Your Dream Car...

You know what? I still think there is a conspiracy and that they CAN make a car that is pretty much free of breakdowns, but they CHOOSE not to because it would put people and car companies out of business or at least cut down on their profit margin a lot. Imagine if you had a car that lasted for 50 years?

Did you know that is exactly what happened with the original light bulb. Originally, light bulbs lasted a really LONG time, but it was hurting businesses, so the business owners got together and made it so that light bulbs had to replaced every 1000 hours or so. One such original light bulb is STILL burning bright after 150 years! :ack-1:

The lightbulbs of antiquity ranged from 10 to 40 watts.
The particular bulb you mentioned, with the astounding lifespan, was a prototype, and was intentionally designed for low lumen output, and for the last 40 years it has been running on an even LOWER voltage to protect the filament and to promote more lifespan.

Once they started ramping up the output of a consumer incandescent light bulb above 75 watts, there was going to be a tradeoff of some kind. A 100 watt light bulb running on 110-120 volt AC house current consumes almost one ampere of current.

In terms of physical energy, that's almost one tenth of a horsepower.

But yes, it IS true that modern cheap consumer incandescent bulbs have a bit of planned obsolescence built into them but if you want longer life, you should purchase what's commonly known as "Rough Service" bulbs. The color temp is generally a little warmer because it is designed to run between 130 and 140 volts even though it's connected to 110-120 volts.
That is one way they get the longer service life.

All of this is in reference to incandescent bulbs.
Rough Service bulbs throw a harsh, high-glare industrial light...and run VERY hot.

You know what? I still think there is a conspiracy and that they CAN make a car that is pretty much free of breakdowns, but they CHOOSE not to because it would put people and car companies out of business or at least cut down on their profit margin a lot. Imagine if you had a car that lasted for 50 years?

Did you know that is exactly what happened with the original light bulb. Originally, light bulbs lasted a really LONG time, but it was hurting businesses, so the business owners got together and made it so that light bulbs had to replaced every 1000 hours or so. One such original light bulb is STILL burning bright after 150 years! :ack-1:
/——/ They make cars that last 50 years. I see them at car shows all the time and I’m not talking about restored cars. They are survivors. It’s called maintenance. But most Americans ignore their cars and drive them into the ground. Like airplanes built during WWII that are still flying, your car will last a lifetime if you maintain it. When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Flushed out the power steering and brake fluid? Antifreeze?

Cars they make nowadays will rot out long before 50 years go by. They are DESIGNED to break down after so many years so that you will invest in a new one.
/----/ The only reason they will rot out is because of poor maintenance. If you live near the ocean or in the snow belt where they use salt to melt road ice and snow you need to take your car through a car wash regularly to clean out the salt buildup.
Explain, in detail, exactly how washing a car without it freezing into an iceberg when it is 15 degrees outside works.

Growing up it was a Cutlass Supreme. Now; 4 wheels and an engine.
This isnt a thread about a car you once liked. Its about DREAM CARS. If a rich man came to you and offered you a car for free, theres no way you would have picked a fucking Cutlass Supreme if you were also being offered a Ferrari at the same time. I swear, every time one of these threads comes up, theres always some guy who says "a 1979 Volkswagen Bug", or some stupid shit like that. :laugh:
I'd much rather have a Cutlass than a Ferarri. At least I could expect the Olds to start every day!

Make it a Collonade-body Supreme, with one of Joe Mondello's rip-roaring 455s and a T56 6-speed.

OMG! NOOOOoooooo! Everyones dream cars suck around here! :laugh:

Just busting balls, but seriously, your "dream car" is going to break down in less than 10,000 miles. That would be a terrible car for driving around in.

No offense taken, but your "dream car" doesn't have to be your daily driver. It can be just an occasional driver.

I'd take a 1959 BMW 507 also.
I figure if you have a magical genie who is going to give you a dream car, you would pick something you can drive often without fear of it breaking down. Old cars just arent practical.
My wife and I drive old cars all the time. My usual ride is 40 years old.

/——/ They make cars that last 50 years. I see them at car shows all the time and I’m not talking about restored cars. They are survivors. It’s called maintenance. But most Americans ignore their cars and drive them into the ground. Like airplanes built during WWII that are still flying, your car will last a lifetime if you maintain it. When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Flushed out the power steering and brake fluid? Antifreeze?

Cars they make nowadays will rot out long before 50 years go by. They are DESIGNED to break down after so many years so that you will invest in a new one.
/----/ The only reason they will rot out is because of poor maintenance. If you live near the ocean or in the snow belt where they use salt to melt road ice and snow you need to take your car through a car wash regularly to clean out the salt buildup.
Explain, in detail, exactly how washing a car without it freezing into an iceberg when it is 15 degrees outside works.
/——/ We have drive through car washes in NY. Their busiest times are the coldest months.

This isnt a thread about a car you once liked. Its about DREAM CARS. If a rich man came to you and offered you a car for free, theres no way you would have picked a fucking Cutlass Supreme if you were also being offered a Ferrari at the same time. I swear, every time one of these threads comes up, theres always some guy who says "a 1979 Volkswagen Bug", or some stupid shit like that. :laugh:
I'd much rather have a Cutlass than a Ferarri. At least I could expect the Olds to start every day!

Make it a Collonade-body Supreme, with one of Joe Mondello's rip-roaring 455s and a T56 6-speed.
That Ferrari will last a lot longer than a cutlass.

https://jalopnik.com/you-can-own-a-ferrari-458-with-more-miles-than-your-com-1706311046

https://jalopnik.com/you-can-own-a-ferrari-458-with-more-miles-than-your-com-1706311046
/----/ The tune up service on the Ferrari cost more than the Cutlass is worth.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-it-cost-me-to-own-a-ferrari-for-a-year-1669923931
..in the last twelve months, I spent a total of $4,629.81 on repairs and maintenance.

/----/ The tune up service on the Ferrari cost more than the Cutlass is worth.
https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-it-cost-me-to-own-a-ferrari-for-a-year-1669923931
..in the last twelve months, I spent a total of $4,629.81 on repairs and maintenance.
If we are going to factor in maintenance costs into this dream car concept, then you're better off going with a Dodge Demon. Maintenance isn't going to be crazy expensive on it and it will last for a long long time

Relax

My Grandpa’s green Jaguar restored to new condition. Saddest day of my life was when I had to let it go.

I see a lot more cutlasses on the road than ferraris.

So there.

I see a lot more cutlasses on the road than ferraris.

So there.
Thats my point. Why not pick something rare and expensive?

Because I don't want something that needs a $10,000 tuneup, or a $5000 brake job, or a $30,000 clutch job.

Honestly...I'd be quite happy with this:
04-1.jpg

Wait, why is that Valiant dusting a Porsche?

05-1.jpg

550 horsepower? Yeah, that'll do it.

160+MPH, corners at 1G, high 11's in the quarter mile (through the mufflers, on street tires, with 2.94 axle gears), reliable enough to drive 3000 miles in a week...and most of it came straight from the Chrysler parts book, down to the wheel bearing grease!

And yes: the plate really is "NUKE GM".

This one has Hurst hatch T-Tops...first made available on the 1976 T/A Special Edition
752bfb4e7a22162407636b1286ba4f53.jpg
for the Pontiac 50th Anniversary. Eventually it was a dealer-installed option, and could be installed on 1971-1978 F-body (Firebirdb & Camaro)...Why 1970 models didn't make the cut...I don't know...since they're essentially the same...

Personally...I didn't like the wrap around rear window that came out on all F-bodies in 1975...although the wide B-pillars made seeing while backing up very difficult...

Because I don't want something that needs a $10,000 tuneup, or a $5000 brake job, or a $30,000 clutch job.

Honestly...I'd be quite happy with this:
04-1.jpg

Wait, why is that Valiant dusting a Porsche?

05-1.jpg

550 horsepower? Yeah, that'll do it.

160+MPH, corners at 1G, high 11's in the quarter mile (through the mufflers, on street tires, with 2.94 axle gears), reliable enough to drive 3000 miles in a week...and most of it came straight from the Chrysler parts book, down to the wheel bearing grease!

And yes: the plate really is "NUKE GM".
Id much rather have this Demon convertible.

ca8319fc668c87e04c1f174cb1f63599.jpg

Forum List

Back