Your favorite classic movies?

I just finished watching this movie. One of Hitchcock's best. Great actor's well-done story. A murder mystery with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck.
I had forgotten how good this film is. The story will take a while to get started but it is worth watching from beginning to end.

Apu Trilogy
The Human Condition
The 400 Blows
Manila in the Claws of Light
Raise the Red Lantern
The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari
Lawrence of Arabia

A question: Is there a movie made in the 1990s decade and on into the present that anyone here would consider a classic?

I just finished watching this movie. One of Hitchcock's best. Great actor's well-done story. A murder mystery with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck.
I had forgotten how good this film is. The story will take a while to get started but it is worth watching from beginning to end.

Glad you mention Spellbound. It is a great mystery thriller by the master. Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman couldn't be better. So many great scenes , the dream sequence, the pistol pointed a the camera. Spellbound is a must see for Hitchcock fans.

I have been watching a movie called The Southerner. Fine well made movie. I believe it will fit the classic category.

Yes it was.

The whole story summed up the provincial snobbishness of the colonial British.

India previous to the British assuming administration for the local nobility was worse off. Without the British 'colonialism' it would never have united as a country. The English legacy is still strong in its govt., legal system, and culture, so apparently many Indians don't regard them in a negative light even today. It's just fashionable to snivel about 'white western colonialism' and ignore what the previous mayhem and savagery was like under 'native' rule.

A question: Is there a movie made in the 1990s decade and on into the present that anyone here would consider a classic?

The Unforgiven, 1992 with Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, and Morgan Freeman.

Malcolm X, one of Denzel Washington's best performances imo.

Schindler's List

Forrest Gump

Shawshank Redemption

Silence of the Lambs

All 1990's, I think.

Last edited:
India previous to the British assuming administration for the local nobility was worse off. Without the British 'colonialism' it would never have united as a country. The English legacy is still strong in its govt., legal system, and culture, so apparently many Indians don't regard them in a negative light even today. It's just fashionable to snivel about 'white western colonialism' and ignore what the previous mayhem and savagery was like under 'native' rule.

That’s true. There’s a former colony l visit frequently, in which they’d still be riding around on donkeys, if it were not for the British.

l was merely pointing out the parochialism of the Home Counties English.

The Unforgiven, 1992 with Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, and Morgan Freeman.

Malcolm X, one of Denzel Washington's best performances imo.

Schindler's List

Forrest Gump

Shawshank Redemption

Silence of the Lambs

All 1990's, I think.
Next year I believe will be the 30th anniversary of Forest Gump. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

That’s true. There’s a former colony l visit frequently, in which they’d still be riding around on donkeys, if it were not for the British.

l was merely pointing out the parochialism of the Home Counties English.

The English colonies' post-colonial evolutions seemed to have fared better on average than the French and Spanish colonies did in the aftermath, especially the African disasters.

My grandfather thought that if it weren't for that nutjob Santa Anna Texas would have fared better under Spanish rule than it did as an American state, so my opinion isn't universal even in my own family. 'Independence' was bad for Mexico, though, same for Cuba..

Last edited:
One former English Colony seems to have done remarkably well....until Biden. Oz is doing OK as well. :yes_text12:

Just saying!!!

Greg

Disney folks made some fine G- rated films that are classics and have a fine Moral message this is one of them. Enjoy!

Emperor Of The North
The Sixth Sense
Deliverance
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Dirty Harry
Jeremiah Johnson
Jaws
Star Wars
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
Most of the 007 movies
Most of the Mission Impossible movies