Bipartisan efforts

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Sky Dancer, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Instead of the usual dualistic lib/con name calling fest I thought maybe we could discuss bipartisanship. What do you think? I found this example:

"Identify yourself as a "Democrat" or "Republican," and hardly anybody will accuse you of being a reformer. Party labels of any kind are increasingly -- and correctly -- seen as obstacles to the kind of sweeping change voters want.

That political mindset explains how Democrat Andrew Cuomo wound up on Long Island yesterday, standing with Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano, a Republican. They joined forces to push for an annual 2 percent cap on property taxes, an appealing image of bipartisan support for the popular idea.

It was an unlikely scenario, given that another Long Island Republican, Rick Lazio, is running against Cuomo for governor. And that's the point, especially for Cuomo."

A bipartisan balancing act - NYPOST.com

2. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,125
    The only bipartisanship that I've witnessed as of late meant that republicans cave to the dem agenda. Is that what you think bipartisanship should be?

Seems to me that the only time you dems bring this up is when it looks like you can no longer RAIL ROAD your agenda through. Then all of a sudden you need "bipartisanship."

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    For any group to believe that the entire country should live the way THEY believe all should live is flat out NOT what America was built on.

As a conservative, my values are there to guide me throiugh life. I do not ask others to live the way I do and I do not ask others to pay for my decisions in life. I do not ask others to take the blame for my bad decisions and I most certainly do not cast the blame in their direction. I do not insist others conduct business with me, alkhough they are always welcome to do so if they wish. I do not expect others to think the way I do for me to conduct business with them. I like diversity and I never judge people based on faith or ideology.

I will not vote against anyones right to do what they want, be it abortion or gay marriage. All I ask is that they not ask me to change MY principles to accommodate their wishes. Likewiase, I ask them NOT to force me to compromise my beliefs and indirectly pay for them to do things that I consider immoral...such as abortion.

I am what my wife refers to as a bi-partisan conservative. I will vote for gay marriage, but I do not agree wth gay marriage per my PERSONAL pricniples. I will vote for abortion although per my PERSONAL proinciples, it is murder. I will always vote AGAINST tax payer funds going towards abortion. But as I said, if people want to abort, UI will not get 8in their way. They have my vote.

Bi partisanship is not hard to acheive.

Sadly, our politicians have the enitre populace wrapped up in things being "the other party's fault" and so the people jumped on the bandwagon......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Snowe and Collins.

Nuf said?

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    I prefer Rubio's ideology over Crists....but I admire Crists strength to cast the party aside.

If I were a Floridian, he would have my vote based on non party affiliation alone.

6. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I like your approach, Jarhead. I feel similarly. Someone is always trying to put me in a box with a label. Like you, my views are nuanced too. I am considered liberal. I am personally against abortion for moral reasons, yet I politically support a woman's right to choose because I feel that choice is between her, the father of the child, her doctor and minister. I remember when back alleys abortions and suicide and shame were the only options for an unwanted pregnancy. I do not want to see us return to that time.

I am a legally married lesbian. I married my partner of 25 years in the window when it was legal in California before the LDS and Catholic churches organized for Prop 8. It's made a tremendous difference in my life. I support marriage equality.

I'd like to see an uprising of citizens demanding that our elected officials work in a bi-partisan manner.

We the people, have to let the media know that we won't allow them to divide us.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    I fear it is too late. And I do not blame the media. I blame ourselves. We allowed the politicians and the media to dictate our thinking as it pertains to those that do not think like us.

The country has been successfully divided. We may be at a point of no return.

I hope I am wrong.

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    If a group like the Tea Party can come along, so can others. I think most citizens are sick to death of petty squabbling.

We can't give up just because it looks dismal.

I'm going to give it a try just on this message board. Why not?

9. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,521
    Bi-polar with Parkinson's?

:)

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,286
    And look at how the left, the media, and demoicratic politicians treated the tea partyers. It gives people reason to "stay out of it"........