Your Dream Car...

A class B motorhome, like this:

Revel Overview | Winnebago RVs

rv-f2b-18.jpg

1r9a4870.jpg

A very far cry from my '71 Chevy Van which went on a dozen Surf'n Safaris up and down the West Coast, camping in Yosemite, Yellowstone, and on Vancouver Island, and Deception Pass in Washington St.

Deception Pass Bridge - Wikipedia
John Mayer has the right idea here.

John-Mayer-earth-roamer-xv-lt-03.jpg

Most fun of all the vehicles I've owned...

2002 Dodge Dakota 4-door with the small V8, 4-wheel drive. Perfect for where I lived at the time and how I used a vehicle. Saw it a couple of months ago - people I sold it to still using it and have kept it up. Rarity for where the live - most there just run vehicles into the ground.

Yes, all the markings were intentionally removed.
mostfuntruck.jpg

If I had the money to waste...
The new 840hp Dodge Demon SRT...
View attachment 162737
90K a bit out of my affordability.

I actually drive my dream ride. Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi with tow package and full 4X4 capability.
Tows my toys and love the ride and power.
Mmm, Dodge Demon. Finally someone with some taste in this thread. Fastest factory quarter mile car on earth!
Love the SRT line. My son has a souped up Neon that he runs at the track. I believe he has the 4 cylinder tuned to 360hp.
Seen a few Grand Cherokee SRT's. 711 Hp. Unreal in a SUV. Cant afford that upgrade. Chassis is still based on Mercedes ML design platform.
My current ride...
20180316_172757.jpg
Damn thing is awesome in the snow. Glad I got the Hemi. My old 96 lasted forever. I expect the same of this one.

One tip for anyone with a SUV or extended cab pickup of any type. Dont run them cheap Cooper tires unless you like road noise howling like a werewolf.
Spent on some good tires and complete silence.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4-door with the small V8, 4-wheel drive. Perfect for where I lived at the time and how I used a vehicle. Saw it a couple of months ago - people I sold it to still using it and have kept it up. Rarity for where the live - most there just run vehicles into the ground.

View attachment 185062
I think cars often times look even better when they are stripped of their markings.

If I had the money to waste...
The new 840hp Dodge Demon SRT...
View attachment 162737
90K a bit out of my affordability.

I actually drive my dream ride. Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi with tow package and full 4X4 capability.
Tows my toys and love the ride and power.
Mmm, Dodge Demon. Finally someone with some taste in this thread. Fastest factory quarter mile car on earth!
Love the SRT line. My son has a souped up Neon that he runs at the track. I believe he has the 4 cylinder tuned to 360hp.
Seen a few Grand Cherokee SRT's. 711 Hp. Unreal in a SUV. Cant afford that upgrade. Chassis is still based on Mercedes ML design platform.
My current ride...
View attachment 185058
Damn thing is awesome in the snow. Glad I got the Hemi. My old 96 lasted forever. I expect the same of this one.

One tip for anyone with a SUV or extended cab pickup of any type. Dont run them cheap Cooper tires unless you like road noise howling like a werewolf.
Spent on some good tires and complete silence.
Thats a sweet ride! I owned a new Jeep Wrangler back in the day. What a fun car to ride around in.

View attachment 185062
I havent seen many trucks in this thread. Im surprised no one mentioned the Velociraptor yet.

VelociRaptor-600-Hennessey-Stage-2-1-crop.jpg

...or if you really want to go balls out, the "Hennessy 6x6 Velociraptor" is the way to go.

6X6-Hennessey-Velociraptor-06.jpg

You know what? I still think there is a conspiracy and that they CAN make a car that is pretty much free of breakdowns, but they CHOOSE not to because it would put people and car companies out of business or at least cut down on their profit margin a lot. Imagine if you had a car that lasted for 50 years?

Did you know that is exactly what happened with the original light bulb. Originally, light bulbs lasted a really LONG time, but it was hurting businesses, so the business owners got together and made it so that light bulbs had to replaced every 1000 hours or so. One such original light bulb is STILL burning bright after 150 years! :ack-1:

The lightbulbs of antiquity ranged from 10 to 40 watts.
The particular bulb you mentioned, with the astounding lifespan, was a prototype, and was intentionally designed for low lumen output, and for the last 40 years it has been running on an even LOWER voltage to protect the filament and to promote more lifespan.

Once they started ramping up the output of a consumer incandescent light bulb above 75 watts, there was going to be a tradeoff of some kind. A 100 watt light bulb running on 110-120 volt AC house current consumes almost one ampere of current.

In terms of physical energy, that's almost one tenth of a horsepower.

But yes, it IS true that modern cheap consumer incandescent bulbs have a bit of planned obsolescence built into them but if you want longer life, you should purchase what's commonly known as "Rough Service" bulbs. The color temp is generally a little warmer because it is designed to run between 130 and 140 volts even though it's connected to 110-120 volts.
That is one way they get the longer service life.

All of this is in reference to incandescent bulbs.

The lightbulbs of antiquity ranged from 10 to 40 watts.

The particular bulb you mentioned, with the astounding lifespan, was a prototype, and was intentionally designed for low lumen output, and for the last 40 years it has been running on an even LOWER voltage to protect the filament and to promote more lifespan.

[...]
I have dimmer switches on every light switch or lamp bulb in my home. Each switch cost an average of $12, which adds up to over $200 for all those switches -- but I very rarely, almost never, need to replace the incandescent bulbs I like so much but which are becoming more and more expensive.

Where I need about 40 or 60 watts illumination I use a 100 watt bulb dimmed down to exactly the lighting level I want. This reduces the voltage flowing across the filament and the bulbs never burn out. I haven't bought light bulbs in years.

You know what? I still think there is a conspiracy and that they CAN make a car that is pretty much free of breakdowns, but they CHOOSE not to because it would put people and car companies out of business or at least cut down on their profit margin a lot. Imagine if you had a car that lasted for 50 years?

Did you know that is exactly what happened with the original light bulb. Originally, light bulbs lasted a really LONG time, but it was hurting businesses, so the business owners got together and made it so that light bulbs had to replaced every 1000 hours or so. One such original light bulb is STILL burning bright after 150 years! :ack-1:
/——/ They make cars that last 50 years. I see them at car shows all the time and I’m not talking about restored cars. They are survivors. It’s called maintenance. But most Americans ignore their cars and drive them into the ground. Like airplanes built during WWII that are still flying, your car will last a lifetime if you maintain it. When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Flushed out the power steering and brake fluid? Antifreeze?

/——/ They make cars that last 50 years. I see them at car shows all the time and I’m not talking about restored cars. They are survivors. It’s called maintenance. But most Americans ignore their cars and drive them into the ground. Like airplanes built during WWII that are still flying, your car will last a lifetime if you maintain it. When is the last time you changed your transmission fluid? Flushed out the power steering and brake fluid? Antifreeze?

Cars they make nowadays will rot out long before 50 years go by. They are DESIGNED to break down after so many years so that you will invest in a new one.

I take very good care of my car. It is on a regular maintenance schedule because I just finished paying it off last year and I want it to last because I don't want to get into yet MORE car payments.

Ever ask yourself why your car starts to break down right after your warranty expires? It's because they don't WANT you to drive the same car for 50 years. Then they won't make any $$ off of you. Same with the mechanics. That is why we will always have POS cars. Having an "unbreakable" car would put too many people out of business.

Where I need about 40 or 60 watts illumination I use a 100 watt bulb dimmed down to exactly the lighting level I want. This reduces the voltage flowing across the filament and the bulbs never burn out. I haven't bought light bulbs in years.

Why not just use dimmable LED's?
Get the daylight color temp (5000K) type, then use a 2700K color gel (aka CTO) to warm it to something more akin to incandescent.
You'll get the warm look you want, you'll be able to dim it, it will last for a decade or more and the electric costs will be trimmed to a fraction.

What’s the difference between using CTO gels and CTB gels? - Profoto

Cars they make nowadays will rot out long before 50 years go by. They are DESIGNED to break down after so many years so that you will invest in a new one.

Sorry, but that is utter nonsense.
Modern engines, for example, will now last twice as long as their older ancestors. There are cheap brands that aren't made well but a typical MoPar V6, for example, might rack up 500 thousand miles or more with proper maintenance.

Americans don't want cars that last 50 years, they want a new car every three years because they're obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses but US cars can last eons if cared for.
Ever wonder why cab companies relied on Ford Crown Vics?
I keep hearing the same nonsense year in and year out.

This old girl is still running after 287 thousand miles.
It has NEVER had any major repairs done whatsoever.
The only reason it's being retired is because wifey wants something more luxurious and pretty.

FjxNnfCVEoO5lH1GcmObvbO1Mt_52kute-DnaJv1Pta7gtsJcmVDFY2nN_Psfy0clV5hPQiMCr9L5KPknPl0gMZ90bpH3RyH9DbUS2DKjh25RO5hzevgKzI3_35jJ0lcffzBCZsqG-g7JCP3qoRJeP7Tw8A4ABm1nSqdPZam4JEobcZMCfWjxByOUWIxMzqeK9PWGP9K-rpMOAIkFm2dgHKwIEwcmfv1m5hErk3ixXrrNSkRBCSRrZgs1UCj08i9jKRINoaQcnE_ngsLx_Q5Ck_lWUXmCc3M6miETXPaPmhm0OH-c6RHjQcKRWQWs4vpYfxDpuvAbyCRWGeeH6sU-cr_dqFcWFSyiF5Sn8PCxEL65sWH2dPqiJ3ULQOHtouq8Fat1xOH6_YAj1BoSbi4GVB8hMuT9mndNNPpaDT4IOmUc2ur79qOdu8G6rOt_WNkszxFEh5cI0UvaOp9y4_eN93YkWjofx1qPLH9t3xQOghou4Fng-PEz1KMiCy7MKP8J71QLhjaaRDBdsYNbIRkQ5SY4OAk1XAmOJmJMaeGGfGvOtyOEqZnI5U8jbqtHtV0A-d8BVDrc22pg9jbf_UdWFFQ2pZVDE040sJbm77O=w1904-h1071-no

Get the daylight color temp (5000K) type, then use a 2700K color gel (aka CTO) to warm it to something more akin to incandescent.
You'll get the warm look you want, you'll be able to dim it, it will last for a decade or more and the electric costs will be trimmed to a fraction.

Many thanks for the advice but I'm completely baffled by it. I don't know what CTO gels are, or DTB gels, "daylight color temp 5000k type, or 2700 color, or where to buy all that stuff. And does it actually replicate the same effect as ordinary incandescent light bulbs? Because I can't stand the LED bulbs I've tried.

Sorry, but that is utter nonsense.
Modern engines, for example, will now last twice as long as their older ancestors. There are cheap brands that aren't made well but a typical MoPar V6, for example, might rack up 500 thousand miles or more with proper maintenance.

Americans don't want cars that last 50 years, they want a new car every three years because they're obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses but US cars can last eons if cared for.
Ever wonder why cab companies relied on Ford Crown Vics?
I keep hearing the same nonsense year in and year out.

This old girl is still running after 287 thousand miles.
It has NEVER had any major repairs done whatsoever.
The only reason it's being retired is because wifey wants something more luxurious and pretty.

FjxNnfCVEoO5lH1GcmObvbO1Mt_52kute-DnaJv1Pta7gtsJcmVDFY2nN_Psfy0clV5hPQiMCr9L5KPknPl0gMZ90bpH3RyH9DbUS2DKjh25RO5hzevgKzI3_35jJ0lcffzBCZsqG-g7JCP3qoRJeP7Tw8A4ABm1nSqdPZam4JEobcZMCfWjxByOUWIxMzqeK9PWGP9K-rpMOAIkFm2dgHKwIEwcmfv1m5hErk3ixXrrNSkRBCSRrZgs1UCj08i9jKRINoaQcnE_ngsLx_Q5Ck_lWUXmCc3M6miETXPaPmhm0OH-c6RHjQcKRWQWs4vpYfxDpuvAbyCRWGeeH6sU-cr_dqFcWFSyiF5Sn8PCxEL65sWH2dPqiJ3ULQOHtouq8Fat1xOH6_YAj1BoSbi4GVB8hMuT9mndNNPpaDT4IOmUc2ur79qOdu8G6rOt_WNkszxFEh5cI0UvaOp9y4_eN93YkWjofx1qPLH9t3xQOghou4Fng-PEz1KMiCy7MKP8J71QLhjaaRDBdsYNbIRkQ5SY4OAk1XAmOJmJMaeGGfGvOtyOEqZnI5U8jbqtHtV0A-d8BVDrc22pg9jbf_UdWFFQ2pZVDE040sJbm77O=w1904-h1071-no

Well, I hope you are right. I don't want to have to pay more car payments if I don't have to. As long as my car doesn't look like crap and gets me to where I want to go and has working heat and radio, I am good with that.

Many thanks for the advice but I'm completely baffled by it. I don't know what CTO gels are, or DTB gels, "daylight color temp 5000k type, or 2700 color, or where to buy all that stuff. And does it actually replicate the same effect as ordinary incandescent light bulbs? Because I can't stand the LED bulbs I've tried.

That's why I posted the link. Just click the mofo and read all about it.
LED's come in all shapes, sizes, color quality and quality levels.
They cost more than regular bulbs and you get you pay for but they last forever, or almost.
And they cut your energy bill WAY DOWN.
If you make the investment, you're done...for almost five, seven or even ten years.
And yes, a proper LED will give you the kind of light you want.
I'm semi-retired now but I have shot film and video professionally for 35 years and LED is the best.

/----/ The only reason they will rot out is because of poor maintenance. If you live near the ocean or in the snow belt where they use salt to melt road ice and snow you need to take your car through a car wash regularly to clean out the salt buildup.

/----/ The only reason they will rot out is because of poor maintenance. If you live near the ocean or in the snow belt where they use salt to melt road ice and snow you need to take your car through a car wash regularly to clean out the salt buildup.

It doesn't matter. You could wash your car every day. That salt and sand finds it way into every nook and crevice. You would have to be VERY diligent, and not everyone has that kind of time. I have a tiny little rust spot on my driver's side door on the INSIDE on the bottom part where it is metal. My tail pipes really need to be replaced too. Those are starting to rust out.

I noticed that right after my warranty expired, things started going wrong with the car. Not the first time I've noticed that either, of course. I'm like, oh great, my warranty expired 6 months ago and NOW something is going to happen to the stupid car?

Oh, now I think I get it...some people imagine that cars of the past were maintenance free and that today's cars should be.
I have bad news.

NO CARS have EVER been maintenance free. There's no such thing.
There's cars which are driven into the ground by people who never do any maintenance, then they bitch and moan about how lousy the cars are, and they get another one.
In the old days we called these people "Chevy Impala/Nova owners" but today we call them "Honda Accord owners". The story, and the behavior of these types of people is the same however.

Forum List

Back