Yes on Prop 19 Winning 52%-36%; Majority Supports Legalizing Marijuana

topspin

Rookie
Apr 29, 2010
Yes on Prop 19 Winning 52%-36%; Majority Supports Legalizing Marijuana
By: Jon Walker Monday July 26, 2010 7:44 pm
Tweet99 Share1252

Proposition 19, which would legalize, tax and regulate marijuana for adults over 21 years old, is currently winning by a wide margin among California voters according to a new PPP poll. The measure is supported by 52% of voters while opposed by only 36%.

Prop 19 PPP (7/23-25)
Support 52%
Oppose 36%
Not Sure 12%

This is the largest margin of support we have seen from recent polling on Prop 19. Interestingly, the poll found support among African Americans to be extremely high. From PPP blog:

Democrats are more likely to throw their support behind the prop than Republicans. 62% of Democrats, 37% of Republicans and 55% of Independents support Prop 19.

African-Americans are the strongest supporters of Prop 19; 68:32, followed by Whites who support it 53:37.

Those are surprisingly high numbers among African Americans. A SurveyUSA poll from earlier this month had African Americans on average about as likely to support Prop 19 as whites. Significantly, a small percentage of African Americans said they were certain to oppose it.

Both this PPP Poll and the SurveyUSA poll directly contradict a Field Poll (PDF) which had African Americans dramatically less supportive of Prop 19 than whites in California. It would seem that there is a problem accurately gauging support for Prop 19 among the African American community. This might be due to the taboo nature of this specific policy issue resulting from the government spending huge amounts of money on anti-marijuana propaganda for decades. It is possible that African Americans, and possibly other ethnic groups, don’t feel comfortable telling pollsters their actual position on legalizing cannabis.

Plurality of American adults supports legalizing marijuana.

In addition, there is more good news about support for marijuana legalization from Rasmussen Reports. For the first time, their poll of all American adults has a plurality supporting legalization: 43% think marijuana should be legalized while 42% think it should remain illegal. That is a significant improvement from a similar Rasmussen poll just a little over a year ago, which found 41% supporting legalization and 49% opposed. It is possible that Prop 19, by bringing the debate to the forefront, is starting to noticeably move national opinions by forcing people to take some time to actually think about the issue.

The most interesting part of the Rasmussen poll is that a solid majority thinks legalization is a real possibility in the relatively short term.

65% believe it is at least somewhat likely marijuana will be legalized in the United States in the next 10 years. Just 28% do not expect this to happen. Those numbers include 29% who say it is Very Likely pot will be legal in the next 10 years and five percent (5%) who say it is Not At All Likely.

It is important to point out that the subset of American adults who actually vote tends to be older and less supportive of legalization than the general public, so we probably have not yet reached the point where a plurality of the all important “likely voters” supports legalization, but at the current rate that point could be reached soon.
Yes on Prop 19 Winning 52%-36%; Majority Supports Legalizing Marijuana | Elections

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
Don't sit back and relax just yet. Were there times when Proposition 8 (gay marriage) had majority opposition in polls? Look how that one turned out.

Last edited:
  • Banned
If I lived in Cali I'd be working for it. I can just pray to Jah from Louisiana.

Doritos.jpg

Isn't there still the fact that Pot is a federally regulated substance?

• Banned
Isn't there still the fact that Pot is a federally regulated substance?

True, Obama is a tool on the issue. But that said, he has said several time he won't get in the way of the states deciding for themselves. Dude burned tree lots, he's had Bob Marley's kids at the white house. He's afraid of being labled by the right so he's just stepping aside. Cali has way more dispenceries since he's got in office, are they still raiding some that are using it as a cover to try and be Weedmart? Yes

It will pass in CA and will not be the first time that CA has moved this type of legislation forward. Comparing this to gay marriage is not a good comparison. There is clear support there for MJ and there has been support for some time. The fact that the feds will not stand in the way makes it clear the this will soon become a reality. It is funny though that the feds are blocking state law that agrees with federal law (AZ) and here is law that directly contradicts federal law and they are stepping aside. I would agree with legalization of MJ but find the actions of this administration highly hypocritical.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

another step towards real freedom and the dismantling of the anti-freedom, trillion plus dollar, completely failed drug war

I understand some of you want to see it legalized. Honestly, I am not sure what my position is on it anymore. But it seems that focusing on this when there are so many other important issues out there, is kind of short sighted.

What does it matter if marijuana is legalized if we are unemployed, have no control over our health care, have to pay $8 Gasoline, and have widespread corruption through the system?

Don't sit back and relax just yet. Were there times when Proposition 8 (gay marriage) had majority opposition in polls? Look how that one turned out.

I honestly think people thought they voted FOR gay rights. This legal mary jane thing is a good thing in my opinion. I cant partake, not for a couple more years since I am still technically OWNED by the Navy for a bit, but go for it people. Good for you.

I understand some of you want to see it legalized. Honestly, I am not sure what my position is on it anymore. But it seems that focusing on this when there are so many other important issues out there, is kind of short sighted.

What does it matter if marijuana is legalized if we are unemployed, have no control over our health care, have to pay $8 Gasoline, and have widespread corruption through the system?

I don't think anyone is "focusing" on this, except for maybe the California organizing staff of NORML.

Nevertheless, Good deal. I might move west, if it passes.

It's the most important issue.
1 racism got prohibition past in the 30's for industrialist.
2 800,000 arevarrested annually for pot costing billions. Even Palin knows that's existed tax dollars.
3 doctors are recommending it for anxiety, pain relief, nausea, ms and many other ailments. It's obviously less harmful than beer or tobacco
4. Sales are more than wine in Cali, tax collection would approach a billion

the biggest two groups fighting against this type of legislation are:
1) drug cartels
2) big government politicians and their minions

does that tell you anything?

I wonder how soon the debt would be gone if all states legalized it, taxed it, and the government was forced to pay all of the tax collected from it to the debt?

I get the legalization part, and eagerly await the end of corruption associated with the wod. I don't get the enthusiasm from the same folks for regulation and taxation once it is legal. The stuff will grow wild with next to no effort and do you want the tax man in your back yard garden?

I get the legalization part, and eagerly await the end of corruption associated with the wod. I don't get the enthusiasm from the same folks for regulation and taxation once it is legal. The stuff will grow wild with next to no effort and do you want the tax man in your back yard garden?

does the tax man come into the houses of home brewers? its the same thing

It will pass in CA and will not be the first time that CA has moved this type of legislation forward. Comparing this to gay marriage is not a good comparison. There is clear support there for MJ and there has been support for some time. The fact that the feds will not stand in the way makes it clear the this will soon become a reality. It is funny though that the feds are blocking state law that agrees with federal law (AZ) and here is law that directly contradicts federal law and they are stepping aside. I would agree with legalization of MJ but find the actions of this administration highly hypocritical.

What makes you think the feds will not stand in the way? They routinely raid medical marijuana dispensaries, and even obtain convictions against people who use marijuana for medical reasons. Do you think they will step aside and allow people to freely and legally use marijuana for non medical purposes? They will subpoena the tax rolls and arrest everyone who sells the stuff.

Only dreamers think this will become law, and I am not a dreamer, despite being a libertarian who thinks that the feds do not have constitutional authority to even pass drug laws.

New Topics

Forum List

Back