You dont have to be arrested to have your property taken away

The christian home school - high school youth - were debating civil asset forfeiture laws back in 2007 - 08', Closed Caption. Brilliantly - I might add. I was a judge for their national debates in my city and they would put some of this board to shame! Yes, it is true. You don't need to break a law - but you also have the right to a court hearing to retrieve your property - for a full year after such an incident - that is the good news - the bad news is the courts were backlogged with hearings then that numbered approx 30,000 cases? Do not know where they are at today.

In the video it shows where you can go to challenge the forfeiture BUT you dont get to tell it to any judge...You have to plead your case to the Police DA with NO JUDGE.

Which means you have the opportunity technically but really you dont

The christian home school - high school youth - were debating civil asset forfeiture laws back in 2007 - 08', Closed Caption. Brilliantly - I might add. I was a judge for their national debates in my city and they would put some of this board to shame! Yes, it is true. You don't need to break a law - but you also have the right to a court hearing to retrieve your property - for a full year after such an incident - that is the good news - the bad news is the courts were backlogged with hearings then that numbered approx 30,000 cases? Do not know where they are at today.

The problem is many people cannot afford an attorney to get it back and you still get stuck with the legal bills so you don't get everything back they took. In many instances, the amount seized isn't worth the legal costs involved to retrieve it.

This is literally highway robbery committed by our own law enforcement. It's criminal behavior.

The problem is many people cannot afford an attorney to get it back and you still get stuck with the legal bills so you don't get everything back they took. In many instances, the amount seized isn't worth the legal costs involved to retrieve it.

This is literally highway robbery committed by our own law enforcement. It's criminal behavior.

Of course I agree with you and I did give my decision for the debate team that proved it most definitely is highway robbery. Not to mention that law enforcement is given a huge incentive by the mere fact they get to profit from that seized property! It's a racket, Don't Taz Me Bro. Plain and simple. Let me give you a case that happened years ago - according to one person telling the story - a young man and his friend borrowed his grandfathers cadillac to go out one one night. They were pulled over and found with a single marijuana cigarette in the car - and both were arrested. I am not certain but I believe the marijuana belonged to the passenger - not the driver which was the grandson. They seized that cadillac under the civil asset forfeiture law and to my knowledge the story was the grandfather was left fighting it in court. I do not know what the outcome is. Nevertheless, when the people involved stand to benefit - in this case law enforcement - how is it possible to not have the law used against the law abiding citizens of the United States of America? It isn't. It is a very bad law and one that needs to be overturned. I could tell you about something else that would totally blow you away - concerning labor in our prisons and how our govt has now resolved to use this labor as a viable solution to competing with communist nations such as NK and China. Paying our own inmates $1.40 an hour and Obama's idea is to require all to get a GED or greater - anyway - the prisons will work for the US Gov who will sell here in America competing with Private businesses and export to the world. Can you believe it? You know how the Obama administration got around this? First by claiming it was already on the books in the 50's because inmates made license plates and second - by claiming that they will not make the exact - identical product - the private companies make so that they are not in direct competition- what does this mean? That you will offer Plasma televisions in color grey instead of black? Tennis shoes in off white instead of white? The loop holes are large enough to drive a mac truck through. Our country has some serious issues with corruption and it is coming from the top.

Do you see the incentive to abuse that idea? Keeping prisoners who are talented in electronics - manufacturing for the govt in prison? Indefinitely? Past their sentence? How about an incentive for more laws - arresting more people and turning the United States into the next North Korea labor work camp nation whose profits come from the own citizens forced to labor in prisons? Scary, eh?

Forum List

Back