Your favorite classic movies?

That one and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are nearly the only two of his I ever care about seeing over again. I will also watch the one with Dean Martin in it. The latter two I like for the other actors in them.
I think The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was far superior to most of John Wayne's movies. Wayne was good in the role of Tom Doniphon but not at his best. The main factors in the success of Liberty Valence was John Ford's direction, the casting of Wayne, Stewart, and Marvin, and of course Dorthy M. Johnson who wrote the story.

Last edited:
Passage to India was very good.

Beautifully acted.

This was another good one. Based on a novel. Edward Norton always puts in a competent performance.

Another good movie by David Lean is Ryan's Daughter. It did very well at the box office but it wasn't one his movies. What makes this movie worth watching is cinematography and beach scenes when the integrated haunting theme music and the seduction scene.

In A Passage to India, I really liked the cave scene where the charge of rape of Adela originated. The movie is based on the classic, A Passage to India by E.M. Foster. My wife said book was very good.

Last edited:
Another good movie by David Lean is Ryan's Daughter. It did very well at the box office but it wasn't one his movies. What makes this movie worth watching is cinematography and beach scenes when the integrated haunting theme music and the seduction scene.

In A Passage to India, I really liked the cave scene where the charge of rape of Adela originated. The movie is based on the classic, A Passage to India by E.M. Foster. My wife said book was very good.
natalie wood made a ton of classics...splendor in the grass, this property condemed, west side story and many more to numerous to mention

Yes it was.

The whole story summed up the provincial snobbishness of the colonial British.

It would take me too long, and I would miss too many if I attempted to make a list.
There are great theatrical ones like Ben Hur, and then great simple ones like Marty!
Bonnie and I fairly often will pick a couple movies out of a decade. Like "1950s night" etc.
I probably enjoy those nights better than watching modern movies.
It is rare to see movies of the quality of the ones that you mention. The major reason is that older movies focused a lot more on character development and conversation. The action supported the plot. Today the plot is constructed around action. The moviemakers made these movies with the general assumption that people had the time to watch longer movies and wanted to involve themselves in the story.

The second reason is cost. Ben Hur would cost a minimum of 1.7 billion dollars to make today. Netflix will pay only about 2 million for the rights to a movie. Due to the way streaming works, it is far more profitable today to make a dozen movies overseas with actors you never heard of than 1 movie in the US with top talent.

If you have seen Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest, you probably remember the cornfield scene with Cary Grant being chased by an airplane. That 10 minute scene was actually 133 shoots from 12 different locations. A month of planning went into the scene and it took `14 days to shoot. Could this be done with CGI today? Probably but I don't think it would be as good.

Last edited:
natalie wood made a ton of classics...splendor in the grass, this property condemed, west side story and many more to numerous to mention
I think she is underrated as an actress. I believe Splendor in Grass is her best work. Although I really enjoyed the movie Gypsy.

All Quiet On The Western FRont is on tonight, I might try and watch that.
Bah, that was required reading for us.

Probably not was: "That was then, this is now".
You know, with the dude that's "like a lion?" Or maybe you don't. :dunno:

Well, the internet is not helping. Next!

Last edited:
It is rare to see movies of the quality of the ones that you mention. The major reason is that older movies focused a lot more on character development and conversation. The action supported the plot. Today the plot is constructed around action. The moviemakers made these movies with the general assumption that people had the time to watch longer movies and wanted to involve themselves in the story.

The second reason is cost. Ben Hur would cost a minimum of 1.7 billion dollars to make today. Netflix will pay only about 2 million for the rights to a movie. Due to the way streaming works, it is far more profitable today to make a dozen movies overseas with actors you never heard of than 1 movie in the US with top talent.

If you have seen Alfred Hitchcock's North by Northwest, you probably remember the cornfield scene with Cary Grant being chased by an airplane. That 10 minute scene was actually 133 shoots from 12 different locations. A month of planning went into the scene and it took `14 days to shoot. Could this be done with CGI today? Probably but I don't think it would be as good.

I watched James Gray, the director, discuss this very topic in an interview about his film *AD Astra*.

He said he shot many scenes like they used to, with props and models etc, as he didn’t like using the green screen. He thought the actors gave a better performance when there was something tangible to relate to.

I watched James Gray, the director, discuss this very topic in an interview about his film *AD Astra*.

He said he shot many scenes like they used to, with props and models etc, as he didn’t like using the green screen. He thought the actors gave a better performance when there was something tangible to relate to.
Exactly,Actors play off of one anther: that is, the action and performance of other actors involves them in the scene. It is almost impossible for an actor to give a great performance in a scene that does not exist.

Last edited:

Yes, I do remember that scene. North by Northwest is a great movie. The house in the forest area still exist and is open to the public.

Frauline was made in 1959- I just finished watching this movie it is a fine well-made movie in the drama category set at the end of WW2. I recommend it . I consider it a classic.

Some super duper "oldies" I love.............

Goodbye Mr. Chips
Forbidden Planet
Immitation of Life
Boys Town
the Andy Hardy movie series
The Bells of St. Marys
Double Indemnity
Who Slew Auntie Rue?
Arsenic and Old Lace
Life With Father
Midnight Lace
Julie
Calamity Jane
The Man Who Knew Too Much

If you enjoy classic pictures, you need to be aware of Fathom Events;

They are an entity(?) that sponsors classic movies, anniversary showings, etc, at local movie houses. Over the past few years I've seen quite a few classic films like Sunset Boulevard, Casablanca, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.

Some of my favorite films to experience thru Fathom were Vertigo with Jimmy Stewart and Ben-Hur, which I actually liked so much more than I thought I would. Well, to both of those actually. I ended up buying Vertigo on Vudu in fact.

My least favorite movie to watch thru Fathom? Easy, Gone with the Wind. As in, gone were the hours of my day that I'll never get back watching that dreadful movie. Ugh.

''Gone with the Wind'' does seem to have lost something over the years from its debut. Still, it has some good actors and a fine story.
If you enjoy classic pictures, you need to be aware of Fathom Events;

They are an entity(?) that sponsors classic movies, anniversary showings, etc, at local movie houses. Over the past few years I've seen quite a few classic films like Sunset Boulevard, Casablanca, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.

Some of my favorite films to experience thru Fathom were Vertigo with Jimmy Stewart and Ben-Hur, which I actually liked so much more than I thought I would. Well, to both of those actually. I ended up buying Vertigo on Vudu in fact.

My least favorite movie to watch thru Fathom? Easy, Gone with the Wind. As in, gone were the hours of my day that I'll never get back watching that dreadful movie. Ugh.

''Gone with the Wind'' does seem to have lost something over the years from its debut. Still, it has some good actors and a fine story.
Despite being a historical drama, which is suppose to hold up very well over time, they still age because many things in the movie such as hairdos, mannerisms, and cultural mores are those of the time the picture is made, not the time it was set. Also the lack of modern stars and technology date the movie. The fact that nearly everyone in movie is dead also seems to age the movie.

I'll Be Seeing You is a wonderful drama with Ginger Rogers, Joseph Cotten, and Shirley Temple. It was a hit when it was releases and has held up well over the years.

In this WWII romantic drama, Zachary Morgan (Joseph Cotten) and Mary Marshall (Ginger Rogers) meet on a train and immediately sense a mutual attraction. However, both Zach and Mary are shouldering significant secrets. He is a traumatized war vet on leave from a military hospital, and she is a convict who has been temporarily released from prison for the Christmas holiday.

Forum List

Back