Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.
I guess this kind of thing is all about whether it's YOUR ox being gored or not, eh?

Michigan House Introduces Bill to Repeal Rent Control Act. Representatives in the Michigan House have introduced a bill (HB4456) to repeal the Michigan Rent Control Act. ... When prices are capped, people have less incentive to fix up and rent out their basement flat, or to build rental property.
Michigan House Introduces Bill to Repeal Rent Control Act - RPOA …
--------------------------------------------------------
We have a Republican maj.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.

Johnson City Average Rent
As of October 2018, average rent for an apartment in Johnson City, TN is $1002 which is a 27.74% increase from last year when the average rent was $724 , and a 0.9% increase from last month when the average rent was $993.

One bedroom apartments in Johnson City rent for $761 a month on average (a 17.61% increase from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $1033 (a 29.04% increase from last year).
Average Rent In Johnson City, Johnson City Rent Trends and Rental Comps

You are a conservative, but....

lol

But you have railed in favor of the federal gov't taking over major league baseball.
You want people arrested for calling you a "dumbass".
You want people arrested if they don't stand for the anthem.
And you want rent control.

And those are just SOME of the views you have raved about.

Saying we need rent control is like saying you need to put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. If you don't want your rent to go up, then buy a place. In places where they do have rent control people sign a lease and then live in that place for 30 - 40 years. The owners go bankrupt because after 30 years the rent no longer covers the upkeep on the property.

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

what did you expect was gonna happen?

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

What does any of that have to do with rent control? You think the Secretary of HUD is going to prevent rents from increasing? That takes a special kind of stupid.

What does any of that have to do with rent control? You think the Secretary of HUD is going to prevent rents from increasing? That takes a special kind of stupid.

uh... where the hell do you think guidelines originate? wow- you didn't think that one thru, did you?

uh... where the hell do you think guidelines originate? wow- you didn't think that one thru, did you?

Guidelines? Those are not law. If an area passes a law allowing rent control, HUD does not set the rent. Nor does HUD have any control over what areas allow rent-control.

HUD doesn't issue "guidelines" on rent, dumbass. The federal government doesn't control rents. It never has.

HUD doesn't issue "guidelines" on rent, dumbass. The federal government doesn't control rents. It never has.

i didn't say that - what i said is they set the guidelines as far as what can be done - or not done - as far as raising rents to the point of evictions ... especially in 'rent controlled' apartments & housing.

Which part of the State are you looking at........and have you used your VA loan.............You can still get a guaranteed loan on that with bad credit. You can also talk to real estate companies to help you look for a home in your price range. I have a Brother N law who doesn't make much. Got into a brick home with a fenced in yard for only $350 a month. Only about a 1000 square foot but very nice for such a low price.

If you rent you are always at the mercy of the land lord. And even with bad credit you can possibly better your situation by buying.

This is interesting. WHO ARE THE LANDLORDS? Why is it some places have rents so high they are vacant for years. Folks, real estate is not free market. Certain groups bought stuff up decades ago. Very troubling that this concept is not addressed. Buying property is not free market since you have to pay ridiculous taxes on the property, plus the ridiculous amounts to the "realtors."

IMO, the local governments should take over a property if it is not leased or purchased within 12 months. Rather than creepy, ethnic syndicates own the property.

I'm a conservative and I don't disagree with this. It's the reason I'm not a libertarian. The free market needs some oversight.

I'm sorry about this--grossly unfair.

In my mind, maintaining a level playing field IS conservative

~S~

Forum List

Back