Yes on Prop 19 Winning 52%-36%; Majority Supports Legalizing Marijuana

I wonder how soon the debt would be gone if all states legalized it, taxed it, and the government was forced to pay all of the tax collected from it to the debt?
A combined-effort suggested (in 2009).....​

"According to Gettman, the retail value of the total U.S. marijuana market now stands at a whopping $113 billion per year. Using standard tax percentages obtained from the Office of Management and Budget, he calculates that the diversion of this market from the taxable economy deprives taxpayers of $31.1 billion annually."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Pw-IEdrUU]YouTube - Border Agent Testifies for Marijuana Legalization[/ame]​

I get the legalization part, and eagerly await the end of corruption associated with the wod. I don't get the enthusiasm from the same folks for regulation and taxation once it is legal. The stuff will grow wild with next to no effort and do you want the tax man in your back yard garden?
....Just like he's kickin'-in all o' the front-doors where people are makin' their own beer & wine, huh??

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I get the legalization part, and eagerly await the end of corruption associated with the wod. I don't get the enthusiasm from the same folks for regulation and taxation once it is legal. The stuff will grow wild with next to no effort and do you want the tax man in your back yard garden?

does the tax man come into the houses of home brewers? its the same thing
(Whoops! :eusa_doh: )

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2:

It will pass in CA and will not be the first time that CA has moved this type of legislation forward. Comparing this to gay marriage is not a good comparison. There is clear support there for MJ and there has been support for some time. The fact that the feds will not stand in the way makes it clear the this will soon become a reality. It is funny though that the feds are blocking state law that agrees with federal law (AZ) and here is law that directly contradicts federal law and they are stepping aside. I would agree with legalization of MJ but find the actions of this administration highly hypocritical.

What makes you think the feds will not stand in the way? They routinely raid medical marijuana dispensaries, and even obtain convictions against people who use marijuana for medical reasons. Do you think they will step aside and allow people to freely and legally use marijuana for non medical purposes? They will subpoena the tax rolls and arrest everyone who sells the stuff.

Only dreamers think this will become law, and I am not a dreamer, despite being a libertarian who thinks that the feds do not have constitutional authority to even pass drug laws.

Things CHANGE........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qnwp6J7P20]YouTube - Marijuana Inc. on MSNBC with Al Roker - Part 1 of 5[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il7yw0JFs5c]YouTube - Hemp House - Asheville, NC[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZTLHEPrMc&feature=related]YouTube - The Market for Hemp Products[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZjwTnKSAg&feature=related]YouTube - Legalizing industrial hemp- Reasons why[/ame]​

Miss_Cleo.jpg

In 6 months after passage Monsanto will patent the various strains of MJ, and sue everybody growing their own anyway.:doubt:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....I think you forgot to say: "I GUARANTEE YOU....."

It's a feedom issue, to me I'd rather have it not a criminal offense and not taxes and regulated/turned over to Malboro and company to Wallmartize it.

And to the guy, if you were a Dr. LOL well your not, and you might not understand it's benefit to all the other ailments that real doctors do.

Obama is still a tool because as a ghanja lover, he sits on a RACIST federal law and mocks the grassroots movement to legalize that helped get him elected. His progress realized is a joke compared top the good he could be achieving were in not is fear of republican reprisal.
Yeah.....whatta shame he isn't more-concerned about YOUR agenda....in his FIRST-term.

Try a little patience.

Obama is neither your Mom NOR Dad.​

solve everything far from it, but if your curing terrible social ills and getting a billion in the tax till you didn't have is a decent deal. Lot's in Cali will only vote for the measure to collect that tax.
....And, that's a bad-thing, huh??

The sequence (of things) is more-important (to you) than the eventual-outcome???? :confused:

Smoking marijuania isn't a FEDERAL issue.

Its not a STATE issu, either.

It's a CIVIL RIGHTS issue.

What state has the right to tell anybody what they can do or not do with their bodies?
A TOTALITARIAN State.

soldier.jpg

461.jpg

Let Teabaggers be Teabaggers.​

tell that to the over 1 million jailed for possession since Obama took office.

It's a feedom issue, to me I'd rather have it not a criminal offense and not taxes and regulated/turned over to Malboro and company to Wallmartize it.

And to the guy, if you were a Dr. LOL well your not, and you might not understand it's benefit to all the other ailments that real doctors do.

Obama is still a tool because as a ghanja lover, he sits on a RACIST federal law and mocks the grassroots movement to legalize that helped get him elected. His progress realized is a joke compared top the good he could be achieving were in not is fear of republican reprisal.

I fail to see how legalization is less free than decriminalization. Just because it is 'Walmartized' does not mean that you cannot grow your own if you want. This just gives you greater choice as well as a revenue stream for the state. I cannot see a single drawback from legalization over decriminalization. I would never vote for such a measure as I feel that if we are going to accept it as a legal substance then we need to go all the way. The biggest advantage I can see anyway is the ability to regulate pot anyway. If you pick it up from a store there is virtually zero chance that it is laced with another drug and that can happen quite frequently from the corner drug dealer.

Yeah your right my only gripe about taxing can be overcome bybhome grown, though it's possible under decrim you could have local growers suppling quality bud without the tabacco companies taking over.

I am not a Doctor, but I am a third year medical student, so at this point there is a high probability that I will be a doctor and that will be my attitude. I didn't go into medicine to become a pot dealer nor did I go into medicine to practice bad prescription practices and become someone's candyman and give patients everything they want.

I'd be glad to look at any peer-reviewed literature you have that supports MJ for the vast indications it's currently prescribed for.

Medicine should be evidence based. There isn't a lot of evidence supporting the indications for MJ for much of anything. So, unless someone has a terminal condition and there isn't the time/luxury to explore better options, then it's tough shit.

The people who think MJ is some sort of miracle drug are moronic. Of course getting stoned is going to keep you from being anxious. Is going through life stoned a better alternative?

No.

I used to support medicinal MJ, but after seeing what happened in California I am skeptical now.

Just legalize it so I can avoid the awkward "I am sorry, you aren't getting Marijuania for your ingrown toenail" conversations.

Last edited:

I am not a Doctor, but I am a third year medical student, so at this point there is a high probability that I will be a doctor and that will be my attitude. I didn't go into medicine to become a pot dealer nor did I go into medicine to practice bad prescription practices and become someone's candyman and give patients everything they want.

I'd be glad to look at any peer-reviewed literature you have that supports MJ for the vast indications it's currently prescribed for.

Medicine should be evidence based. There isn't a lot of evidence supporting the indications for MJ for much of anything. So, unless someone has a terminal condition and there isn't the time/luxury to explore better options, then it's tough shit.

The people who think MJ is some sort of miracle drug are moronic. Of course getting stoned is going to keep you from being anxious. Is going through life stoned a better alternative?

No.

I used to support medicinal MJ, but after seeing what happened in California I am skeptical now.

Just legalize it so I can avoid the awkward "I am sorry, you aren't getting Marijuania for your ingrown toenail" conversations.

I can agree with this. There are medical uses for MJ, mainly concerning terminal cases of cancer but the fact is that the VAST majority that were using it as a medicine were simply using that as an excuse to purchase it and actually did not have a real need. The medical MJ became a joke in the way it was prescribed. I would have thought that the law regarding the legalization if it for medicinal purposes would have been better thought out but that is rarely the case these days. The sad part is that behavior like this ends up hurting the actual people that were supposed to be helped in the first place.

I can agree with this. There are medical uses for MJ, mainly concerning terminal cases of cancer but the fact is that the VAST majority that were using it as a medicine were simply using that as an excuse to purchase it and actually did not have a real need. The medical MJ became a joke in the way it was prescribed. I would have thought that the law regarding the legalization if it for medicinal purposes would have been better thought out but that is rarely the case these days. The sad part is that behavior like this ends up hurting the actual people that were supposed to be helped in the first place.

And it's only the "bad medicine" aspect of it that I disagree with. That's why I think they should just legalize it. I don't give a shit if someone smokes pot. I can't fathom why someone would.

"Medicinal MJ" is a sham. It's a fucking shame too, because there was a lot of potential for good there too. I saw a documentary of an HIV positive man that was completely emaciated ten years ago and on death's bed. He now looks normal and health because he uses MJ to help him eat and stave off the side effects of the anti-retrovirals he was on. I have no doubt that he would have been dead years ago without MJ.

However, that's sadly the exception. What you have now is an inordinate amount of people who are getting MJ scripts for "anxiety" or "to help me sleep" and that's total bullshit. For one thing, MJ isn't well studied for anything for any indication other than pallative care or comfort. For the other, there are better medications for those problems. Giving someone MJ for anxiety is like giving someone alcohol for stress. You are just masking the problem.

Then you have frigging Doctors who are finishing medical school, doing one year shotgun residencies so they have prescription rights and setting up shops solely to write pot scripts. They have wasted a slot in medical school that could have been used to actually treat patients to become a legal pot dealer.

That's another reason I hope it's legalized. To screw those motherfuckers over.

So I couldn't agree with you more.

I used to be a strong advocate for medicinal MJ and now I think it's a joke. I don't even know if I would vote for it in my state.

Don't sit back and relax just yet. Were there times when Proposition 8 (gay marriage) had majority opposition in polls? Look how that one turned out.

I honestly think people thought they voted FOR gay rights. This legal mary jane thing is a good thing in my opinion. I cant partake, not for a couple more years since I am still technically OWNED by the Navy for a bit, but go for it people. Good for you.

geezus Zona....is this the Twilight Zone?.....something me and you actually agree on....:eusa_eh:

if i dont sell it what is there to tax?....

What makes you think the feds will not stand in the way? They routinely raid medical marijuana dispensaries, and even obtain convictions against people who use marijuana for medical reasons. Do you think they will step aside and allow people to freely and legally use marijuana for non medical purposes? They will subpoena the tax rolls and arrest everyone who sells the stuff.

Only dreamers think this will become law, and I am not a dreamer, despite being a libertarian who thinks that the feds do not have constitutional authority to even pass drug laws.

out here most these "stores" are standing without any problems inside Cities who have oked it as long as certain conditions are met....the Anaheim cops i have talked to while having Coffee with them in the morning say they "seem" to overlook pot in peoples possesion as long as it isnt something outrageous ........

if i dont sell it what is there to tax?....

Never underestimate the state's desire for revenue.

You missed the part where I called Obama a tool. That said you could try and deny the increase in states approving medical or the explosion of dispensaries. You'd just be flat wrong, we have miles to go but everybody in the movement knows we've come miles since Obama. I seriously doubt we'd even see a prop 19 under bushe's ghestapo. Remember Ashcroft the worlds biggest tool and bush's atty general. He spent millions to jail Tommy Chong for selling bongs. Yeah we've made no progress. Lofl

You claimed there is a difference in the way Obama is enforcing the law in that he is only going against people who break state law. Obama may, or may not be, a tool, but if you believe that soundbite you are definitely a fool. I proved that a lie without any trouble, and can provide dozens of examples of raids conducted by the DEA where the people were in compliance with state laws, and were convicted anyway.

Santa Ana,Long Beach and a few other cities have many dispensaries without no one bothering them.....as long as those places follow the State guidelines....even Anaheim which has said it will not allow them because they are not Zoned for them,when in actuality they dont want them around Disneyland and the Stadium complex.....a council member said recently that this topic was brought up at a recent meeting....he said if this thing passes Anaheim may have to consider changing some Zoning in the areas outside the "tourist Hub"......the tax revenue may be to good to ignore....the attitude out here has changed quite a bit concerning pot in the last 10-15 years.....

Forum List

Back