Your Favorite Christmas Movie

That's a sweet movie. It was one of my mother's favorites. Thank you for the reminder - I'll have to watch it this year.
It's one of the best old Hollywood movies and its clever plot inspired two interesting remakes, the Judy Garland/Van Johnson musical In the Good Old Summertime (1949) and the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan rom-com You've Got Mail (1998).

This movie is ultimate feel good movie for Christmas or any time.

The best interpretation of Dickens' "Christmas Carol" is the 1951 British version starring Alastair Sim.
I agree and you can watch it on AMC. Of course this is just an opinion. Some people hate old movies. Some can't stand to watch anything that is not in color. Others are looking for movies with popular stars of today.

I'm just getting ready to watch the movie "Since You Went Away", a 1944 movie on YouTube about the homefront during WWII. It's the full length movie with audio fixed and it's free. I think it is one of the best movies around to watch at Christmas time yet I know many people would disagree and would never bother to watch it.

It takes all kinds

Last edited:
For actual Christmas CHRISTMAS movies, I would have to say...........

******TRADING PLACES*******
White Christmas
Tim Allens Santa Clause movies
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
Klaus
Christmas Vacation
Christmas with the Kranks
The Family Stone (LOTS of awesome people in this one)
Holiday Inn
Miracle on 34th Street (Natalie Wood)
Polar Express
A Christmas Carol (1951)
Elf (as much as I hate that guy)
Last Holiday

Thats aside from all the Rankin Bass productions........but they aren't movies.

For actual Christmas CHRISTMAS movies, I would have to say...........

******TRADING PLACES*******
White Christmas
Tim Allens Santa Clause movies
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
Klaus
Christmas Vacation
Christmas with the Kranks
The Family Stone (LOTS of awesome people in this one)
Holiday Inn
Miracle on 34th Street (Natalie Wood)
Polar Express
A Christmas Carol (1951)
Elf (as much as I hate that guy)
Last Holiday

Thats aside from all the Rankin Bass productions........but they aren't movies.
I have see all the above at least once with exception of The Family Stone and Last Holiday. They both look interesting.

A lot of Christmas movies are not the same without children watching with you. When you watch them with your kids, you sort of feed off of their excitement and vision of it.
Last night we watched The Santa Clause... it's okay.. but when I watched it in the 90s - 2000s with my kids - it was much better.
I probably won't watch it again perhaps ever. Just a goofy film.
There are movies that are only good once. You watch it again and... meh. Scrooged is like that for me also.

A lot of Christmas movies are not the same without children watching with you. When you watch them with your kids, you sort of feed off of their excitement and vision of it.
Last night we watched The Santa Clause... it's okay.. but when I watched it in the 90s - 2000s with my kids - it was much better.
I probably won't watch it again perhaps ever. Just a goofy film.
There are movies that are only good once. You watch it again and... meh. Scrooged is like that for me also.
I know what you mean about watching Christmas movies with the kids. It's always more fun to see the expression on the kids faces when the Grinch comes to Whoville or Tiny Tim does not die but has the most wonderful Christmas ever.

IMHO, there are many Christmas movies written more for adult audiences that can be enjoyed by an old Scrooge sitting alone beside the fire at Christmas as well as families with grown kids. It just depends on the movie. Last Christmas our family watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and How the Grinch Stole Christmas and it was enjoyed by all.

However, I must say watching Christmas movies or any movies where the audience is a large group is not that great if the purpose is to really enjoy the movie. For some reason when a large group gathers to watch a movie, there will always be some people that can't help making comment throughout the movie.

There are movies that are only good once.
I'm not sure about this. If they are anything like songs, your opinion of them could change at any time due to life experiences. You were talking earlier in your message about the way that a film can come across in the eyes of a kid. That right there is just it. I was a kid the first time that I saw Its A Wonderful Life for example and so of course there was a lot about the film that I didn't understand and so it only got better as I got older.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I'm not sure about this. If they are anything like songs, your opinion of them could change at any time due to life experiences. You were talking earlier in your message about the way that a film can come across in the eyes of a kid. That right there is just it. I was a kid the first time that I saw Its A Wonderful Life for example and so of course there was a lot about the film that I didn't understand and so it only got better as I got older.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I think it depends on the movie and the person. "Since You Went Away" was a Christmas movie made in 1944. It was a very sentimental movie about the Homefront during WWII. I was a young kid in the 1940's. Lost of family members during the war and sacrifices people at home made did not mean much to me then but as I got older that movie became important to me because it brought back memories of those times and the sacrifices people made. The same is true of the little known Christmas romantic comedy, Holiday Affair. It brought back some great memories.

Whether a movie is only good once depends on the person and the movie. I think the movies Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, Star Wars, and Batman were all great movies but for me once was enough. However some movies such as My Fair Lady, Casablanca, The Third Man, and It's a Wonderful Life, always seem fresh and new to me.

A Christmas Carol- 1951 Version with Alastair Sim
I like that one, too. My fav is the old, 1938 version with Reginald Owen. June Lockhart is one of the kids and Bob Cratchit and his wife are her actual parents.

1639976019190.png

I agree and you can watch it on AMC. Of course this is just an opinion. Some people hate old movies. Some can't stand to watch anything that is not in color. Others are looking for movies with popular stars of today.

I'm just getting ready to watch the movie "Since You Went Away", a 1944 movie on YouTube about the homefront during WWII. It's the full length movie with audio fixed and it's free. I think it is one of the best movies around to watch at Christmas time yet I know many people would disagree and would never bother to watch it.

It takes all kinds
The post is about "old movies". "Since you went away" is B&W and a war propaganda movie rather than a traditional Christmas fare.

The post is about "old movies". "Since you went away" is B&W and a war propaganda movie rather than a traditional Christmas fare.
In 1943 and 1944 most movies were propaganda as were many radio shows. If comedies, musicals, romantic fantasies and films with only tangential Yuletide elements can qualify as Christmas movies, then I'm sure "Since You Went Away" qualifies.

I liked the movie for several reason. The acting was good as were as the script and music plus I had some personal ties to the movie. Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, and Monty Woolley were particularly good, each being nominated for an Oscar. However, i thought the movie was a bet too sentimental, and the run time, 2hrs and 52mins was a bit long. I would still recommend the film as a good Christmas movie. Although there's only a couple Christmas scenes, it's a heartwarming story about the family and the Homefront, sometimes funny and sometime heartbreaking. It typifies the Christmas spirit of giving and sacrifice.
Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 83% rating.

In 1943 and 1944 most movies were propaganda as were many radio shows. If comedies, musicals, romantic fantasies and films with only tangential Yuletide elements can qualify as Christmas movies, then I'm sure "Since You Went Away" qualifies.

I liked the movie for several reason. The acting was good as were as the script and music plus I had some personal ties to the movie. Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, and Monty Woolley were particularly good, each being nominated for an Oscar. However, i thought the movie was a bet too sentimental, and the run time, 2hrs and 52mins was a bit long. I would still recommend the film as a good Christmas movie. Although there's only a couple of Christmas scenes, it's a heartwarming story about the family and the Homefront, sometimes funny and sometime heartbreaking. It typifies the Christmas spirit of giving and sacrifice.
Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 83% rating.

a christmas carol with george C scott as scrooge

christmas vacation

a christmas story

how the grinch stole christmas

a charly brown christmas

it's a wondeful life

in that order.

a christmas carol with george C scott as scrooge

christmas vacation

a christmas story

how the grinch stole christmas

a charly brown christmas

it's a wondeful life

in that order.
It wouldn't be Christmas without the Grinch, Clarence the angel without his wings, and Ralphie who will shot his eye out if he get's a Red Ryder BB gun.

Forum List

Back