number holds, $1 today will be equivalent in buying power to $1.04 next year. The current inflation rate page gives more detail on the latest inflation rates.
You fail. Are you a sock for the poster "Banker"?

This is one of the most deceptively and worst worded threads in the history of USMB.

Your source states;

"$1 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3.73 today."

That does NOT mean that $1 in 1980 is worth $3.73 today, it means $3.73 today would be the equivalent of a dollar back then. If you want to know how much a dollar back then is worth today? Take that dollar, and divide it by the 3.73.

That TRUE title of your thread should be. . .

$1 in 1980 is worth .268 cents today​

(or just slightly more than a quarter.) Which checks out.

If you look at the price of soft drinks, candy bars, gas, etc.

You can't really get a soda or a candy bar for anything but a dollar these days. (I used to pay a quarter for pop and candy bars in 1980.)

Accidently or deliberately written to have the most absurd headline ever ?
The body copy gets to the truth but it is all so convoluted and misleading .

It just needs The Wanker to chime in with one of his pieces of gibberish to bring the topic to a new dysfunctional .height

This is one of the most deceptively and worst worded threads in the history of USMB.

Your source states;

"$1 in 1980 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $3.73 today."

That does NOT mean that $1 in 1980 is worth $3.73 today, it means $3.73 today would be the equivalent of a dollar back then. If you want to know how much a dollar back then is worth today? Take that dollar, and divide it by the 3.73.

That TRUE title of your thread should be. . .

$1 in 1980 is worth .268 cents today​

(or just slightly more than a quarter.) Which checks out.

If you look at the price of soft drinks, candy bars, gas, etc.

You can't really get a soda or a candy bar for anything but a dollar these days. (I used to pay a quarter for pop and candy bars in 1980.)

You just didn't read it right. $1 has the same purchasing power as today $3.73. Meaning that was you could buy for $1 then, now cost you almost $4.

Trump spent almost as much in 4 years as Obama did in 8.

Look moron, Obama created more debt than all presidents before him combined. Biden is doing worse. Democrats own the debt.

Trump was stuck with having the rebuild the military that you idiots broke, and having to pay Americans hurt by the China Virus, which your governors used as an excuse to destroy their economies in order to defeat Trump.

You entire thread is pure bullshit and you are a retarded half-wit

13.31% since Biden.
11.47% during Obama.

That is what happens when you let bankers and chain stores take over and monopolize entire industries. Take a look at consumer debt and corporate debt; they dwarf govt. debt, and P/E ratios on stocks these days are just ridiculous.

Last time we had anything near economic sense in Washington, Clinton was president.

The worst period of inflation burned in my memory was throughout the 1970's. Nixon introduced wage-and-price control. Ford had his WIN buttons (Whip Inflation Now). Finally Carter bit the bullet, appointed Paul Volcker as chairman of the Fed, who slowed the economy through massive interest rate hikes. Home mortgage rates were 21% when I went looking for a home in 1981.

Looking back on the 60's we had spending going towards the war in Vietnam, the Great Society, the race to the Moon. And then soon after came the OPEC oil embargo of 1973 and it was goodbye 32.9¢/gallon gas prices and hello double nickel speed limit.

$1 in 1970 is worth $7.91 today.

The inflation rate in 1980 was 13.50%.

The late 70s/early 80s saw some of the highest inflation we have ever seen. Since the late 70s, wage increases have never really kept up with the cost of living and we are all the poorer for it.

A dollar back in the latter part of the 19th century would buy you $25 today, so back then, you could get a whole load of groceries for about $6.00. I remember my dad buying a nice car for $2,000. Now I just spent as much for a new mattress.

The late 70s/early 80s saw some of the highest inflation we have ever seen. Since the late 70s, wage increases have never really kept up with the cost of living and we are all the poorer for it.

A dollar back in the latter part of the 19th century would buy you $25 today, so back then, you could get a whole load of groceries for about $6.00. I remember my dad buying a nice car for $2,000. Now I just spent as much for a new mattress.
I remember buying 16k of RAM for $600. Now I can get a million times that much RAM for less than $30.

1990ish Roses ad.

69779 (2).JPG

13.31% since Biden.
11.47% during Obama.

You can't possibly this dumb...

priceindex.jpg

If I remember correctly in 1980 I was making about $20K a year as a young Engineer and my wife was probably making about $18K as a school teacher. That is roughly the equivalent of $150K family income of today.

We lived pretty well and manage to buy some property and build a new house during that time frame. The house and property we bought for $100K in the early 80s is worth about $700K now.

I'm not sure a family nowadays with an income of $150K could afford a $700K home now.

Forum List

Back