You sign a petition to curb gay rights. Should your name be public?

How should the USSC vote, and why?

By the way, due to a public information bill in Washington State where this started, all petitions are for public viewing. Only your vote is private, which is what is stated in the constituition.
Do I think they should publish their names on a website? no, but people could have petitioned to see the information anyways.

Isn't signing a petition an open declaration of your support? Who ever signed an anonymous petition?

Not sure what purpose this petition served. If it was to get a measure on a ballot. The only purpose of that petition is to gather enough valid signatures for making the ballot. I have signed a petition so that the question can be up for a vote, even though against the measure. I have also signed petitions that were to be published in support of a cause. Most documents that a person signs these days have a privacy protection, particularly if your address or other personal information is on the document.

Isn't signing a petition an open declaration of your support? Who ever signed an anonymous petition?

Not sure what purpose this petition served. If it was to get a measure on a ballot. The only purpose of that petition is to gather enough valid signatures for making the ballot. I have signed a petition so that the question can be up for a vote, even though against the measure. I have also signed petitions that were to be published in support of a cause. Most documents that a person signs these days have a privacy protection, particularly if your address or other personal information is on the document.

I will say it again, in Washington State where this started petitions are public record.:razz:
If someone wanted to target a person for being against gay rights, they could of just asked to see the petitions. Of course going to the website would have made it easier.

no

your vote is private and a petition is a process in voting. privacy in voting is fundamental.

You're wrong.

Petitions are public records. Registering to vote is public too.
Working for a non profit because of public tax breaks, makes the top worker's names and salaries...public.

I can look up when and where you vote... and what party you register with.

Signing a petition is NOT voting.

btw, some votes are public. lol

you mental midget (MM)....the OP posed a question...."should"

i gave my opinion, therefore, my opinion is not wrong, it is simply my opinion you ignorant banana peel

I will say it again, in Washington State where this started petitions are public record.:razz:
If someone wanted to target a person for being against gay rights, they could of just asked to see the petitions. Of course going to the website would have made it easier.

Every state law is just automatically right in your eyes apparently Luissa? It may have escaped your thought process, but it look like someone is challenging that law at the USSC. A right to privacy when no law has been broken seems like a liberty we should be able to enjoy.

So, Louissa answered the question. It is a matter of public record. Public records are open for anyone to view who is willing to pay the fee to view it. Case closed.

Every state law is just automatically right in your eyes apparently Luissa? It may have escaped your thought process, but it look like someone is challenging that law at the USSC. A right to privacy when no law has been broken seems like a liberty we should be able to enjoy.
I live in Washington state, and I have been hearing about this case for almost two years.

I also read the newspaper every day, so I know what the law is.:tongue:

Supporters of gay rights filed a public records request for the names of everyone who signed the petition and referendum backers objected, saying they feared the signers would be harassed.

Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed and Attorney General Rob McKenna have said the names of people who sign initiative or referendum petitions are public under the state’s Public Records Act. Federal and state judges have disagreed. Most recently, a divided panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled they are public records, but the release of the names has been put on hold pending the appeal to the nation’s highest court.
High court to decide on petition signatures - Spokesman.com - Jan. 15, 2010

If you notice the newspaper is Washington State.:eek:

If I'm going to take the time to read, and sign a petition, then I fully believe in what I'm signing. If someone finds out my name, and what I'm supporting, more power to them. What're they going to do? Tell me I'm wrong? Threaten to kick my ass?

Whatever.

what if you owned a small business....say a coffee shop.

When someone signs their name to a petition, they do so to add their weight to an issue. If they want their weight counted, they should be ok with having their name publicized. It shouldn't even be in question.

no

your vote is private and a petition is a process in voting. privacy in voting is fundamental.

That there is some reasoning that could lead to the next challenge in front of the Supremes should the reasoning work, and predicate law that says because campaign donations and lobbying is speech, and corporations are considered "people," corporate donations and lobbying should not be publicized either. I smell a rat.

What is the usual standard? I don't know. There should not be any special standard for a specific petition.

Just to add fuel to the fire here..... Since there has never been publication of names before, what is the motivation for publicizing the names now? If it is only for purposes of voter intimidation. I think the motivation is chilling and dishonest.

A petition is a public record, is it not? As a public record, anyone who wants can view it. If you don't want your name associated with a cause, it stands to reason you don't feel strongly enough to have signed you name on to it.

Just what "rights" are faggots bitching about losing this time? Or is this just another BS story?

They are not bitching this time asshole! They paid for the public records which is within their rights or anyone else, and the backers of ref 71 did not want the PUBLIC records published on a website.

I will also add with all the voter and registration fraud I agree with my state( Washington), that all petitions should be public record.

Last edited:
Fine, in the future every petition will be made public with all the signatures on it. Sound reasonable?

In Washington State any petition can already be made public. Are you for taking away state rights? If the Supreme Court rules for these people, it will take away the state"s right to determine what is a matter of public record.:eusa_eh:

If I'm going to take the time to read, and sign a petition, then I fully believe in what I'm signing. If someone finds out my name, and what I'm supporting, more power to them. What're they going to do? Tell me I'm wrong? Threaten to kick my ass?

Whatever.

what if you owned a small business....say a coffee shop.

If you own an establishment that serves the public (or more specifically offers a service for sale to), and you felt strongly enough about the issue to sign a petition limiting the rights of certain people, shouldn't they be able to know that, and avoid your establishment? Hell, feeling that way, wouldn't you want them to?

Forum List

Back