Your Steak Is Getting Cheaper at the Supermarket

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
Beef is getting cheaper, bringing some economic relief to U.S. consumers.

Prices of beef, typically among the costliest grocery store purchases, are falling after more than a year of increases, as consumer demand softens for some cuts. Supplies are improving due to better staffing at meat plants, and supermarkets are offering more discounts on rib-eye, New York strip and other often-expensive products.

Retail beef prices fell 0.7% for the four-week period ended Aug. 7, compared with the same period a year ago, according to data from research firm Information Resources Inc. That decline came after beef prices fell 1% during the prior four-week period, which was the first monthly decline since June 2021. U.S. retail beef prices hadn't fallen for two straight months in over a year and a half, though they remain at historically high levels.

Prices for rib-eye and beef loin are down nearly 10% for the four weeks ended Aug. 7 compared with a year ago, while brisket decreased about 18%.

Howard Radziminsky, a retiree who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., said he recently bought rib-eye for $5.97 a pound and New York strip steaks for $4.77 a pound. Mr. Radziminsky, who follows a protein-heavy diet and eats red meat five to six days a week, said he hadn’t seen rib-eye sell for under $6 a pound in a while.

“Promotional prices have come back to where they were two years ago,” he said. “I always eat red meat. I’m happy.”

Prices of beef, typically among the costliest grocery store purchases, are falling after more than a year of increases, as consumer demand softens for some cuts. Supplies are improving due to better staffing at meat plants, and supermarkets are offering more discounts on rib-eye, New York strip and other often-expensive products.

Retail beef prices fell 0.7% for the four-week period ended Aug. 7, compared with the same period a year ago, according to data from research firm Information Resources Inc. That decline came after beef prices fell 1% during the prior four-week period, which was the first monthly decline since June 2021. U.S. retail beef prices hadn't fallen for two straight months in over a year and a half, though they remain at historically high levels.

Prices for rib-eye and beef loin are down nearly 10% for the four weeks ended Aug. 7 compared with a year ago, while brisket decreased about 18%.

Howard Radziminsky, a retiree who lives in Scottsdale, Ariz., said he recently bought rib-eye for $5.97 a pound and New York strip steaks for $4.77 a pound. Mr. Radziminsky, who follows a protein-heavy diet and eats red meat five to six days a week, said he hadn’t seen rib-eye sell for under $6 a pound in a while.

“Promotional prices have come back to where they were two years ago,” he said. “I always eat red meat. I’m happy.”

Only the truly dumb, like you, don't realize the price is still 50% higher than it was when your president took office.

When food prices quadruple in less than a year going down a few pennies is nothing to cheer about... you biden lovers look stupid trying to wave a victory flag over this... and some beef prices have gone down a fraction but chicken and fish are way up... how about a bag of chips for $7 ..... or a six pack for $9.... eggs for $7 a carton....
Give me a break.....

Only the truly dumb, like you, don't realize the price is still 50% higher than it was when your president took office.
While I despise Biden more than most; there are still limits to the things any President can do, or be held solely responsible for. A lot of the supply chain issues can be traced back to the Covid scam. And the system still hasn't recovered. And while we may see a price decrease in the immediate term due to flooding of the market by panicked ranchers; the availability of beef in the coming year is likely to suffer a bottle neck due to farmers selling off much earlier than they otherwise would have.

LOL. The article is from WSJ. Not known to be liberal. Do you think, I made this stuff up?

LOL. The article is from WSJ. Not known to be liberal. Do you think, I made this stuff up?

No, I said you're dumb enough to celebrate the fact that you're paying 50% more for food than you were two years ago. But of course you are, because that's what you voted for, and that's what you wanted.

While I despise Biden more than most; there are still limits to the things any President can do, or be held solely responsible for. A lot of the supply chain issues can be traced back to the Covid scam. And the system still hasn't recovered. And while we may see a price decrease in the immediate term due to flooding of the market by panicked ranchers; the availability of beef in the coming year is likely to suffer a bottle neck due to farmers selling off much earlier than they otherwise would have.

What you say is true- but Biden was a big part of the covid scam.

Looks like we need a "Fantasy Forum" here. Then posts like this one can be moved there.

When food prices quadruple in less than a year going down a few pennies is nothing to cheer about... you biden lovers look stupid trying to wave a victory flag over this... and some beef prices have gone down a fraction but chicken and fish are way up... how about a bag of chips for $7 ..... or a six pack for $9.... eggs for $7 a carton....
Give me a break.....
Idiot. This is verbatim from the WSJ. Any time the media prints the truth you idiots claim they are Biden lovers. And you wonder why no one takes you seriously.

Give me a break.....

I'm hardly a Biden lover, but I've never paid over $4 for a dozen eggs or paid $7 for a bag of chips...

I'm hardly a Biden lover, but I've never paid over $4 for a dozen eggs or paid $7 for a bag of chips...
I like eggs that are fresh and have orange yolks from free range multi fed chickens... which mean they have a varied diet making their eggs taste better.... they cost more but they are worth it and I buy name brand chips... Americans work hard and deserve the best... you can bet biden doesn't eat $4 eggs...

No, I said you're dumb enough to celebrate the fact that you're paying 50% more for food than you were two years ago. But of course you are, because that's what you voted for, and that's what you wanted.
So, when prices go down, we are dumb to celebrate? And you retards wonder why people laugh at you.

Forum List

Back