Y cons. talk radio is better than libs radio...

The ClayTaurus said:
All I was saying was, since I believe everyone lies, I extend that belief to Rush. I have no proof, which I've already admitted to you, I dunno, at least 3 times. You're too busy slurping around his rectum to notice.

But surely hate speech MUST involve deception. Or DOES the truth = hate?

rtwngAvngr said:
But surely hate speech MUST involve deception. Or DOES the truth = hate?

I don't think hatespeech requires deception. Deception usually ends up in the mix, but it's not a requirement.

Having browsed most syndicated talk show hosts in the country, let me offer my analysis.

Rush Limbaugh - He's ultra-conservative, pure and simple. He's not a Bush apologist, as I've seen him criticize Bush many times for not standing up to the Democrats, not cutting spending, and a few other things. He's actually quite intelligent, and is often right about his political predictions. He's a bit extreme for me to always agree with him, but he is entertaining. Also, Rush doesn't stick to politics. He also loves to talk about the NFL.

Sean Hannity - Not as conservative as Rush, but very rude. I've never seen him slam anyone who didn't deserve it, but I really think that's his main draw. Many of his guests end up in a heated argument with him. He also seems to be a bit whimsicle and doesn't always stick by his positions, but for the most part, he's a good guy and entertaining.

Neil Boortz - Straight talker. This guy's a libertarian, but not a nut like most of their party. His latest push is his book, "The Fair Tax Plan" which advocates the elimination of the federal income tax. The man is quite smart and very entertaining. He also doesn't hold back or take sides. Lately, he's been mainly attacking the liberals, but mainly because they're all crazy.

Glenn Beck - My favorite of the bunch. He offers "twice the comedy and half the politics." Mostly, Beck follows news stories that interest him, and stays away from boring stuff like Social Security. He's quite funny and I recommend him to anyone who will listen. Conservative slant.

Bill O'Reilly - A conservative leaning hardball player akin to Hannity, but a bit more polite and steadfast on his positions. He knows how to seperate the story from the commentary, and always lets his guests have the last word. I disagree with him from time to time, but since he keeps the facts and the comments seperate, I can respect his opinion.

Al Franken - He's been saying the same thing every day since the station aired. Bush lied about Iraq. 9/11 was an excuse to erode rights. Bush wants to help big business and nobody else. Bush is stupid. Bush is evil. Bush wants to destroy wildlife. Blah blah blah.

Genine Garafolo (I'm sure I spelled it wrong. What the hell kinda name is that, anyway?) - See Al Franken.

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't listen to him enough to know if he lies or not. I don't have any examples of him lying, but that doesn't mean he does or doesn't lie. I just don't have any proof, so I can't level the accusation. I don't think anyone always tells the truth.

You shouldnt be so pessimistic. I would hope that everyone is being honest. If we aren't then we live in a rather bleak world.

Hobbit said:
Having browsed most syndicated talk show hosts in the country, let me offer my analysis.

Rush Limbaugh - He's ultra-conservative, pure and simple. He's not a Bush apologist, as I've seen him criticize Bush many times for not standing up to the Democrats, not cutting spending, and a few other things. He's actually quite intelligent, and is often right about his political predictions. He's a bit extreme for me to always agree with him, but he is entertaining. Also, Rush doesn't stick to politics. He also loves to talk about the NFL.

Sean Hannity - Not as conservative as Rush, but very rude. I've never seen him slam anyone who didn't deserve it, but I really think that's his main draw. Many of his guests end up in a heated argument with him. He also seems to be a bit whimsicle and doesn't always stick by his positions, but for the most part, he's a good guy and entertaining.

Neil Boortz - Straight talker. This guy's a libertarian, but not a nut like most of their party. His latest push is his book, "The Fair Tax Plan" which advocates the elimination of the federal income tax. The man is quite smart and very entertaining. He also doesn't hold back or take sides. Lately, he's been mainly attacking the liberals, but mainly because they're all crazy.

Glenn Beck - My favorite of the bunch. He offers "twice the comedy and half the politics." Mostly, Beck follows news stories that interest him, and stays away from boring stuff like Social Security. He's quite funny and I recommend him to anyone who will listen. Conservative slant.

Bill O'Reilly - A conservative leaning hardball player akin to Hannity, but a bit more polite and steadfast on his positions. He knows how to seperate the story from the commentary, and always lets his guests have the last word. I disagree with him from time to time, but since he keeps the facts and the comments seperate, I can respect his opinion.

Al Franken - He's been saying the same thing every day since the station aired. Bush lied about Iraq. 9/11 was an excuse to erode rights. Bush wants to help big business and nobody else. Bush is stupid. Bush is evil. Bush wants to destroy wildlife. Blah blah blah.

Genine Garafolo (I'm sure I spelled it wrong. What the hell kinda name is that, anyway?) - See Al Franken.

Sean is rude? How do you figure that? He is one of the nicest guys on the radio. Yeah he will disagree very strongly with anyone he thinks is wrong about any issue but he is one of the nicest guys out there.

As for Glenn Ill tell him you like him so much the next time you see him:p

The ClayTaurus said:
I don't think hatespeech requires deception. Deception usually ends up in the mix, but it's not a requirement.

What DOES hate speech require?

You shouldnt be so pessimistic. I would hope that everyone is being honest. If we aren't then we live in a rather bleak world.

That's not as much pessimistic as it is realistic. You're more of a trusting person than I, it seems.

Hobbit said:

I'll add Tony Snow to the list. He mixes in some humor with his commentary, and the main thing I like about him is he knows his history. He busted John Edwards last year, when Edwards essentially ripped off a Robert Kennedy speech. Snow recognized some of the lines and was able to dig up the audio of Kennedy from 30+ years before.

As far as radio in general, I have my theory as to why Conservative talk is far more successful that Liberal talk.

Basically, Conservatives tend like listening to people who are like minded. Perhaps because most forms of the media don't present the Conservative view point without a smirk or an outright hateful tone. In any event, I think some Conservatives just like to hear someone who agrees with their opinion.

Liiberals, on the other hand, tend to like hearing opposing views, soemthing that might cause some conflict or confrontation. A Liberal is more apt to look for something from the other side, even if it is just to take the opposite view out of spite.

Also, Conservative talk is generally more entertaining. As Hobbit mentioned, the best known Liberal talk radio hosts right now are just broken records, not coming up with anything new. They could probably run a tape from two years ago and nobody would notice.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I'll add Tony Snow to the list. He mixes in some humor with his commentary, and the main thing I like about him is he knows his history. He busted John Edwards last year, when Edwards essentially ripped off a Robert Kennedy speech. Snow recognized some of the lines and was able to dig up the audio of Kennedy from 30+ years before.

As far as radio in general, I have my theory as to why Conservative talk is far more successful that Liberal talk.

Basically, Conservatives tend like listening to people who are like minded. Perhaps because most forms of the media don't present the Conservative view point without a smirk or an outright hateful tone. In any event, I think some Conservatives just like to hear someone who agrees with their opinion.

Liiberals, on the other hand, tend to like hearing opposing views, soemthing that might cause some conflict or confrontation. A Liberal is more apt to look for something from the other side, even if it is just to take the opposite view out of spite.

Also, Conservative talk is generally more entertaining. As Hobbit mentioned, the best known Liberal talk radio hosts right now are just broken records, not coming up with anything new. They could probably run a tape from two years ago and nobody would notice.

Radio also tends to be favored more by older folks, which tend to be more conservative.

True. I find myself listening to talk radio more and more, mostly because the music stations around here suck. Thank God for CD players.

Originally Posted by The ClayTaurus
Both conservative and liberal talk radio pander to their own. They merely provide new ways to hate the other side.

The ClayTaurus said:
Radio also tends to be favored more by older folks, which tend to be more conservative.

I believe your negative comments about talk radio are rooted in a liberal hatred of the medium because it is so successful - and not just with the old folks. In fact, talk radio has been SO successful that liberals want to shut it down.

Forum List

Back