You Were Warned...Pat. Act

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Peaking out from the redwoods
Civil libertarians and liberals have been railing against the Patriot Act since its inception. You were told that you like it under a Republican but would hate it under a Democrat, but you didn't listen.

One Senator told you back then EXACTLY what would happen under these new laws...

Watch The One Senator Who Voted Against The Patriot Act Warn What Would Happen

One provision that troubles me a great deal is a provision that permits the government under FISA to compel the production of records from any business regarding any person, if that information is sought in connection with an investigation of terrorism or espionage.

Now we're not talking here about travel records pertaining to a terrorist suspect, which we all can see can be highly relevant to an investigation of a terrorist plot. FISA already gives the FBI the power to get airline, train, hotel, car rental and other records of a suspect.

But under this bill, the government can compel the disclosure of the personal records of anyone -- perhaps someone who worked with, or lived next door to, or went to school with, or sat on an airplane with, or has been seen in the company of, or whose phone number was called by -- the target of the investigation.

And under this new provisions all business records can be compelled, including those containing sensitive personal information like medical records from hospitals or doctors, or educational records, or records of what books someone has taken out of the library. This is an enormous expansion of authority, under a law that provides only minimal judicial supervision.​

You were warned...

Last edited:
my understanding is this is being gathered under FISA, just expanded recently.

The data gathering being done by Obama's administration is beyond that which is allowed by the patriot act.

BTW, wytchey, this is not a partisan issue.

They were to worried at first about not having a 30 round magazine for their assault weapons. Now this and they had no idea under the gwb group how their rights were really being taken away

Civil libertarians and liberals have been railing against the Patriot Act since its inception. You were told that you like it under a Republican but would hate it under a Democrat, but you didn't listen.

One Senator told you back then EXACTLY what would happen under these new laws...

One provision that troubles me a great deal is a provision that permits the government under FISA to compel the production of records from any business regarding any person, if that information is sought in connection with an investigation of terrorism or espionage.

Now we're not talking here about travel records pertaining to a terrorist suspect, which we all can see can be highly relevant to an investigation of a terrorist plot. FISA already gives the FBI the power to get airline, train, hotel, car rental and other records of a suspect.

But under this bill, the government can compel the disclosure of the personal records of anyone -- perhaps someone who worked with, or lived next door to, or went to school with, or sat on an airplane with, or has been seen in the company of, or whose phone number was called by -- the target of the investigation.

And under this new provisions all business records can be compelled, including those containing sensitive personal information like medical records from hospitals or doctors, or educational records, or records of what books someone has taken out of the library. This is an enormous expansion of authority, under a law that provides only minimal judicial supervision.​

You were warned...

The data gathering being done by Obama's administration is beyond that which is allowed by the patriot act.

from the way the prezbo described it yesterday

similar to pen register or trap (but on a much larger scale) requires a warrant

the problem is that the government HAS the data on all of us and it could be used by a corrupt administration (of either party) to target and destroy political enemies.

The patriot act allows data collection, but only on suspected terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, and a warrant is required.

the problem is that the government HAS the data on all of us and it could be used by a corrupt administration (of either party) to target and destroy political enemies.

The patriot act allows data collection, but only on suspected terrorists or terrorist sympathizers, and a warrant is required.

yes agreed

as we have seen it happen in action

already through the IRS and EPA

No fishy, this IS the Patriot Act...and folks like Russ Feingold even told ya so.

Funny, I sure remember the partisans telling me to sit down and STFU up for my treasonous position against these far reaching provisions under George W Bush. Odd that now that the "anything to oppose Obama" folks are joining the fray it's "bipartisan". Rrrriiiiggghhhhtttt....

No fishy, this IS the Patriot Act...and folks like Russ Feingold even told ya so.

Funny, I sure remember the partisans telling me to sit down and STFU up for my treasonous position against these far reaching provisions under George W Bush. Odd that now that the "anything to oppose Obama" folks are joining the fray it's "bipartisan". Rrrriiiiggghhhhtttt....

bullshit! you are wrong. Post the language from the patriot act that you claim allows data collection on every american who uses a cell phone.

I was against then, I am against it now. I said it then and I'll say it now: Do not count on any President to relinquish any power gained by his or her predecessor. They will not give it up willingly, the will use it, abuse it, and work to expand it's scope. They will want more and that will be passed on to their successor and the ugly circle continues...

bullshit! you are wrong. Post the language from the patriot act that you claim allows data collection on every american who uses a cell phone.

Section 215 of the Patriot Act allows the government to order businesses to turn over “the production of any tangible things” if it can prove that “there are reasonable grounds to believe” that the tangible things sought are “relevant to an authorized investigation . . . to obtain foreign intelligence information. . . or to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities.”

Which is why Tribble Head, Rand Paul, is trying to introduce legislation to close this little "loophole".

Rand Paul to introduce bill closing the FISA business records loophole

Section 215 of the Patriot Act allows the government to order businesses to turn over “the production of any tangible things” if it can prove that “there are reasonable grounds to believe” that the tangible things sought are “relevant to an authorized investigation . . . to obtain foreign intelligence information. . . or to protect against international terrorism or clandestine intelligence activities.”
Which is why Tribble Head, Rand Paul, is trying to introduce legislation to close this little "loophole".

LOL, what you posted makes my point. They are not authorized by the patriot act to collect the phone records of all americans. thanks for making my point and destroying yours. :clap2:

You were warned...

Now that they've proved their point they will surely repeal it since they have the ability to do so. Oh wait--you LIKE it now that Obama's in charge ?

LOL, what you posted makes my point. They are not authorized by the patriot act to collect the phone records of all americans. thanks for making my point and destroying yours. :clap2:
Seawytch read your post, scratched her head, and said a big old 'huh? I don't understand!' These people are not rocket scientists.

And under this new provisions all business records can be compelled, including those containing sensitive personal information like medical records from hospitals or doctors, or educational records, or records of what books someone has taken out of the library. This is an enormous expansion of authority, under a law that provides only minimal judicial supervision.
You were warned...

Now that they've proved their point they will surely repeal it since they have the ability to do so. Oh wait--you LIKE it now that Obama's in charge ?

Of course they do. Any tool to punish the American people is considered a good thing by leftist garbage.

And under this new provisions all business records can be compelled, including those containing sensitive personal information like medical records from hospitals or doctors, or educational records, or records of what books someone has taken out of the library. This is an enormous expansion of authority, under a law that provides only minimal judicial supervision.
You were warned...

Of course they do. Any tool to punish the American people is considered a good thing by leftist garbage.

Barry's campaign promise to put an end to it just cracks me up. He looks so sincere. :cool:

You were warned...

so you agree that obama has basically been a hypocrite as to his use of such mechanisms?

Forum List

Back