Yes, I'm a Conservative, But SOME Rent Control IS Necesary

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

You sound like Gracie and what she was talking about in California

Go to south Carolina or Wyoming.
"Going" costs money, and it's not easy to do when you have a cat. I have been thinking about going to Johnson City, TN, but getting there is the problem.

"Going" costs money, and it's not easy to do when you have a cat. I have been thinking about going to Johnson City, TN, but getting there is the problem.

I lived there for a bit... It's kind of seedy ..

But they have industry ..I worked next to the river at a plastic factory..they have cheap places to live .

I lived there for a bit... It's kind of seedy ..
But they have industry ..I worked next to the river at a plastic factory..they have cheap places to live .
They also have a VA hospital, or I would have chosen Knoxville.

I live in an apartment complex, that recently was bought by a new landlord. That landlord has been increasing expired lease rents by as much as 60%. Imagine that your rent is $600/month and suddenly it's damn near $1,000/month.

Whoa! For low income seniors on Social Security and small pensions, this aint gonna fly. Actually, younger people still in the workforce with higher incomes, aren't taking to well to it either. Practically everybody in this complex is moving out. Some people are moving in and paying the higher rents, but not as many as are moving out. I've never seen so many moving vans in my life.

Next May, I will be moving out too, and still haven't figured out where to move to. I have limitations because of a low credit score and income, but I'll find someplace, even if it's not as good as where I am now.

All this is because Florida has no limit of what landlords can raise rents to. The only thing limiting them is new residents' capability to pay, and what they are able to rent apartments for.

But there is another side to this, This isn't oil or minerals mined from the ground. It's not furniture being made and sold. This is about PEOPLE. And it's about people who have been living in this complex for years, and these apartments are their HOMES. One woman who just moved out, had been living here for 25 years. Longtime neighbor-friendships are being obliterated.

If landlords NEED to raise rents, (say 10% or less) for some reason, that's understandable, but to raise them by HUNDREDS of dollars, just for GREED, is not what we ought to be OK with in this country. When hundreds of people are forced out of their homes, this is unacceptable. As is the case with most conservatives, I also favor deregulation of business, but this is one case that is screaming for MORE regulation, to a reasonable degree.

I'm a conservative and I don't disagree with this. It's the reason I'm not a libertarian. The free market needs some oversight.

I'm sorry about this--grossly unfair.

It's as bad as Johnson City more better places to go.
What's wrong with Johnson City ? They have a VA hospital. That's important to me. Have a little snow at Christmas time. Orange leaves in fall. Real seasons.

Lower temperatures, and no alligators.

Have Walmart, Taco bell, Burger King, I don't need much more.

It's as bad as Johnson City more better places to go.
What's wrong with Johnson City ? They have a VA hospital. That's important to me. Have a little snow at Christmas time. Orange leaves in fall. Real seasons.

Lower temperatures, and no alligators.

Have Walmart, Taco bell, Burger King, I don't need much more.

It's too much city life for me..to much cluster fuck .

Everywhere they are raising rents like that. The rich get richer and the poor get homeless.

New Topics

Forum List

Back