Your Favorite Christmas Movie

The Nativity Story
It's a Wonderful Life
Rear Window LoL
I'm going to try Die Hard this year
Lethal Weapon
Amal and the Night Visitors which i haven't seen since i was a kid.

"A Christmas Carol" 1951

1639019188414.png

And although it's not strictly known as a Christmas movie, we always watched "The Bells Of St. Mary's" at Christmas.

1639019350779.png

It's that time of year again, time for Christmas movies. Maybe you're looking for movies for Christmas with the kids, a date, or an action adventure for the family. There are plenty to choose from, thousands in fact. See link below Rotten Tomatoes 65 Very Best Christmas Movies is a pretty good list but there are a few I think belong somewhere on that list if they aren't there.

Movies I like at Christmas are ones I call feel good movies; that is they put a smile on your face after watching. Here are several that I think qualify.
The Bishops Wife is definitely a feel good movie with Cary Grant as an Angel is sent to earth to help a minister played by David Niven who is more interested in building a great cathedral than in his loving wife and the true meaning of Christmas.

A Holiday Affair, a low budget movie starring Robert Mitcham and Janet Leigh. It's a romantic comedy about a comparison shopper (something that no longer exist), a dept. store salesmen, a lawyer, a little boy who wants a train for Christmas, a lonely squirrel, a thief, and a little girl with a whirligig on her head. It all comes together in a delightful little Christmas movie.

Love Actually, a heart warming romantic comedy that's set during Christmas. The cast includes Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thomson, Keira Knightley, Alan Rickman, and Bill Nighy. Mostly filmed on location in London, the screenplay delves into different aspects of love as shown through ten separate stories involving a wide variety of individuals, many of whom are shown to be interlinked as the tales progress. The story begins five weeks before Christmas and is played out in a weekly countdown until the holiday, followed by an epilogue that takes place one month later. It's a different kind of movie but I say it's a funny feel good comedy but maybe not for ever one. It also has great soundtrack.

Come to the Stable is a 1949 movie telling the true story of two French nuns who come to a small New England town and involve the townsfolk in helping them to build a children's hospital. It stars Loretta Young, Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe, Elsa Lanchester, Thomas Gomez. Another feel good movie which was nominated for 8 Academy Awards.

How about your favorite Christmas movie?
Gremlins. Guilty favorite. Still giggle at the bar scene. Mostly because it reminded us how we used to act at the time. :)

My 5 favorites are:
I never fail to watch these films every year.
  1. Home Alone
  2. Home Alone 2: Lost In New York
  3. The Santa Clause 2
  4. A Christmas Story
  5. Elf
Honorable mention:
  • White Christmas
  • A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
  • How The Grinch Stole Christmas: Original Cartoon Version 1966
  • Charlie Brown Christmas
  • Jingle All The Way
  • Disney's Christmas Carol
  • Shazam
  • Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone
  • Home Alone 3
  • Gremlins
  • Holiday Inn
  • The Christmas Chronicles 2
  • Trading Places
  • Nutcracker: The Movie

I've seen "It's A Wonderful Life" and to be honest....I don't think it was even close to being the best.
A lot of people agreed with you when "It's a Wonderful life" previewed on Christmas 1946 to mixed reviews. It went into general release in Jan 1947 and did rather poorly at the box office.

Thangs got worst for the movie when On May 26, 1947, the Federal Bureau of Investigation issued a memo stating, "With regard to the picture 'It's a Wonderful Life', stated in substance that the film represented rather obvious attempts to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists. [n addition, [redacted] stated that, in his opinion, this picture deliberately maligned the upper class, attempting to show the people who had money were mean and despicable characters." Following the FBI letter which was release publicly, there were calls to ban the movie by anti-communistic groups. By end of 1947, the movie had lost over half million dollars and Liberty Pictures had written it off as a loss with no plan to re-release it.

The year following, Liberty Pictures folded and many of the master were lost. The remaining films went to Paramount and were shelved. Wonder Life had a rebirth in the 50's but the poor qualify due to determination kept it off the networks. In the 60's, Paramount got the film repaired enough so the networks could show it but it failed to get much interest and Paramount dropped it. During the major studio crisis of the 50's and 60's, many major films were not re-copywritered as required by the law so the copywrite for Wonderful life was lost.

In 1974 the move went into public domain which made it free to the local TV stations and networks. So each Christmas season viewer saw Wonderful Life over and over. It became a classic Christmas movie, some arguing the audiences had finally discovered it. Others say it became a classic because it was played so often.

In 1990, the film was designated as "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress. The America Film Institute rated the film number 11 out 100 best movies of all times. So today it is a classic and considered one the best Christmas movies ever made by many people.

Last edited:
The Nativity Story
It's a Wonderful Life
Rear Window LoL
I'm going to try Die Hard this year
Lethal Weapon
Amal and the Night Visitors which i haven't seen since i was a kid.
Die hard is great action adventure film. The setting is the Christmas season but it's hard to call it a Christmas movie. IMHO, Christmas movies should exemplify the Christmas spirit or should be about Christmas, not just blood dripping off Santa's face as he devours the household. When I think of a good Christmas movie that is not what comes to mind.

Scrooge the musical followed closely by George C Scott version

Last edited:
A lot of people agreed with you when "It's a Wonderful life" previewed on Christmas 1946 to mixed reviews. It went into general release in Jan 1947 and did rather poorly at the box office.

Thangs got worst for the movie when On May 26, 1947, the Federal Bureau of Investigation issued a memo stating, "With regard to the picture 'It's a Wonderful Life', stated in substance that the film represented rather obvious attempts to discredit bankers by casting Lionel Barrymore as a 'scrooge-type' so that he would be the most hated man in the picture. This, according to these sources, is a common trick used by Communists. [n addition, [redacted] stated that, in his opinion, this picture deliberately maligned the upper class, attempting to show the people who had money were mean and despicable characters." Following the FBI letter which was release publicly, there were calls to ban the movie by anti-communistic groups. By end of 1947, the movie had lost over half million dollars and Liberty Pictures had written it off as a loss with no plan to re-release it.

The year following, Liberty Pictures folded and many of the master were lost. The remaining films went to Paramount and were shelved. Wonder Life had a rebirth in the 50's but the poor qualify due to determination kept it off the networks. In the 60's, Paramount got the film repaired enough so the networks could show it but it failed to get much interest and Paramount dropped it. During the major studio crisis of the 50's and 60's, many major films were not re-copywritered as required by the law so the copywrite for Wonderful life was lost.

In 1974 the move went into public domain which made it free to the local TV stations and networks. So each Christmas season viewer saw Wonderful Life over and over. It became a classic Christmas movie, some arguing the audiences had finally discovered it. Others say it became a classic because it was played so often.

In 1990, the film was designated as "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and added to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress. The America Film Institute rated the film number 11 out 100 best movies of all times. So today it is a classic and considered one the best Christmas movies ever made by many people.
I don't agree. I think A Christmas Carol was better.

I think we can't look forward to many good Christmas pictures in the future because the people making them hate Christians......so I expect them to shit all over them.

It's a Wonderful Life
The Young Messiah
Charlie Brown's Christmas (ok, movie short)
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (original animated version)

It's cool that this post got a high view rating (135 at time of my click) compared to other, more cynical posts in this time frame. Maybe there is hope for humanity after all.

It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol with George C Scott
The Preachers Wife with Whitney Houston (remake of The Bishops Wife??)

Animated...

Charlie Browns Christmas
Rudolph

I don't agree. I think A Christmas Carol was better.

I think we can't look forward to many good Christmas pictures in the future because the people making them hate Christians......so I expect them to shit all over them.
Almost all movies made about Christianity today are made by the Christianity film industry. You are wrong when you say the major studios are failing to make Christmas movies about Christianity because they hate Christians. The major studios avoid this type of movie because it is far more profitable to make movies that satisfy both national and international audiences, Christians, Jews, Muslims, and those with no religion. In Hollywood it is all about money. The money for all major productions come from multinational corporations such as Sony, Disney, News Corp, GE, Viacom, and about a dozen multination outside the US. These organizations are only interested in one thing and that's return on their investment. They will invest in any type of movie that meets their profit goals. If Christmas movies featuring the life of Jesus made the kind of profits they wanted, Jesus would be featured on every Christmas movie.

It's a Wonderful Life
A Christmas Carol with George C Scott
The Preachers Wife with Whitney Houston (remake of The Bishops Wife??)

Animated...

Charlie Browns Christmas
Rudolph
George C. Scott was excellent in that version of The Christmas Carol, an excellent adaption.
However I think the very best of 21 adaptions of The Christmas Carol goes to the 1951 production with Alastair Sim. It's dramatic, funny, and inspiring. It can be hard to find but if you have the chance watch it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Almost all movies made about Christianity today are made by the Christianity film industry. You are wrong when you say the major studios are failing to make Christmas movies about Christianity because they hate Christians. The major studios avoid this type of movie because it is far more profitable to make movies that satisfy both national and international audiences, Christians, Jews, Muslims, and those with no religion. In Hollywood it is all about money. The money for all major productions come from multinational corporations such as Sony, Disney, News Corp, GE, Viacom, and about a dozen multination outside the US. These organizations are only interested in one thing and that's return on their investment. They will invest in any type of movie that meets their profit goals. If Christmas movies featuring the life of Jesus made the kind of profits they wanted, Jesus would be featured on every Christmas movie.
That's a bit strange.
Movies that have depressing plots tend to have depressed box-office success.
If you can make a movie that is uplifting you're probably going to get alot of cash because people will pay to see it.
And when it comes to international viewers.....Christmas isn't an America holiday....but a world-wide holiday...that is celebrated in any nation that has Christianity as a primary religion, including Europe, Mexico, Canada, and South America. Most Muslim countries aren't big movie goers, they don't have the need to see a movie in a theater anyway (terrorist bombings)....so films are catered to the viewing audience, which is mostly Christian based. Communist countries are even worse. Most of the Chinese movie audience was in Hong Kong....which has now been forced into communism....which has eliminated China as a market almost completely.
Films should appeal to the paying public.
And there is where Hollywood, or the movie making industry goes wrong.
They are either tone deaf or cannot relate to the viewing public anymore because of their politics.
Pretty soon almost nobody will go to the movies because of the lousy films Hollywood has to offer, and the threat of either being a victim of a mass-shooting or COVID infection.

Forum List

Back