# 1 American Female Singer of All Time - Karen Carpenter

Is there a doctor in the house ? Go away. Shoo fly.
I'm sorry that you've been suckered into a generational hole. But... There is nothing remarkable here. No display of vocals, or lyrical talent. Sorry man. I've heard it before. It sounds like my Jr. High Choir teacher. No relatable emotion. Limited range. And no personal Introspecrion... It's like listening to the soundtrack from Reading Fucking Rainbow...

When Karen Carpenter was alive, Paul McCartney, then at the height of his fame, referring to her, said that she has “the best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive.” That was a massive compliment back in the day, but it remains solid to this day, by music critics and other professional singer-musicians, of which I am one. John Lennon also praised her as having a beautiful voice.

Here we are in that time of the year again, and supermarkets and department stores play Christmas songs through their PA speakers, giving us that Christmas feeling while we shop. And whose songs do we hear all over America, every year in the stores ? Karen Carpenter. I have lived in 4 states of the US in my life, and I sometimes visit friends there (New York, Tennessee, California). In all of these, plus my home state of Florida, it is a longtime ritual for Karen Carpenter songs to be heard along with our Christmas shopping - and this has been going on for 50 years.

Looks like Paul McCartney has plenty of company for his music appreciation. Notably, Karen sang in a contralto range (ie. The lowest female voice or voice part, higher than tenor and lower than soprano. The terms contralto and alto refer to a similar musical pitch, but among singers, the term contralto is reserved for female singers; the equivalent male form is counter-tenor.

Quite remarkable Karen was one of the very few singers ever, who sang across 3 different octaves, and she did it consistently and effortlessly. As you walk around in the stores this Christmas season, undoubtably you'll hear that wide ranging contralto voice, and if you have an ear for music, you can feel fortunate to have such a marvelous voice there while you shop.

View attachment 731488
Karen Carpenter with Olivia Newton John in 1981.
She is also my favorite female vocalist.

Who the Fuck are you
I'm a MUSICIAN and singer, who plays 5 different instruments all on a professional level, and in 10 different genres. And you ? Other than being an annoying troll, messing up a nice thread, that really shouldn't have a word of disagreement.

Hardly. Just not stuck in the 60-70's...
Oh, that's your gripe, huh ? Another youngster with a generation complex.

Karen was better than the solo female singers of the 40's & 50's too. They knew it clearly. They didn't moan about it.

Oh, that's your gripe, huh ? Another youngster with a generation complex.

Karen was better than the solo female singers of the 40's & 50's too. They knew it clearly. They didn't moan about it.
Neither would Carpenter with her modern peers who have surpassed her.
Good observation. I agree...

I'm sorry that you've been suckered into a generational hole. But... There is nothing remarkable here. No display of vocals, or lyrical talent. Sorry man. I've heard it before. It sounds like my Jr. High Choir teacher. No relatable emotion. Limited range. And no personal Introspecrion... It's like listening to the soundtrack from Reading Fucking Rainbow...
You're doing a hell of a job of making a total fool out of yourself. that's what happens when you go up against the consensus of the whole western world, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Elton John, Rolling Stone Magazine, Bob Hope.

When the Carpenters appeared on the Bob Hope Special TV show, it was early in their career. Hope noted that despite how young they were then, and how early it was in their career, they had already racked up 3 Grammy Awards, 14 gold records (songs), and 20 Million sales.

Neither would Carpenter with her modern peers who have surpassed her.
Good observation. I agree...
No one has ever surpassed her, and she has never had "peers'. As for "modern" folks, and their appreciaton of Karen Carpenter, it's hard to argue with this statistic: the official YouTube video of Karen Carpenter singing "Rainy Days and Mondays" had almost 30 million views in 2019. Too bad she didn't live to see it.

Last edited:
You're doing a hell of a job of making a total fool out of yourself. that's what happens when you go up against the consensus of the whole western world, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Elton John, Rolling Stone Magazine, Bob Hope.

When the Carpenters appeared on the Bob Hope Special TV show, it was early in their career. Hope noted that despite how young they were then, and how early it was in their career, they had already racked up 3 Grammy Awards, 14 gold records (songs), and 20 Million sales.
Really? We're summoning Bob Hope energy!? OMFG! :laugh:

Lol! More like going up against the local retirement home. But even geezers need their heros I suppose...
And why do you feel some kind of warped need to do that ? Old person hit you with a cane when you were small ? Never got over it ? :rolleyes:

And old people aren't the only ones overwhelmed by Karen's heavenly voice. Young people are tuning in too.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back