Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

what did you expect was gonna happen?
What does any of that have to do with rent control? You think the Secretary of HUD is going to prevent rents from increasing? That takes a special kind of stupid.

uh... where the hell do you think guidelines originate? wow- you didn't think that one thru, did you?
HUD doesn't issue "guidelines" on rent, dumbass. The federal government doesn't control rents. It never has.

i didn't say that - what i said is they set the guidelines as far as what can be done - or not done - as far as raising rents to the point of evictions ... especially in 'rent controlled' apartments & housing.
"Guidelines" for who? Do they issue them to landlords? If so, I guarantee you the landlords would simply throw them into the the trash and then charge with the traffic will bare. I'm fairly certain you just made up the "guidelines" thing.

Saying it issues guidelines in the case of rent controlled apartments is even dumber. Why would they need guidelines if the local government already has legal limits on what they can charge?

This is interesting. WHO ARE THE LANDLORDS? Why is it some places have rents so high they are vacant for years. Folks, real estate is not free market. Certain groups bought stuff up decades ago. Very troubling that this concept is not addressed. Buying property is not free market since you have to pay ridiculous taxes on the property, plus the ridiculous amounts to the "realtors."

IMO, the local governments should take over a property if it is not leased or purchased within 12 months. Rather than creepy, ethnic syndicates own the property.
"Certain groups bought stuff up decades ago?" That's your "logic" proving the free market doesn't exist?

You don't know the meaning of the term "free market." You're a Stalinist. Landlords do not allow property to sit vacant for years at a time if they can help it.

Which part of the State are you looking at........and have you used your VA loan.............You can still get a guaranteed loan on that with bad credit. You can also talk to real estate companies to help you look for a home in your price range. I have a Brother N law who doesn't make much. Got into a brick home with a fenced in yard for only $350 a month. Only about a 1000 square foot but very nice for such a low price.

If you rent you are always at the mercy of the land lord. And even with bad credit you can possibly better your situation by buying.
The only poster who actually posted something that will help him.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.
Yes, because unqualified people buying houses worked SO WELL last time!

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I disagree. I believe that it should just be much easier to buy a home in the first place.

I didn't say they should be mortgaging themselves out of a life. I said it should be easier to buy a home, as in, CHEAPER HOMES.

what do you expect when a brain surgeon who turned down the position to be sec of HHS because it was 'too complicated' (ironically though he ran for potus) then accepts the position of sec of HUD? what qualifications did he possess to be considered for such a position? cause he had the right 'look'?

trump has installed the most incompetent individuals to head every dept in order to destroy them. betsy devos for ed sec? scott pruitt & now his replacement for sec of EPA?

What does any of that have to do with rent control? You think the Secretary of HUD is going to prevent rents from increasing? That takes a special kind of stupid.

uh... where the hell do you think guidelines originate? wow- you didn't think that one thru, did you?
HUD doesn't issue "guidelines" on rent, dumbass. The federal government doesn't control rents. It never has.

i didn't say that - what i said is they set the guidelines as far as what can be done - or not done - as far as raising rents to the point of evictions ... especially in 'rent controlled' apartments & housing.
"Guidelines" for who? Do they issue them to landlords? If so, I guarantee you the landlords would simply throw them into the the trash and then charge with the traffic will bare. I'm fairly certain you just made up the "guidelines" thing.

Saying it issues guidelines in the case of rent controlled apartments is even dumber. Why would they need guidelines if the local government already has legal limits on what they can charge?

each state has their tweeked guidelines, but all must follow regulations set at the federal level.

'I'm fairly certain you just made up the "guidelines" thing'

didn't even bother to look it up, huh? that's why trump loves the poorly educated

HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

https://www.hud.gov/sites/documents/DOC_25304.PDF

Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

Having lived in both Alabama and Tennessee, I'm not sure what your point is. Protectionista is retired and living on a fixed income. States with a lower cost of living is what he wants. And the warmer climate is easier on the elderly.

each state has their tweeked guidelines, but all must follow regulations set at the federal level.

didn't even bother to look it up, huh? that's why trump loves the poorly educated

Isn't that for places that already have rent control?

Saying we need rent control is like saying you need to put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. If you don't want your rent to go up, then buy a place. In places where they do have rent control people sign a lease and then live in that place for 30 - 40 years. The owners go bankrupt because after 30 years the rent no longer covers the upkeep on the property.

Where do they have rent control. Also no ones signs a least for that long, 1 year is the normal lease time.

He has a set income level.......and that set income level can be scheduled to be withdrawn directly from those checks.

Meaning they get paid before he does..............Guaranteeing the mortgage is paid. And we are certainly not talking about him buying a mansion.............It is always better to buy than rent unless you want your fate decided by others.............

In this area.......if you can find cheap decent land in a low crime area you can get a brand new house built here very cheap.

Perhaps not as much as where he lives now but it's possible. The cost of buying would be less than that of rent.

North Florida Models - Pensacola, FL - SS Steele Homes

Doesn't cost so much in the South to build a home...........if you know how to look...........or unless you want to get fucked by a developer and overcharged for a home. Younger people should look into this and save every penny they can to get a place of their own..................

It all depends if you live in a high cost area for housing...........Plenty of places to get affordable places to live in this country. Supply and demand works both ways as California is finding out.........People are hauling ass because it costs too much only to be replaced by illegal aliens at the work place...............People leave the companies there are screwed LOL

It's a 2 edged sword.

doesn't the OP want in on that?

And the new Medicaid Secretary sought to end Medicaid in her state of Maine.

Yes he does. Being a smaller gov't conservative, until he wants something from the gov't.

Having to Decide between Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee.... great planning

Having lived in both Alabama and Tennessee, I'm not sure what your point is. Protectionista is retired and living on a fixed income. States with a lower cost of living is what he wants. And the warmer climate is easier on the elderly.
Down in our area it's not real difficult to find affordable places to stay...........biggest issue is finding affordable places to stay that aren't in high crime areas..................which is part of the equation...............

The area my Brother n law got was pretty good..............safe............took a bit but we knew where to look because we live here and know where not to go.

Yes he does. Being a smaller gov't conservative, until he wants something from the gov't.

that is the typical hypocritical 'conservative'.

Forum List

Back