Yeast evolves from single cell to Multi-cellular organism.

The article reads like the yeast is a 1%'er

"Since evolution acts on individual cells, it pays off for a cell to be selfish. By hogging resources and hindering neighbors, a cell can increase the odds that more of its own genes get passed into the next generation. This logic is one of the reasons it has been challenging to imagine how multicellularity arose; it requires the subjugation of self-interest in favor of the group’s survival."

Technically, "Evolution" does not work on individual cells, it supposedly work on amino acids. Nevertheless I forwarded this article to my son who is doing research work on yeast.

This sounds like a case of guiding the experiment to fit a preconceived conclusion.

We already know that yeast is a destructive creature.
Just seems more prudent to test the theory with something besides what is basically a "weed".

That wasn't the point, it establishes circumstances in which a unicellular organism would become a multicellular.

Nothing about this claims a conclusion, only evidence.

It's obvious that I'm no cellular biologist, but isn't it also obvious that yeast spreads and grows?

I'm just saying that I'd be more impressed if they could demonstrate the same behavior with, say, a cell from a human eye.

(I did enjoy the article and how the different times effected the growth structures, tho)
:cool:

Human eye cells are already differentiated and would not be a good choice for an expt. where you're trying to induce differentiation.

No, just observations from an experiment that points out one way that multicellur organisms might have evolved. As with abiogenisis, as we learn more, I bet we will find many other paths that life might have taken in this important step.

As for the creationists and Christians. I was raise in a family of Pentacostal people, and many of them believe in the literal interpretaion of the Bible. No deviation from Creationism allowed in their world.

I presume you are trying to disagree with me. Can you explain how what I said disagrees with what you said? By the way, we know less about abiogenesis than we do about evolution from uni to multi cellular life.

As for how you were raised, does that explain your ability to ignore facts that contradict your worldview, or do you simply choose to pretend everyone buy you is wrong?

That wasn't the point, it establishes circumstances in which a unicellular organism would become a multicellular.

It's obvious that I'm no cellular biologist, but isn't it also obvious that yeast spreads and grows?

I'm just saying that I'd be more impressed if they could demonstrate the same behavior with, say, a cell from a human eye.

(I did enjoy the article and how the different times effected the growth structures, tho)

Human eye cells are already differentiated and would not be a good choice for an expt. where you're trying to induce differentiation.

They are not trying to induce differentiation, they are trying to induce a new organism.

You're giving me too much credit.
I'm merely saying that it's easy to show growth in something that grows like a wild weed.
I would just like to see something "cooler".
Brain cells, maybe?

You're giving me too much credit.
I'm merely saying that it's easy to show growth in something that grows like a wild weed.
I would just like to see something "cooler".
Brain cells, maybe?
Bad idea.

Brain-From-Planet-Arous01.jpg

Forum List

Back