You do not understand what I understand.

Did you mean 49.9%?

It depends on the thickness of layer called "average".

And that is subjective.

The problem I have with people who try to use statistics to justify their assertions is ... you can't be statistically accurate if your measurements are based on subjectivity.

Dude, what's wrong? I understand "subaverage people". I am one! :D
I've seen a lot of addictions, too. What is it?

Hell yeah bro, same here. I rose to my level of incompetence at least 50 years ago and I'm still plugging away.

I’ve thought about it and concluded that it’s possible that you didn’t understand that I didn’t understand that you didn’t understand.

You understand? Well DO YOU, punk?

😶

Only with the passage of time, if we can understand the passage of time.... will we realize that only time will tell about whats possible to understand.... at least this is how I understood it.

What he means is that he managed to convince some doctor to certify him too sick to work so he can stay home and take medications for life collecting disability.
Thank G-d and my parents I do not need any extra assistance. Tens of millions of people in USA do. Many fall into life of drugs and crime.

And that is subjective.

The problem I have with people who try to use statistics to justify their assertions is ... you can't be statistically accurate if your measurements are based on subjectivity.
I agree to a degree.

About 20% of all adults have documented mental or physical disability.

What resources? It better not be cash for the washy washy like danielpalos wants.
American taxpayers have a lot of greed and little compassion for tens of millions of people who do not have help they need or about 100,000 people who die from overdose each year.

You don't strike me as "sub-average" in the way you write. Are you combining mental issues that cause problems for otherwise average or above IQ people?
I have average IQ and significantly subaverage EQ -- emotional quotient. Thus I do not fit into Society.

I agree to a degree.

About 20% of all adults have documented mental or physical disability.

I come across that spurious pronouncement every time I deal with mental health experts in my professional capacity.

Since there are no actual clinic tests for mental illnesses, every diagnosis is subject to the opinion of the diagnostician. It is self serving in the extreme to inflate the pool of patients to the gain of the mental health clinicians.

But, in fact, that number is no more reliable than a dishwasher salesman making the documented claim that one in every five persons needs a new dishwasher.

I come across that spurious pronouncement every time I deal with mental health experts in my professional capacity.

Since there are no actual clinic tests for mental illnesses, every diagnosis is subject to the opinion of the diagnostician. It is self serving in the extreme to inflate the pool of patients to the gain of the mental health clinicians.
Sadly, there are tens of millions of people in USA who do not get resources they need. Out of them, about 47,000 per year commit suicide, about 100,000 a year die from overdose, and many fall hard in other ways.

Sadly, there are tens of millions of people in USA who do not get resources they need. Out of them, about 47,000 per year commit suicide, about 100,000 a year die from overdose, and many fall hard in other ways.

Despite ever increasing budgets for mental health issues and the strong social engineering to treat people with self diagnosed mental health issues as a protected class ... the number of related suicides continues to climb.

In most sciences, if clinical experience shows your course of treatment isn't working, you try a different treatment... you don't keep pouring on more of the same.

You may be a lawyer, a doctor, a businessperson, etc. I respect your hard work which made you who you are. I respect the fact that you understand many things I do not understand, particularly those related to your area of expertise.

But how can you claim to understand the experience of subaverage people better then I do? How can you claim to understand what resources I absolutely needed to maintain a normal life. Sadly, in USA alone, tens of millions of people lack these resources, and fall down into addictions.
Some people are born with talent, work ethic, creativity or other attributes that are far above what other people have. But every person has his or her own God given genius. Who is to say what is 'average' among human uniqueness and where do you draw the line on what average is? What criteria should be used?

Because of my life experiences and having to deal with with addictions and how these cause humans to ravage their health, their quality of life, their relationships, etc., I took the training to become a certified counselor. It was never my primary career but a volunteer sideline avocation but has been both wonderful/rewarding and frustrating/heartbreaking.

I have seen hopeless drug and/or alcohol addicts do the courageous but very difficult process of getting clean and sober and staying that way after many failures.

And I have had to helplessly stand by and watch people, some who I love, slowly self destruct because they refuse to get or accept help or try to scam those helping them.

But I do believe there is help for the huge majority who are able to hit a bottom and choose to rise up and get well whether it is addictions or some psychological disorders. But they have to be willing to accept that help.

The 'progressive' do gooders in the 1970's and 80's demanded that non-violent people be released from mental institutions and it is rare that a case worker or judge will choose such facilities for people who genuinely need them now. We definitely need to reverse that trend and get these unfortunate people who honestly cannot help themselves off the street.

It has become an enormous problem in the USA and I'm sure in many other countries.

You may be a lawyer, a doctor, a businessperson, etc. I respect your hard work which made you who you are. I respect the fact that you understand many things I do not understand, particularly those related to your area of expertise.

But how can you claim to understand the experience of subaverage people better then I do? How can you claim to understand what resources I absolutely needed to maintain a normal life. Sadly, in USA alone, tens of millions of people lack these resources, and fall down into addictions.

Yes, in my job I deal with really smart people and some really not smart people. Most of the people in my profession don't understand what it's like to be like this, so they just pass them off as stupid and don't even really bother. Quite sad.

Food, Shelter, Medical Care, spending money

Giving all of those things to someone requires that they (of the funds for them) be taken from a person who earned them.

I would grant all who need it mental health care. But I think most people can earn some sort of income to provide themselves with food and shelter. Even if the shelter is a group home setting. But spending money? Not sure that is anything but a luxury.

Since I don't know Man of Ethics irl, I cannot say if the above is a accurate description of reality or just a case of low self-esteem or both.

As WB said half of the population is subaverage and an even greater number of people think they are.

More than a few people who are subaverage think they are above average too.

What about being "sub average" - a pejorative term - entitles that person to benefit paid for by the presumably average and super average?

Despite ever increasing budgets for mental health issues and the strong social engineering to treat people with self diagnosed mental health issues as a protected class ... the number of related suicides continues to climb.
I would guess most American taxpayers are much more concerned with their own wealth and comfort then lives of their fellow citizens. Lives and well-being of people in Developing Nations is even lower priority to them.

Some people are born with talent, work ethic, creativity or other attributes that are far above what other people have. But every person has his or her own God given genius. Who is to say what is 'average' among human uniqueness and where do you draw the line on what average is? What criteria should be used?
Some people who have been among lower classes of societies have been geniuses. My favorite writer is Franz Kafka.

Perhaps I may be able to write something interesting. Perhaps I have some talent. Possible but unlikely.

Forum List

Back