Yesh Atid bill: Israel should be Jewish by law

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
Yesh Atid 's Ruth Calderon has submitted a bill giving the Declaration of Independence the legal status of a basic law, formally establishing Israel as a Jewish state.

The bill was proposed as part of joint efforts with the Habayit Hayehudi party on a new "nation state" bill. This is the first time the Knesset has been asked to enact into law Israel's Jewish character.

In the explanation to the bill titled "Basic Law: The Declaration of Independence," Calderon states that "in the absence of a constitution, the Declaration of Independence is a legal document which establishes very important basic principles concerning the State's identity.

For years, courts have looked to this document when deciding on various issues and that is why we are proposing to give the Declaration of Independence which represents the state's creed, the status of a basic law."

The bill aims to formally establish that the State of Israel is the state of the Jewish people. However, MK Calderon stressed that the term Jewish state does not refer the Jewish religion but to the Jewish people and culture.

Yesh Atid bill: Israel should be Jewish by law - Israel News, Ynetnews

:clap2:

Yesh Atid 's Ruth Calderon has submitted a bill giving the Declaration of Independence the legal status of a basic law, formally establishing Israel as a Jewish state.

The bill was proposed as part of joint efforts with the Habayit Hayehudi party on a new "nation state" bill. This is the first time the Knesset has been asked to enact into law Israel's Jewish character.

In the explanation to the bill titled "Basic Law: The Declaration of Independence," Calderon states that "in the absence of a constitution, the Declaration of Independence is a legal document which establishes very important basic principles concerning the State's identity.

For years, courts have looked to this document when deciding on various issues and that is why we are proposing to give the Declaration of Independence which represents the state's creed, the status of a basic law."

The bill aims to formally establish that the State of Israel is the state of the Jewish people. However, MK Calderon stressed that the term Jewish state does not refer the Jewish religion but to the Jewish people and culture.

Yesh Atid bill: Israel should be Jewish by law - Israel News, Ynetnews

:clap2:

Wonderful, and long long overdue.

wow how racist of them...maybe we should pass a law all Jews must live in the"state of Jewish people.'..

Then you'd have to make a law that all Italians must live in Italy. All Polish must live in Poland, All Germans must live in Germany, All Saudis must live in Saudi Arabia, All Iranians must live in Iran, all Afgahis must live in Afghanistan, all Russians must live in Russia, all Chinese must live in China, all Somalis must live in Somalia, all Kenyans must live in Kenya and so on down the line..........

We'll also send you back to wherever you came from too!

How's that working out for you, Sport?

-Jeri

The only thing racist going on is that every other race on earth has a nation that represents their own family roots. No one complains about that until it comes to the Israeli people. They can't have their homeland declared because SOMEONE MIGHT GET OFFENDED! They can't have their Embassy built in their capitol ( Jerusalem ) like every other nation on earth but have to build it in Tel Aviv because once again SOMEONE MIGHT GET OFFENDED!

It is more than ridiculous! It is downright disgusting and anti-semitic. Abandon the UN and it will be a step in the right direction against anti semitism. - Jeri

The only thing racist going on is that every other race on earth has a nation that represents their own family roots. No one complains about that until it comes to the Israeli people. They can't have their homeland declared because SOMEONE MIGHT GET OFFENDED! They can't have their Embassy built in their capitol ( Jerusalem ) like every other nation on earth but have to build it in Tel Aviv because once again SOMEONE MIGHT GET OFFENDED!

It is more than ridiculous! It is downright disgusting and anti-semitic. Abandon the UN and it will be a step in the right direction against anti semitism. - Jeri

I don't think it has to do with "someone might get offended" but rather, what does it mean for a nation that is, in reality, pluralistic - including many non-Jewish citizens? As far as building an embassy in "their capital" - in no other nation has their capital in contested territory. It has nothing to do with "offense".

Is it merely a declaration on paper or does it effect the lives of those who live there? Actually - Lipush, what does it actually mean for Israel? I'm curious :)

I do find it amusing however, that those who condemn other Middle East nations for choosing to be "Islamic states" have no problem with Israel choosing to be a "Jewish state".

It's the choice of the people - not outside foreign powers.

I thought Israel was a Jewish AND democratic state?

The DoI says no such thing.

They will have to add that into law.

I don't think it has to do with "someone might get offended" but rather, what does it mean for a nation that is, in reality, pluralistic - including many non-Jewish citizens? As far as building an embassy in "their capital" - in no other nation has their capital in contested territory. It has nothing to do with "offense".

Is it merely a declaration on paper or does it effect the lives of those who live there? Actually - Lipush, what does it actually mean for Israel? I'm curious :)

Honestly? I am not sure.

It sounds great on paper, MK Ruth Kalderon (Who's an amazing woman, I must say, but that's besides the point) suggested that it means that "The declaration of independence" should be based in law.

But that sounds odd, since we have already basic laws which defends those rights. And Israel is defined as a Jewish state.

Making the independence declaration a law? Ok, fine. Awesome.

But I am not sure what changes that will bring in field. It sounds more "on paper" to me, like you said

Which I guess won't be such a bad thing.

But again. Weird.

I do find it amusing however, that those who condemn other Middle East nations for choosing to be "Islamic states" have no problem with Israel choosing to be a "Jewish state".

It's the choice of the people - not outside foreign powers.

And that ALSO goes both ways: those condemning Israel for being a 'Jewish' State, do not generally condemn Iran for being 'an Islamic Republic', or KSA, or ........

America should follow Israel's steps:

1 - expel/scare 80% of its black/hispanic/asian population into fleeing to Florida,

2 - prevent their return by surrounding the entire southern state with walls, eletric fences and minefields patrolled by thousands of soldiers with orders to arrest or shoot any trespasser.

3 - and declare itself a "caucasian democratic state".

Since 90% of the posters of this Board don't seem to have any problem with calling a country that did just that in the Middle East a "jewish democratic state" they will probably have no trouble swallowing the "caucasian democratic state" bullshit hook, line and sinker too.

Can you even imagine such idiots? :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

Lipush, you mamacita cubana...

Don't play dumb with me...

You know very well the above is the abridged history of the jewish racial dictatorship.

Mamacita you can call your girlfriend.

And Israel is not a dictatorship, our leadership was VOTED for.

Stop changing and twisting the fact to suit your agenda. Its suits you very BAD!

I have no problem with Israel declaring itself legally the "Jewish State of Israel", as long as it adds to its Basic Law that it is a Jewish and Democratic state that respects the full equality and civil rights of Gentile citizens.

Forum List

Back